DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Problems linking ECM and Moates' Software

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: Chevy ZZ4
Transmission: Select Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles / 3.73 Richmond Gears
Problems linking ECM and Moates' Software

I just bought my ALDL cable from Andrew at AKM and I'm using a 300MHZ Compaq laptop but can't seem to link up. The last byte received keeps blinking between FC and 00 or F0, something like that. The Receiving/Echo Response is also flickering between FC and the 0 whenever I keep pressing 1 as told in the documentation. It only says on the bottom No Link/Try Again. Is there something I should try changing in the defaults of the program? I'm also currently running a TPIS prom in the ecm if that has any effect but I'm guessing that doesn't make a difference. I really don't want to put my own burned prom in until I can get the diagnostic program linked up.

One thing I noticed is that on my ALDL port there seems to be no contact or "pin" in the spot that the connector pin labeled M from the ALDL cable goes to. If this is correct then why would there be a pin in the spot labeled M on the cable I received?

I've heard of problems linking up with the 86 cars and mine is a late 86. Could TPIS have used an 86 program and that be causing me the problems? I plan on using 89 bins and have already got the $6E definition file for it. Would it make a difference linking up to try and use my own burned ARAP bin being it's an 89 file? I've come this far into getting into the prom burning/tuning and I refuse to let this stop me now.
Old 10-21-2001, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Burn yourself an 89 ARAP type EPROM program and pop it in. If it works, I'd be really interested to hear about it. This would suggest that there is some difficulty with the comm protocol (8192) on 86-types, and it can be corrected with a simple EPROM update.

If you see the 00-FC, that means you have a good contact on the data pin at the car. The fact that it doesn't link tells me that either it's a problem for the 86 EPROM/ECM(?) or that you have no 10K resistor in your circuit. Did you specify your year/model car? If so, he probably built it into the circuit. If not, maybe not. Check for it. A simple absence of 10K across A_B will prevent linking...
Old 10-21-2001, 08:43 PM

I did specify the year car and all to Andrew so I'm guessing the cable is correct but I'll double check it anyway. I'll try my ARAP burned prom in the next day or so. I'll post the results after I try it.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:12 PM

Man, I had a time with this! I tried all the interface circuits that have appeared here over time. The two that finally worked well for me did so after I modified the original diagram. Both circuits use a transistor to interface the PC's Tx line to the ALDL data line and specify a 10K resistor in series with the base. I decreased this to 1 - 2K in order to drive the ECM line closer to zero in the presence of the 160 baud being sent out. It links quickly and much more reliably with that modification. After the link is accepted, 10K works just fine probably because the data line is quiet. Other people have successfully used the AKM cable with an '86, so maybe this info is only applicable to the roll-your-own crowd.

One other thing: When my existing ECM was exchanged for a new rebuilt, it linked for the first time. The ALDL data line is 5v - maybe somebody applied 12v to it for too long? I was picking up data sent out by the ECM, the old unit just wasn't recieving the link request.

There is no M pin in the '86 ALDL. Most (all?) cables connect E and M together since later years use M for the same purpose.

Craig, if you're reading this, I found a link I promised. Here is the absolute best description of RS232 I have ever seen, with examples:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/serial/serial.htm

Jim
Red '86 4+3
Old 10-24-2001, 04:31 PM

Burned another ARAP prom and the car actually ran. Still problems but the chip must have burned ok. Still no link up though. On the bottom it does say 0/64 for the checksum. I'm taking that as 0 out of 64 so that can't be good right? I would guess I'm looking for 64/64. I'll keep at it, not giving up yet.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:42 PM

what OS are you running?

I was trying to use win98SE and it would not link at all even in safe mode prompt

I have to use a win95 boot disk that uses real dos to make it link

any how my 2 bits

------------------
1986 IROC 350 5spd
just installed a TPI from a 1988 IROC, 24# lt1 injectors,165 ECM MAF, custom sub frame
www.members.home.com/v8power/
GOT TOURQUE ?

[This message has been edited by v8power (edited October 24, 2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 04:16 PM

Still no link. I even tried bringing an old 133 Compaq desktop out to the car running only DOS 6.22 and it was the same thing. No link, try again. I tried using my own burned proms using the $6E file but it makes no difference. Burning is useless if I can't use diagnostics.

One thing I did check and that's the TPIS prom I have. Tunercat gave me this warning message:

The selected ECM Definition File is either not compatible with this source or the source file has been modified. The source file indicates that the $32 ECM Definition File should be used. Proceed Anyway?

When I chose yes I realized it was pointless. It showed my injector constants at 0.7 so I knew the info I was seeing was wrong. If I use the $32 definition will I be able to read it correctly or no b/c it may have been modified? My car is an 86 so I guess that's why they used that.

Anyway, now what do I do about the linking up? This is really starting to get to me, being able to burn proms but not being able to use them.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:21 AM

Car: 1991 T-Top RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
If I were you I'd go ahead and attach a 10K resistor between A and B anyways just in case. It sounds like what mine does if I don't have the resistor there.

------------------
1987 IROC-Z T-Tops wait... GUTTED MAF!