Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"
green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??

in my convenience center where the signal flashers and horn relay and such ar theres a green colored relay and its labeled CH RLY

what the heck is this

it has brown wires and a blue wire

at least one of the brown wires is some wierd solid aluminum instead of stranded copper, the one that goes through the firewall into the engine compartment in the large bulkhead connector, the rest of the wires stay inside the car

wierd ??

also how does the convenience center mount under the dash, does it mount vertically, or horizontally, or ?

i need to remount it, i have tried all different ways and dont even see any screw or tab holes it could use ?

help ?

thanks

Last edited by Randy82WS7; 03-11-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Car: 84 z28
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: th-350
Axle/Gears: 3:42
I'm thinking Choke Relay..
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28, 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0L TBI., 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto TH200C, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, ones that rotate!
Originally Posted by Randy82WS7
in my convenience center where the signal flashers and horn relay and such ar theres a green colored relay and its labeled CH RLY
That is the choke heater realy. Used on Carbed engines only. Aluminum wire must have been a mod by a previous owner.

also how does the convenience center mount under the dash, does it mount vertically, or horizontally, or ?

i need to remount it, i have tried all different ways and dont even see any screw or tab holes it could use ?
It mounts horizontally. Let me see if I can find a decent diagram or picture tommrow.

Dave
Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

hi there ok good info thanks guys

why would the choke need a relay ?

thats wild

i loooked in wiring diagrams and it shows resistance wire as one of the brown wires for this, it must be this solid aluminum looking one
dunno

hum

why do these cars use a choke relay when some others dont

odd.

thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM

hi there ok good info thanks guys

why would the choke need a relay ?
Randy

It is a choke HEATER relay. Added heat to the choke and carb under certian conditions. I can post a wiring diagram if that would help....

Take a look at the BAD REALY? tread, down a few. The diagram there has a view of how the convience center is mounted. You are looking from the fire wall back to the driver's seat.

Dave

Last edited by 82CrossFire Z28; 03-11-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 03-12-2007, 12:09 AM

Convinence Center Installation

Randy

Straight from the 82 factory assembly manual. All that is missing are the screw sizes, but the part number for them is included.

Note that Item 5 ( 5 in a square box) is the cover for the ALDL connector.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??-convinence_center_001m.jpg  
Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

wow i am missing a bracket for the convenience center haha

damn

i wonder where that d/appeared to hum

ok well thats figured out

now i have a big fat chiltons and it has wiring diagrams, it doesnt show the brackets and mounting details liek the above diagram does

however it has a page that shows the different convenience centers of the different years/designs,

and it says the relay i am asking about is actualyl called the charging system relay

however in the wiring diagram it is labeled the choke heater relay
the brown wire that goes from the relay through the firewall is probably the one going to the alternator

one of the brown wires does show in the diagram to be a resistance one, so that would explain why its not copper stranded

i dont think the light blue wire at the relay goes into the engine compartment like the brown one does, in my car,

the choke wire is light blue though, as it usually was in GM vehicles

so hmm

im gonna have to look in my car some more

hmm

thanks for the above diagram, now i know i have a bracket to locate around here, where ever i stashed it, hum

thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 12:29 AM

Randy

In my 82 Service manual, all the diagrams for the convinence center identify the realy as the choke realy or choke heater realy. In the charging system wiring diagram it is identified as the charging system realy. In the Choke Heater wiring diagram it is identifed as the choke realy. So this particular realy has different names, depending on which diagram one is looking at. The wiring connections are the same in both wiring diagrams.

The Brown wire starts at the C-H Fuse to terminal A of the realy coil; from terminal B of the realy coil to the Charging light on the dash, and through the fire wall at connector C100, terminal F8 to the generator, terminal 1.

The Blue wire goes from termianl C of the realy to the Choke Warining Indicator light on the dash; and then through the fire wall at connector C100, terminal E5 to the choke heater, mounted on the carb.

The Brown/White Resistance wire is only used on V8 Electronic Fuel Injection engines in 1982. It replaces the Brown wire for the charging System (Choke Heater) relay coil. It runs from I3 on the Ignition switch to connector C100, terminal F8 where it is paralled with the Brown wire from the Charging Indicator light on the dash. It goes through the fire wall as a Brown wire to the generator, terminal 1.

Dave
Old 03-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

hum, yeah mine snot striped it is jut solid brown

in the diagrams it shows one of the brown wires to be resistance

and in the crossfire diagram the striped brown one is resistance

but the crossfire cars dont show a relay and have no choke

and so the two cars are wired totally differently for the brown alt wire

i wish i knew how this works

i can jut run a choke ignitoion wire off the fuse panel, but how to wire up the brown alt wire ?

how does this work ?

how is the guage wired into the brown wire circuit, i know it goes through the ign switch

will the alt work fine if the brown wire and guage are not connected

the choke warnign light is tied to the ECM harness plug

i have no ECM anymore

what do i do

i nmeed to eliminate some or all of this mess

i dont need the relay or the light to be functional

i just need the guage

im gonna have to look at GM diagrams for other vehicles(70s and older) to see how to wire up the guage so its normal and not all crazy like it is in these cars and copy that

also i cant locate my convenience center mounting bracket does anyone have one from a car they are parting or something ?

i need one so that i can mount mine so it is not hanging out of the dash anymore

thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 04:41 PM

hum, yeah mine snot striped it is jut solid brown

in the diagrams it shows one of the brown wires to be resistance

and in the crossfire diagram the striped brown one is resistance

but the crossfire cars dont show a relay and have no choke

and so the two cars are wired totally differently for the brown alt wire

i wish i knew how this works

i can jut run a choke ignitoion wire off the fuse panel, but how to wire up the brown alt wire ?

how does this work ?

how is the guage wired into the brown wire circuit, i know it goes through the ign switch

will the alt work fine if the brown wire and guage are not connected

the choke warnign light is tied to the ECM harness plug

i have no ECM anymore

what do i do

i nmeed to eliminate some or all of this mess

i dont need the relay or the light to be functional

i just need the guage

im gonna have to look at GM diagrams for other vehicles(70s and older) to see how to wire up the guage so its normal and not all crazy like it is in these cars and copy that

also i cant locate my convenience center mounting bracket does anyone have one from a car they are parting or something ?

i need one so that i can mount mine so it is not hanging out of the dash anymore

thanks
In my diagrams the resistance wire is only shown for Electronic Fuel Injection engines, i.e. the 82 CrossFire (LU5) and the LG4 engines. The carbed engines do not have the resistance wire. Not sure what type of engine you are using.

Also what guage are you talking about None of the guages are directly connected to the charging system. All the guages get their power from the Guage Fuse, via a pink/black wire to the insturment panel. They also share a common ground wire from the insturment panel. The Guage Fuse is powered through the Ingnition Switch.

I will psot my diagrams once I get them scanned in.

Dave
Old 03-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

the voltmeter guage is what im taking about

uhmm the LG4 were not FI, it is the base 4bbl 305

i have an LG4 car and thats what im putting in it,
same as it was originally

the diagrams show the brown resistance wire for both FI and LG4 engines, but are wired way differently frome each other,

im trying to figure out how to wire the alt to the guage and eliminate the choke and other brown wires, including the one to the ECM in which is also in thi circuit and is pink/black,

i dont think we are on the same page here lol

hmm

im having a really hard time following in the diagram how the voltmeter circuit is connected and works off the alt(brown wire) thats really all i want to find/need out at this point

i thini i am confusing a warning light circuit with a voltmeter circuit

maybe the voltmeter get a single switched(ignition)12v wire and a single ground wire and thats it

is it that simple ?

or /

thanks

thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 11:43 PM

Randy

Ok, yes I confused myself. In 1982 they had an L4 option engine which was a 2.5L EFI engine. I confused the LG4 and the L4.

If your car had a voltmeter in it originally, then the wiring for it should already exist. Anyway, I am going to post several diagrams, but it will take a few messages to get them all in. The first three are the overall power distribution, whicih consists of two sheets. Note that the two vertical RED wires going off the bottom left of the first diagram connect to the two RED wires at the top left of the second diagram. The third diagram is the charging system. Note that in these diagrams, the brwon/white resistance wire in not included in the carbed engines. So this may be a discrepency between the diagrams we are using, and I don't know whcih on is correct.

Yes, it sounds as if you have the voltmeter and the charging indicating lamp mixed up

More to come

Dave
Attached Thumbnails green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??-power_distribution_001m.jpg   green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??-power_distribution_002m.jpg   green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??-charging_001m.jpg  
Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM

OK

The first diagram here is the choke heater circuit. Note that the Light Blue wire in this diagram is the same as the Light Blue wire in the Charging System diagram.

The second diagram is the power to the insturment gages. Note that the Pink/Black circuit from the GAGE fuse is a switched circuit. This diagram only shows power to the gages. Level, pressure, and temperature inputs are shown on other wiring diagramsSee the second power distribution diagram in the previous post.

Hope thses help you get the wiring organized in your car.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??-choke_heater_001m.jpg   green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??-gages_001m.jpg  
Old 03-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
The carbureted cars don't have a resistance wire, because the choke heater relay provides the resistance. The current through the resistance wire powers the field windings in the alternator. Without it, the alternator won't produce power.

I like this diagram from the service manual to show the working of the choke heater relay, because it shows why the choke wiring is important to the functioning of the charging system.

The accompanying text reads (ignore the comments about the volts indicator light if you have gauges):

With the IGNITION SWITCH in "Run," "Bulb Test," or "Start," battery voltage is applied through the GAGES FUSE to the "VOLTS" INDICATOR. With the IGNITION SWITCH in "Run," battery voltage is applied through the C-H FUSE to the CHOKE HEATER RELAY coil. When the GENERATOR is not running, current flows through the GAGES FUSE, the "VOLTS" INDICATOR and GENERATOR field (to ground). Current also flows through the C-H fuse, the CHOKE HEATER RELAY coil and GENERATOR field (to ground). These two current paths provide initial GENERATOR field current.

With the engine (GENERATOR) running, voltage is supplied directly from terminal 1 of the GENERATOR to the "VOLTS" INDICATOR. Equal voltage is applied to opposite sides of the "VOLTS" INDICATOR. The "VOLTS" INDICATOR goes out.
For completeness, the description of the choke heater circuit:

The operation of the CHOKE WARNING INDICATOR can only be observed in "Run" or "Bulb Test" in initial start.

With the IGNITION SWITCH in "Run," (engine not running) current flows through the C-H fuse and the relay coil of the CHOKE HEATER RELAY, opening the relay contacts. Current also flows through the GAGES FUSE, "CHOKE" WARNING INDICATOR, and CHOKE HEATER to ground. The "CHOKE" WARNING INDICATOR goes on. With the engine running, voltage is applied from the GENERATOR and the C-H FUSE to both sides of the relay coil. The relay stops operating, and the relay contacts return to their normally closed position. Current flows through the relay contacts and through the CHOKE HEATER to ground. The CHOKE HEATER operates. Voltage is also applied from the GENERATOR and the GAGES FUSE to both sides of the "CHOKE" WARNING INDICATOR. The "CHOKE WARNING INDICATOR" goes out.

The C-H FUSE is hot in "Run" only. With the IGNITION SWITCH in "Bulb Test," current to the "CHOKE" WARNING INDICATOR is available only through the GAGES FUSE. The "CHOKE" WARNING INDICATOR goes on.
Attached Thumbnails green colored CH RLY ? and remounting the convenience center ??-charging.jpg  

Last edited by Apeiron; 03-18-2007 at 01:15 AM.