DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

165 MAF $32 questions - Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
165 MAF $32 questions - Newbie

Hello all, first post here. I've been reading up on this for a couple months, just bought the GP1 and burn2, etc. from Moates so now I'm ready to dive in. I have searched my question several days but don't really find my answer. If I'm not looking in the right place or asking it the right way, let me know.

First, here is my situation. I have a complete TPI350 with the harness and computer out of an 86 Corvette - all stock, not modified. It has the 165 ECM. It is going in a 72 chevy blazer. My first order of business will be to read the stock Bin, which I believe is $32 mask, disable vats, egr, air pump, etc., and go ahead and burn a new prom to get it going. I will be using the "flash n burn" and "TunerPro" software. I have been fooling around with it feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to do that.

Where things start to get fuzzy, is going to a different mask, say a $6e with ARAP bin to get rid of the cold-start-injector later on. Will my ecm automatically recognize the change in the mask and work with it? What I mean is, is there anything else I have to change at the same time computer wise. I know I will have to disable the C-S injector. I guess more specifically, if I burn a prom with a 1989 MAF bin and the correct $6e mask, will it work? is it that easy?

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Re: 165 MAF $32 questions - Newbie

Perhaps I would have to change to the 1989 memcal to change to $6e with ARAP since the ESC is contained on the memcal. I guess I would probably have to repin the ECM to 1989 specs. Is my logic correct?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 385 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

When I changed to the '89 program, I just used an '89 memcal and started with the ARAP bin. No repinning was needed.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 AM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s

I did the same as Greg, simply started with a $6E memcal and the ARAP bin. This is the '89 ECM stuff. This elimenates the 9th injector. The engine has always seems to run better with the $6E and my modified ARAP bin.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Awesome, thanks to both of you. I will be performing my first burn tonight to get the vats disabled. Now off to find a 89 memcal.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by bowtie316
Awesome, thanks to both of you. I will be performing my first burn tonight to get the vats disabled. Now off to find a 89 memcal.
You can use your current MEMCAL. The ESC module is still the external box on the '89s.

Note to be careful with ARAP. The spark timing is too aggressive for engines with iron heads. Even more so going from the lighter Corvette to a heavier vehicle.

RBob.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
You can use your current MEMCAL. The ESC module is still the external box on the '89s.

Note to be careful with ARAP. The spark timing is too aggressive for engines with iron heads. Even more so going from the lighter Corvette to a heavier vehicle.

RBob.
Thanks RBob, that's good news that I can use my memcal. Bad news about the timing curves, I had heard they might be agressive.

So... can I use ARAP to gain the better MAF tables but "cut and paste" per se the timing tables from my original 86 tune? If so, is it worthwile?

I won't have time to datalog and make changes for awhile so I'll probably just see how my 86 bin does. I have iron heads and my blazer will be pulling a trailer on occasion so I want to stay on the safe side. I will check to see if I have spark retard going on, if so I will try to back off the timing or run better fuel for now.

This makes me wonder if there is a better 1989 bin to start out with as a base, maybe one that is a little more conservative with the timing and such?

Last edited by bowtie316; 03-01-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Can start with one of these:

AUJM or AUJL

See this thread for a little more information:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-before-i.html

Note that these are all auto calibrations. If a stick shift then should start with a stick calibration. Nothing wrong with a copy & paste of the ARAP MAF tables into one of the above cals.

RBob.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Can start with one of these:

AUJM or AUJL

See this thread for a little more information:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-before-i.html

Note that these are all auto calibrations. If a stick shift then should start with a stick calibration. Nothing wrong with a copy & paste of the ARAP MAF tables into one of the above cals.

RBob.
Awesome, I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Ran into a snag last night, couldn't read my stock memcal. Well it would read but when I opened it in TunerPro nothing made any sense. I tried reading it with different chip settings (not sure which one is correct) and I tried several different definitions (32, 32B, 6E) and the numbers just didn't make sense.

I can load up ARAP into TunerPro and make changesand burn that onto a new chip with no problems, and i can read it just fine. I just can't get a good read on the stock prom for some reason. The prom reads ABTD 0731, I believe it was out of an 86 corvette, but it was part of a package I bought from someone so I can't verify. I just found that ABTD is supposed to be 1987 and use the 32B mask, I will try that again when I get home, but what chip should I have selected in Flash n Burn to read the stock chip?

I am just finishing getting the TPI engine into the truck, but it won't run with either bin, it would run for a few seconds on the stock memcal but I think Vats would kill it, couldn't really get it to do anything on the ARAP bin. Didn't have much time last night, I will get a noid light and check for injector signal as well as check for spark and see where I'm at.

Last edited by bowtie316; 03-02-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks for all the help so far. Here is my latest update.

By selecting the 27C128 chip in Flash n' burn I was able to get a good read using the 32B mask. Apparently my computer is an 87, and the ABTD bin uses 32B, I was apparently trying to use 32 since I was told it was an 86 when I bought it.

So now I have read the stock file, removed VATS and got the thing running, hooray! I also managed to get it running on the ARAP chip I burned. Double sweet.

The no start problem I was having was caused by a stuck tps, once I moved it back to idle it started pulsing the injectors and it started (it was stuck at WOT causing the ECM to defuel). It now stays running with the VATS removed.

In looking at the ABTD bin versus the ARAP bin, the timing tables are both pretty aggressive. So I started with a AUJL bin (based on recommendation from RBob) which has less aggressive timing (for iron heads) and copied and pasted the ARAP MAF tables and scalars to the AUJL bin. I haven't yet had a chance to try this bin but I think it will be a good starting point for tuning.

Now my current problem. The engine was only running on about 3 or 4 cylinders. Using a infrared thermometer I found 3 cylinders exhaust tubes running around 400 degrees and the remainder were between 175 and 75 degrees. Spark is good, compression is good, injector pulse is good, fuel pressure is good, but the spark plugs on these cylinders are dry. All the injectors ohmed out to 16.1 - 16.2, but i'm guessing several are either plugged up or otherwise non-functional. I ordered a set of the Gen III bosch injectors from Southbay but they screwed up shipping and I'm still waiting, impatiently.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Okay, new injectors are in finally and this thing runs like a top. Even runs good on the AUJL bin that I modified for it. It cranks over a little longer than I like but I will do some more searching and figure that out, I remember reading something about that.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Finally got to drive it, runs great. It has a little better throttle response and low end grunt than the vortec-head 355 (with XE268H cam) that I took out. It doesn't pull as hard in the upper rpm range but I don't really care, I want the grunt.

I ended up changing the crank PW vs. signal numbers (IIRC) to start fueling after the first pulse, that helped it start a little quicker.

Man I'm really digging being able to make changes and burn a prom, and it works.