Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Sequential Turn Signals - batch 7

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc
Re: Sequential Turn Signals - batch 7

Originally Posted by 91phoenix
BidBadLou, did you evr find a small duall filament bulb? I am going to have to look for something small after I buy more of these STS units. I will be having to replace a 194 bulb with something dual filament on a different vehicle if I can figure out a way to rewire the lights on it. I realize I will be swapping sockets also.
No, I have not. I haven't been actively looking lately, though. I should start again, now that the car may be getting back on the road this summer.
Not much room in those corner lenses for a standard dual-filament bulb. I will check the bulb aisle next time I'm at AutoZone.

Lou
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: GM crate motor Goodwrench 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

just recolored and smoked tail lights in prep for this, if im not already, please put me down for one!!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dabesiv
just recolored and smoked tail lights in prep for this, if im not already, please put me down for one!!
That sounds great! Do you have a picture by any chance? I'd love to see them. You can see my non-smoked red tail lights on the previous page.

I got you on my list already, no worries, you will get a unit.

Lou
Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
That sounds great! Do you have a picture by any chance? I'd love to see them. You can see my non-smoked red tail lights on the previous page.

I got you on my list already, no worries, you will get a unit.

Lou
sweet! thanks, cant wait to put these in and yeah this pic is all i have for now, not the best quality but what do you expect from a cell phone haha
Attached Thumbnails Sequential Turn Signals - batch 7-imag0679.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Nice picture, looks great. I hope you don't get busted for "tail lights not reflective red". These will be great with sequencing bulbs. Can't wait to see the video when you're done installing your STS unit. Oh right, I need to make some first.

Lou
Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Nice picture, looks great. I hope you don't get busted for "tail lights not reflective red". These will be great with sequencing bulbs. Can't wait to see the video when you're done installing your STS unit. Oh right, I need to make some first.

Lou
yeah between the HID headlights, red mood lights and these tail lights the car looks good but isnt exactly up to DOT regulations haha. my neighbor is a cop though and hasn't said anything is worthy of a ticket... yet. Any idea of when you should have these done? And just to clarify, when i first saw these i thought it was an LED panel inserted into the tail light housing that will do the sequence . but now reading on them more its just the wiring set up to sequence the lights and it can work with either incandescent or LED bulbs as long as the right flasher is used?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Any idea of when you should have these done? And just to clarify, when i first saw these i thought it was an LED panel inserted into the tail light housing that will do the sequence . but now reading on them more its just the wiring set up to sequence the lights and it can work with either incandescent or LED bulbs as long as the right flasher is used?
Schedule: I am planning to finally start on the rough boards this weekend. I have enough funds for those. Once the boards are done, I can collect some pre-orders from you guys (some of you offered to prepay and I will gladly take you up on that) and order parts. Then within a week, I should be shipping first pre-paid units.

Use of the STS unit: yes, you are right, the unit will flash any bulbs or LEDs in sequence. Up to 3 bulbs per side. The turn signal flasher under the dash dictates the flashing speed of the turn signal and if you switch to LEDs, you will need a no-load flasher.

Lou
Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Schedule: I am planning to finally start on the rough boards this weekend. I have enough funds for those. Once the boards are done, I can collect some pre-orders from you guys (some of you offered to prepay and I will gladly take you up on that) and order parts. Then within a week, I should be shipping first pre-paid units.

Use of the STS unit: yes, you are right, the unit will flash any bulbs or LEDs in sequence. Up to 3 bulbs per side. The turn signal flasher under the dash dictates the flashing speed of the turn signal and if you switch to LEDs, you will need a no-load flasher.

Lou
alright sounds good, id be happy to pre-order if it means speeding up the process a bit
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

The turn signal flasher under the dash dictates the flashing speed of the turn signal
Is the speed of the sequencing the same as the youtube videos on your other page? I thought I'd read somewhere that you or sombody else added a bit more delay after the last bulb lights up. In the video, that last bulb barely lights up before they all go out. Just curious if it has been addressed or if it remained that way.

If you need pre-payments to help get the ball rolling, PM me your address and I'll try to get my payment out later this week.

-Eldon
Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

Thanks for the offer Lou, but I honestly couldn't afford it if it was free lol...money is extremely tight for me right now, but I will definitely contact you if in the future I can make a purchase.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Car: 91 Z28 / 04 GTO
Engine: GMPP 350 TPI / LS1
Transmission: WC T5 / T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.46

I haven't even installed mine yet and I got the box last year lol.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91
Is the speed of the sequencing the same as the youtube videos on your other page? I thought I'd read somewhere that you or sombody else added a bit more delay after the last bulb lights up. In the video, that last bulb barely lights up before they all go out. Just curious if it has been addressed or if it remained that way.

If you need pre-payments to help get the ball rolling, PM me your address and I'll try to get my payment out later this week.

-Eldon
Hi Eldon,

the speed of the 3 bulbs coming on has always been the same, what is adjustable, though, is how long the flasher keeps the 3 bulbs on and how long they are off. If the flasher cycles too fast, the 3rd bulb does not have time to fully light up and that, of course, is sad. A different flasher might be necessary.

When I designed the sequencing timing, I had to consider the speed of the flasher (most of them that I have here on the shelf produce an ON pulse of at least 1/2 second) and the visible recognition of the 3 bulbs lighting up separately. I came up with 100ms being the best of both worlds. If the sequencing step was shorter (75ms or so), the effect of the bulbs sequencing would be lessened. If it was longer, it would not work for many cars as the 3rd bulb would not light up.

For this batch, I can drop it to 90ms and see if that will give enough extra time for the 3rd bulb to work for everybody.

Otherwise, the problem of the 3rd bulb not lighting up fully can be solved by replacing the $2 flasher under the dash. One of our local club members here can actually adjust the existing flasher with needle-nose pliers to everybody's liking. It's all in "how you bend the tab", he says. So it can be done.

Lou
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by theNMBR27
I haven't even installed mine yet and I got the box last year lol.
You better get on it and install yours then. I yet have to see sequencing Camaro tail lights.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 PM

im no electrician nor do i have experience with this stuff, but if i comprehend what you wrote and i did my math right there should be more time for the flashers to work. i was just looking on superbrightleds and all it says is the no load flashers go 80 flashes a minute so a flash every 3/4 seconds or 750 ms so could a flash sequence lasting 700 ms be too long? that it gives the first light 700 ms of light, the second around 468 ms of light and around 234 ms for the last light still leaving 50 ms of delay before the sequence restarts. granted 50 ms is not much time at all but its not like the delay needs to be long.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

im no electrician nor do i have experience with this stuff, but if i comprehend what you wrote and i did my math right there should be more time for the flashers to work. i was just looking on superbrightleds and all it says is the no load flashers go 80 flashes a minute so a flash every 3/4 seconds or 750 ms so could a flash sequence lasting 700 ms be too long? that it gives the first light 700 ms of light, the second around 468 ms of light and around 234 ms for the last light still leaving 50 ms of delay before the sequence restarts. granted 50 ms is not much time at all but its not like the delay needs to be long.
IMO, 50 ms of "dark time" might work for LEDs but would not be enough for regular bulbs to extinguish fully. Most flashers have at least 50% duty cycle but I wouldn't recommend anything beyond 75% for incandescent bulbs.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM

IMO, 50 ms of "dark time" might work for LEDs but would not be enough for regular bulbs to extinguish fully. Most flashers have at least 50% duty cycle but I wouldn't recommend anything beyond 75% for incandescent bulbs.
alright, so would that be an adjustment on the flasher itself or the wiring system? and would that be an adjustment anybody could do?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

The only adjustment that can be performed on the speed of turn signals is the flasher itself under the dash.
The STS unit does not have adjustable speed for the sequenced lighting up of the individual bulbs. Even though not impossible, an adjustable STS unit would be impractical because that would add not only extra cost but especially high factor of unreliability due to new moving parts. A potentiometer can oxidize very fast and there goes the flashing sequence.

I have probably around 200 units out there in the world and have not heard of a timing problem that was not solved by swapping out the flasher for a slower one (or an adjustable one, in the worst case).

Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 PM

alright thats perfect then, ill do some looking around for maybe an adjustable flasher see what works best. thanks Lou
Old 06-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Supreme Member

An update: I started making boards. I will be ordering parts this week and should have finished product by the end of the month.

As for adjustable flashers, I am working on something that might help.

Lou
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM

Car: 91 Z28 / 04 GTO
Engine: GMPP 350 TPI / LS1
Transmission: WC T5 / T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.46

Lou potentiometer ?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by theNMBR27
Lou potentiometer ?
potentiometer would be nice. ive only seen them in greed diode lasers and are easily adjusted with a screw. if it were that simple that would be amazing
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Not as simple as a potentiometer but a self-contained flasher with the ON and OFF times adjustable separately. Will work with bulbs, LEDs, whichever. I've seen how expensive they can get so I'm working on a cheaper solution. Need to build a prototype first to test it out, though. Will let you know about my progress.

Lou
Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: Sbc 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Detroit locker

Awesome work in progress. Let me know when I need to send money and where to send it too. Thanks in advance Lou!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the offers to prepay but we took on an intern from work at our house so his rent will be the source of funding for the STS parts.

However, if you guys would like to start ordering, I will gladly open the lines and you can mail money orders and checks for now. PM me for address to mail them to. Eventually, I will set up PayPal again when I have plenty of units to ship. So for now, the preferred method is a money order or check.

Lou
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro
Engine: Sbc 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Detroit locker

I wouldn't lose my spot in the lists if I waited until the paypal account was open. If so, then I have no issue sending a money order. Just that paypal is easier. LOL
Thanks again
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89newfun
I wouldn't lose my spot in the lists if I waited until the paypal account was open. If so, then I have no issue sending a money order. Just that paypal is easier. LOL
Thanks again
No worries, nobody will be losing any spots on the list. I got the whole list, I do not intend to misplace it.

I agree that PayPal is easier but from the previous batches of making STS units, it turned out to be a huge nightmare.
So if it does not make much difference to you guys, feel free to mail money orders or checks for now. PayPal WILL be an option, just not right now because I have to set up their PayPal button again to provide the right payment information etc.

Price, as mentioned earlier, has not changed. Still $56 shipped anywhere in the US (yes, ALL 50 states, I do not discriminate). International shipping is available but will cost more (contact me for a quote).

I ordered the parts today so I should be making first units this weekend (if the package arrives on time).

Lou
Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 AM

you have no idea how excited i am for these! they will be the finishing touch to a 3 month long lighting project I've been slaving away with and am waiting for these to make a before and after video. if we send the money now would we be ahead of those who haven't paid? and whats the eta for these to be shipped?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

you have no idea how excited i am for these! they will be the finishing touch to a 3 month long lighting project I've been slaving away with and am waiting for these to make a before and after video. if we send the money now would we be ahead of those who haven't paid? and whats the eta for these to be shipped?
A 3-month lighting project? Now you got me curious and I have to know. Do you have any pictures?

If you prepay now, you will be the second person to get the STS unit. So yes, units are shipped in the same order the payments are received. I will reply to your PM with instructions.

ETA on the units to your door is no later than the end of month (worst case scenario) but I expect you might have yours in about a week (if parts get here on time).

Lou
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

Can you PM me your info for where you want the payment sent?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91
Can you PM me your info for where you want the payment sent?
PM sent.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM

A 3-month lighting project? Now you got me curious and I have to know. Do you have any pictures?

If you prepay now, you will be the second person to get the STS unit. So yes, units are shipped in the same order the payments are received. I will reply to your PM with instructions.

ETA on the units to your door is no later than the end of month (worst case scenario) but I expect you might have yours in about a week (if parts get here on time).

Lou
It started with swapping interior bulbs to LED, i just had to have more so i did back seat floor lighting, and rear hatch lighting, then i saw the HID projectors and after saving up i got those and put them together like 3 days ago, im adding more to it eventually once i get a nice paycheck again haha. ill be posting pics and a video of before and after once i get the sequentials in and ill send you a link

once i find and dust off the checkbook ill be sending you some money, i hope to get these soon
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 305 Quadrajet
Transmission: 200 Hydromatic
Axle/Gears: Open 2.73 10 bolt w/ drums

Thanks for the offers to prepay but we took on an intern from work at our house so his rent will be the source of funding for the STS parts.

However, if you guys would like to start ordering, I will gladly open the lines and you can mail money orders and checks for now. PM me for address to mail them to. Eventually, I will set up PayPal again when I have plenty of units to ship. So for now, the preferred method is a money order or check.

Lou
Can you PM me with instructions on ordering and payment? I've been looking for Sequentials forever!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM

sorry for the delay on payment Lou, Im about 8 miles from a big fire here in Colorado, waiting to hear about a possible evac. and my work is on the other side of this fire so i am waiting until i can get my paycheck and some reassurance that i will be home for a bit before i order
Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

sorry for the delay on payment Lou, Im about 8 miles from a big fire here in Colorado, waiting to hear about a possible evac. and my work is on the other side of this fire so i am waiting until i can get my paycheck and some reassurance that i will be home for a bit before i order
No worries. I am holding a unit for you, it will be here when you're ready.
I hope you can escape the fires. My sister-in-law's house was barely missed by the fire, she got lucky.

Good luck to you and your family!
Lou
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM

No worries. I am holding a unit for you, it will be here when you're ready.
I hope you can escape the fires. My sister-in-law's house was barely missed by the fire, she got lucky.

Good luck to you and your family!
Lou
alright thanks a lot. Im hoping we can get out of this with no problems. its getting close
Old 06-30-2012, 01:57 AM

Put me down for a unit if you can! Been wanting to do this for a couple years now.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

Got you down. Sent you a PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Car: 87 IROC Z-28
Engine: 5.0L 305 TPI V8

Put me down for 1
Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

I put you on my list.
I do not have a PayPal button set up yet but if you'd like to send in a Money Order (or check, but it takes long to clear), PM me for mailing address.
I got plenty of units sitting here on my desk, ready to ship.

Lou
Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 355
Axle/Gears: Australian 9 bolt 3.27 posi

BigBadLou,
Could you please put me on your list too? Would be a great upgrade for my 84 Camaro Berlinetta. Many thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Ditto, I put you on my list.
I do not have a PayPal button set up yet but if you'd like to send in a Money Order (or check, but it takes long to clear), PM me for mailing address.

Lou
Old 07-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Ditto, I put you on my list.

Lou
Alright Lou I should be having a money order sent out to you this afternoon.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds good, I got you on my list from a long time ago.
How did the wildfires go? Did they put them out yet? You guys safe?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

Just received it in the mail today and I gotta say Lou you're awesome lol this thing is compact and I like the impromptu potting on the board lol looks great I can't wait to get this thing wired up
Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Glad you got it today (I promised you "by the end of the week" ).
And glad you like it.
Not sure what you mean exactly by "impromptu potting" but I take it as a compliment.

Now wire her up and show me how she works!
Lou
Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

I think its hot glue? Lol I want to wire it up with the turn signal then the brake one and the side one, I know this venture was originally for firebirds and side one on the camaro is a 194 socket, idk if its dual filament or not it should be able to wire straight in right?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

You are absolutely right, it is hot glue.
I did that on purpose, it is not just an accident or something.
I used to put the STS units in bulky boxes and it just turned out to be more hassle than benefit.
The hot glue seals and insulates the circuit board but the added benefit is in its transparency where you can see the board electronics. Please don't hate me but I like my work.
Attached Thumbnails Sequential Turn Signals - batch 7-sts_new_sm.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BluFBdy
I want to wire it up with the turn signal then the brake one and the side one, I know this venture was originally for firebirds and side one on the camaro is a 194 socket, idk if its dual filament or not it should be able to wire straight in right?
The sequencer is not only for Firebirds, it will work on any negative-ground 12V vehicle with multiple bulbs in a turn signal (front or rear). My units run on all different makes and models of vehicles, worldwide, I am proud to say. An old Chevelle? Not a problem. A newer Mustang? Sure. Old-style Cadillac? You betcha.

For the 3rd bulb, the 194 might be too weak. I have been looking into bigger bulbs for the corner and it might be possible to stick something bigger in there. If not the exact 21W bulb from the turn signals, then at least two 9W bulbs (I think the 194 is 5W). Whatever you can find a socket for in the electrical section at AutoZone.
I myself am searching for the right bulb. Maybe one day.

When you install a corner bulb, let me know, I'd love to see it finished.
I am trying to collect some guts to cut up my tail lights.

Lou
Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

I like the hot glue idea its actually pretty smart, e-tape could break down but unless somone deliberately cuts up the glue the board is safe lol i sent you a pm prematurely asking the same question, my tail lights are identical to yours i believe you were my inspiration for it actually lol if i could get the 194 to light up while still being a functional running light i would be happy with it lol i thought of swapping out the socket also but idk if i wannt cut up the frame to do that lol would it be possible to put a resistor in line and trick the circuit to accept the 5v bulb?

i think ill attempt to wire it up as it is, should i cut the + to the 194 and just run it to the unit or should i simply tap into the + on the 194 and run it to the unit with a diode?

BTW these instructions are deceiving, I'm on the under dash mod and idk if I have it right, am I supposed to be splicing the blue and white together just bridging the circuits or am I supposed to be connecting the brake wire leading to the lights (not the switch side) to the white wire?

Last edited by BluFBdy; 07-07-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Sounds good, I got you on my list from a long time ago.
How did the wildfires go? Did they put them out yet? You guys safe?
the one near me is pretty much done, im safe, can't say as much for some people. thanks for the concern

Quick Reply: Sequential Turn Signals - batch 7