Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Installed Top Down Hatch motor kit, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1
Installed Top Down Hatch motor kit, quick question

My pull down worked great until the gear stripped a couple teeth. The original lubricant was very dry and tough. I believe now that if I had fully disassembled and re-lubed this mechanism when I bought the car 18 months ago the original parts would still be working fine. Even the original guides were in nice shape.

I have installed the new motor assembly/gear/guide kit from Top Down. Nice kit, decent instructions. All went fairly smoothly.

Prior to installing the kit when things were working: If I hit the hatch release switch on the console the hatch would release almost immediately fully open by itself (the gas struts are in good condition). Since installing the kit, the hatch release lets go of the hatch no problem, it immediately pops up, but it just pops open a couple of inches and stays there. I need to lift on the hatch slightly for it to then open on its own. While I rather like the new way, I am wondering if this is ok or is something improperly adjusted? I did mark the hatch motor assy to the body and got it quite close to original install. It's a lower mile car and I strongly suspect I replaced OEM parts. Everything else looked good.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Installed Top Down Hatch motor kit, quick question

Let that ride of your sit in the sun for a little while - then hit the hatch release button and the deck-lid will probably fly open just like it used to !

The effect your describing really has little to do with the hatch motor and more to do with the hatch struts. They slowly loose some strength over time little by little and it might just be coincidence that they are no longer at full strength as you were replacing the old PPD motor. Temperature also really affects how well hatch struts work; older struts work much better in the summer heat then they do in cold weather !

My 84 Hatch Release ( Pre-PPD hatchback ) used to act exactly as you describe,... till about 2 years ago when the hatch would no longer "open itself" every-time I hit the button (unless the car was parked in the sun on a hot day. ) You might have had the old motor installed just a *tad-bit* lower than you did before. In the past ( if the hatch was a tiny bit lower) the hatch might have "jumped" up a bit higher when the release was activated then it does now. I would NOT try and adjust the motor to make the hatch open by itself. (My ) If that effect is important to you I'd start shopping for new hatch struts.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1
Re: Installed Top Down Hatch motor kit, quick question

Thanks John. You may be right. The struts last fall would jump the hatch hard enough it would notably clunk at the top - enough I liked to grab it in time to prevent it. Perhaps thee struts lost luster over the winter or like you say it’s a tad low on install. I prefer it the way it is now. So unless someone says, “ no it shouldn’t work like that “ I will leave it be. I have no experience with 3rd gens really so I wanted to check in.