DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

How to change some of the Values

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 S10 4X4
Engine: 1989 TPI 355
Transmission: NV-3500 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08
How to change some of the Values

Ok, got the truck running, was successful in load and running my first program attempt, only played with a few things such as the idle and VATS disable, manual transmission. Got my foot in the door.

The APU1 that I bought off of ebay also came with the adaptor, a whole crap load of chips, and a memcal header so I was able to download the "stock" bin that was for the 89 5.7 IROC AT (not sure which bin it is though).

So now I have my stock bin to start playing with. My question is how to change some of the "on-off" selections that I can not find in the 6e XDF.

I would like to disable the AIR system, since it was removed long ago, set my cooling fan on-off temps since I am running a 180 thermostat, I am running 24 pound MSD injectors so need to program for that, you get the picture.

All of the aforementioned changes were made on the chip/adapter that I got from TPIParts.net, but the values in the tables don't make sense running the 6e XDF. The prom ID, mask id, and checksum values are all FF
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: How to change some of the Values

Get a stock unmolested BIN from elsewhere. No way should you be starting with an unknown chip/calibration.

Also, the chip that you read is most likely a '256, which means that you need to read/program the top half of it. If it is a '512, then you need to program the top 1/4 of it. This is done via the buffer entries on the programmer.

RBob.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 AM

I do have a stock unmolested bin. When I built the truck, I had to disable the VATS so I ordered an adapter and custom PROM from TPIParts.net. I installed the adaptor, which is a Moates adapter, and the supplied PROM. I still have my stock memcal, it was plugged into the top of the adaptor and then into the ecm.

I have already downloaded the stock bin from my stock memcal to my laptop and have looked through it with the 6e.

My question is how do I turn somethings on or off starting with my stock bin, such as the AIR system, modify when my fans come on or off, etc.

All of the chips supplied with the apu I bought are the 27sf512. I have already successfully burned one and ran it (at idle) just to see if it was working. I am figuring out the technical side of this process fairly quickly, figuring out the in-depth part of the programming will certainly take me longer.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofsparepart
Ok, got the truck running, was successful in load and running my first program attempt, only played with a few things such as the idle and VATS disable, manual transmission. Got my foot in the door.

The APU1 that I bought off of ebay also came with the adaptor, a whole crap load of chips, and a memcal header so I was able to download the "stock" bin that was for the 89 5.7 IROC AT (not sure which bin it is though).

So now I have my stock bin to start playing with. My question is how to change some of the "on-off" selections that I can not find in the 6e XDF.

I would like to disable the AIR system, since it was removed long ago, set my cooling fan on-off temps since I am running a 180 thermostat, I am running 24 pound MSD injectors so need to program for that, you get the picture.

All of the aforementioned changes were made on the chip/adapter that I got from TPIParts.net, but the values in the tables don't make sense running the 6e XDF. The prom ID, mask id, and checksum values are all FF
Not sure I understand, but according to this post you used the TPIParts chip data:

and a memcal header so I was able to download the "stock" bin that was for the 89 5.7 IROC AT (not sure which bin it is though).

Now, if it was a stock chip, then there should be a silver label on it with the BCC. That will tell you what the application is. You mentioned that you already made changes, but at the same time claim that important parameters are all FF's.

As for disabling AIR, set the CTS threshold high. See the attached pictures.

RBob.
Attached Thumbnails How to change some of the Values-air.jpg   How to change some of the Values-fan.jpg  

Last edited by RBob; 10-14-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM

I have already downloaded the stock bin from my stock memcal to my laptop and have looked through it with the 6e.
Is this the BIN that is showing FF's?

What is the 3 or 4 letter code on the Silver label on that PROM?

RBob.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 AM

I appologize for the confusion, I was asking 2 different questions about 2 different proms at the same time.

I started by downloading the stock bin from my stock memcal using a moates header adapter that came with the APU1.

I also downloaded the bin file that was on the prom supplied by TPIParts so I could do a comparison between the 2 bins.

The 6e definition file is able to read the bin from tpiparts, but all of the tables are out of whack. Regardless I am not going to screw with that bin, but am hanging on to it as a backup since I do know how my truck runs with it.

Back to my stock bin from my stock memcal, Prom ID 0D99, Mask ID is 6E, checksum is 40ED.

The bin on the chip provided by TPIParts, Prom ID FFFF, Mask ID is FF, checksum is FF.

The stock prom is Delco APYN 3496

Last edited by lotsofsparepart; 10-14-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Had to run out to the truck and pull the memcal
Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 AM

I also located the scalars for changing cooling fan temps and injector size. Slowly figuring out the basics.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Back to my stock bin from my stock memcal, Prom ID 0D99, Mask ID is 6E, checksum is 40ED.

The bin on the chip provided by TPIParts, Prom ID FFFF, Mask ID is FF, checksum is FF.

The stock prom is Delco APYN 3496
OK, APYN is an '89 5.7l, f-body, auto, with fed emissions. So a decent starting point.

The BIN you pulled from the TPIParts chip is most likely the lower half or quarter of a larger then required PROM. See if there is a number on it such as 27C256, or 27SF512.

It is common to use the larger PROM as the 'normal' sized ones (27C128), were either no longer made or actually cost more. In the case of using a larger PROM, need to use the buffer values to read the proper area of the PROM.

Same as you are doing when you burn a PROM.

RBob.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Tpiparts prom is a AT27C256R.

When you say a decent starting point, is that good, or is there a better .bin to start with?

I set the CTS for the AIR to 200, pretty sure it won't be trying to cycle unless I light my truck on fire. Also the pictures you provided to show me where to look for the AIR tells me that you are using a different XDF than I am, is there a more current version?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

The 6e definition file is able to read the bin from tpiparts, but all of the tables are out of whack.
I do not believe this to be true, even if you pull from the correct address.

Unless the bin was built to use 6e as you have it, it will not be right, I doubt that they used a stock XDF.

Last edited by xch3no2; 10-14-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: stinking comma
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by xch3no2
I do not believe this to be true, even if you pull from the correct address.

Unless the bin was built to use 6e as you have it it will not be right, I doubt that they used a stock XDF.
I am not right on track with the lingo yet so please bear with me.

What I was saying was that values and tables were readable, but not sensible. Good example, all of the Idle RPM vs Coolant temp values are 3187.50 rpm.

Values are present, just out of whack. Obviously I would need the proper XDF to read this prom. Regardless, it is going in a anti-static bag and getting stored. I really don't need any of the info from it anymore, just wanted to do a side by side comparison.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Tpiparts prom is a AT27C256R.

When you say a decent starting point, is that good, or is there a better .bin to start with?

I set the CTS for the AIR to 200, pretty sure it won't be trying to cycle unless I light my truck on fire. Also the pictures you provided to show me where to look for the AIR tells me that you are using a different XDF than I am, is there a more current version?
I am using 6Eextended.xdf

Note that many CTS values are in degrees C. Looking at the above XDF, the fans are in degrees F, while the AIR threshold is in degrees C. Just something to be aware of.

Tpiparts prom is a AT27C256R: there is a reason I keep harping on getting this chip read correctly. If you don't understand that only the top half of this chip has the calibration, you may not be burning the 27SF512 chips correctly either.

Whenever you insert a newly burned PROM do this: while observing the SES/CEL light, key-on, engine-off. The SES/CEL needs to turn on briefly, blink off, then turn on solid.

Can repeat the test after a minimum of 10 seconds of key-off.

If the SES/CEL doesn't blink off the ECM is in limp mode and is not running from the PROM.

RBob.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 PM

I did notice how some of the values were farenheight and some were celcius.

Actually, haven't tried installing the chip I burned yet. I have been using the emulation program in TPrt with my APU1. I will watch for the light when I do get that far. I will probably just continue emulating until I get where I want with my tune.

When I do get around to burning the chip I will use, what has to be done to make certain it burns properly? I selected the type of chip, burned the bin from file, loaded the file to the buffer, then burned the buffer to the chip and verified success. Haven't tried it though......

Where would be a good place to start in the tables when it comes to smoothing out a poor idle.

Last edited by lotsofsparepart; 10-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Tpiparts prom is a AT27C256R: there is a reason I keep harping on getting this chip read correctly. If you don't understand that only the top half of this chip has the calibration, you may not be burning the 27SF512 chips correctly either.

RBob.
Figured it out, 16k file on 512k chip, buffer start-end 000000-003FFF chip start-end 00C000-00FFFF I'm getting it...... slowly but surely.....
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Burned and installed my first prom. Stock APYN .bin with a few things changed for my particular setup, fans on @ 200, off @186 (180 degree thermostat), Manual Transmission, 24lb injectors, AIR Disable, VATS Disable, and increased the Idle RPM to 650 RPM from 154f to 241f.

Truck pretty much runs the same, same crappy lumpy idle. Am hoping to get the data logging up and running tomorrow so I can see the MAF voltage and rule out a vacuum leak (already replaced all of the intake gaskets).

After install, turned ignition on, SES light came on, went right off, and came right back back on...... Successful burn......

I think I did it right RBob