DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

need help tuning upper maf tables

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 10:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
need help tuning upper maf tables

In order to hit the upper maf flows(checking my int to adjust from there) it seems like I have to go over the 70%-%TPS to enable wide open throttle vs rpm normal table on the 6E. Has anyone been increasing the % to enable; to tune the upper limits of the maf tables? Or just tuning up as far as you can with it at 70% and then tuning WOT? Also-another related ques. Under ecm constants-the min. delta tps for accel. enrich-(started with ARAP) it's at 3.9%; is everyone leaving that alone while tuning the maf tables? I have disabled the hwy mode while tuning, but am wondering about the rest.
also I noticed on the arap that the %tps to enable wide open throttle vs rpm hot table goes from 70% at 1200rpm to 14.8 % at 2000 and up rpm. Whats the definition of hot in that table? And why would it change at 2000rpm like that. I just can't figure the sense on that one. Thanks for any enlightenment!

------------------
86 406
Old 07-06-2001, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 385 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
That sounds like the way to tune the upper MAF tables, although I haven't done so myself. The definition of hot for that table is a coolant temp at/above 248 degrees F. At that point, going rich early helps keep the motor running cooler and probably helps prevent detonation too since a hotter engine is more likely to knock.

------------------
Greg Westphal
'87 IROC 355TPI/A4
Old 07-06-2001, 02:32 PM

That sounds like the way to go, although I haven't gotten to that point yet. Very similar to the method Traxion described in his P730 post.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by drive it:
In order to hit the upper maf flows(checking my int to adjust from there) it seems like I have to go over the 70%-%TPS to enable wide open throttle vs rpm normal table on the 6E. Has anyone been increasing the % to enable; to tune the upper limits of the maf tables? Or just tuning up as far as you can with it at 70% and then tuning WOT? Also-another related ques. Under ecm constants-the min. delta tps for accel. enrich-(started with ARAP) it's at 3.9%; is everyone leaving that alone while tuning the maf tables? I have disabled the hwy mode while tuning, but am wondering about the rest.
also I noticed on the arap that the %tps to enable wide open throttle vs rpm hot table goes from 70% at 1200rpm to 14.8 % at 2000 and up rpm. Whats the definition of hot in that table? And why would it change at 2000rpm like that. I just can't figure the sense on that one. Thanks for any enlightenment!
</font>
In a way your just making more owrk for yourself. If PE is enabled at 70% TPS, then why worry about the AFR in non PE mode at that TPS setting?. from watching my own driving style, I'm at low TPSs, or high ones, very little time is spent running in between the two.
To get any really high flow rates, at less then 40-50% is difficult. Personally I use alot lower PE enables. ie in the GN 11-20% are my PE enables.

Old 07-08-2001, 02:32 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grumpy:
In a way your just making more owrk for yourself. If PE is enabled at 70% TPS, then why worry about the AFR in non PE mode at that TPS setting?. from watching my own driving style, I'm at low TPSs, or high ones, very little time is spent running in between the two.
To get any really high flow rates, at less then 40-50% is difficult. Personally I use alot lower PE enables. ie in the GN 11-20% are my PE enables.

</font>
I understand this is with a MAF ecm but in the 730 article it states to go as high as you can on VE table without hitting PE. As I understand it, this is because PE is added to the VE table. If the VE table is as close as possible, tuning the PE should be easier, right? Of course you may not want to have PE enabling at 70% TPS (I assume every combination and driving style will be different, you like it at 20% or less) but getting the calibration right even if you don't intend to use it is a good thing, don't you think.

Old 07-08-2001, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hectorsn:
I understand this is with a MAF ecm but in the 730 article it states to go as high as you can on VE table without hitting PE. As I understand it, this is because PE is added to the VE table. If the VE table is as close as possible, tuning the PE should be easier, right? Of course you may not want to have PE enabling at 70% TPS (I assume every combination and driving style will be different, you like it at 20% or less) but getting the calibration right even if you don't intend to use it is a good thing, don't you think.
</font>
That's one area that's a big difference MAF to MAP. Tuning a VE table is really easy in book, MAF is a whole new animal. Changing a scaler by a value of 2 just can throw the whole column in the trash. My suggestion is staying out of the MAF table scalers and such as much as possible.

Old 07-08-2001, 03:16 PM

Car: 78 Regal
Engine: 82 FBod LG4 305, 730 ECM
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: 4.10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grumpy:
That's one area that's a big difference MAF to MAP. Tuning a VE table is really easy in book, MAF is a whole new animal. Changing a scaler by a value of 2 just can throw the whole column in the trash. My suggestion is staying out of the MAF table scalers and such as much as possible.

</font>
In that case, I'm glad I'll be using a SD ecm. Thanks Bruce.

Old 07-08-2001, 07:45 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
You might wish to look at the MAF Scalar Table settings in the ARAP BIN. It has some "subtle" differences over a stock BIN, but the differences are significant enough to make a difference. I found the ARAP BIN to be closer to 128/128 than the stock settings.