Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Steering wheel wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 z28 T Tops
Steering wheel wiring help

Hi everyone ,

I purchased a 87 shell that I知 restoring and I知 trying to re wire the steering wheel. I just put the plugs like a puzzle not knowing how but I知 sure they are correct . I just don稚 know where this tube that comes from the firewall hooks up too as well as where this red ignition and these 2 plastic switches. I知 not sure what those switches are or where they connect. And I just want to make sure that this red wire just hooks up to the fuse box .

thank you for the help and getting me one step closer towards working on this car!

What are these and where do they go?

Tube that I知 talking about

I知 guessing this just hooks up to the fuse box under ignition?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:32 AM

Received 483 Likes on 233 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird GTA
Engine: Motown Aluminum 427
Transmission: TH400/GVO
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 IRS 3.75:1
Re: Steering wheel wiring help

Don't guess at where wires go. Trace it back and get a repair manual with electrical schematics. Thiose red ones - when hooked up in the wrong place will cause little fires and smoke, then you'll never get it to werk right.

both of these go into a bracket that your brake pedal sits in, one is your brake light switch, and the other shuts off yer cruise when you hit the brakes.

look for the bracket with these two holes, the plungers face the brake pedal (front of the car)
Old 08-12-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 427seven
Don't guess at where wires go. Trace it back and get a repair manual with electrical schematics. Thiose red ones - when hooked up in the wrong place will cause little fires and smoke, then you'll never get it to werk right.

both of these go into a bracket that your brake pedal sits in, one is your brake light switch, and the other shuts off yer cruise when you hit the brakes.

look for the bracket with these two holes, the plungers face the brake pedal (front of the car)
thanks you for the help! I値l look for the bracket and insert the buttons facing to the front.

I say I guessed because I figured the plugs in the neutral safety switch has to go just one way so I just looked that the shapes and matched them without force..

do you know where the tube goes?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 673 Likes on 480 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by malc1080
do you know where the tube goes?
One of those switches is supposed to have a place for it . It is there to dump ( very quickly eliminate ) the vacuum at the cruise control servo to instantly disengage it when you step on the brakes .
Old 08-12-2020, 02:04 PM

Received 483 Likes on 233 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird GTA
Engine: Motown Aluminum 427
Transmission: TH400/GVO
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 IRS 3.75:1

definitely cruise control, sorry i dunno exactly where it goes, but if you find the cruise vacuum reservoir and follow the lines, u can probably find it.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:21 PM

Thanks you two for the help! I値l look the place for that cruise control tube!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:01 PM

Sorry to bug but does anyone have any pictures for Connecting the cruise control? I just found A 3rd switch and that痴 for the vacuum .

I see the 3 holes but just don稚 know which goes to which hole and I know the button has to face the front. Also is there anything that holds of is it just inserting them ?

Last edited by malc1080; 08-12-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

I'm happy to see you found the vacuum switch I told you about , and I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of exactly which hole each switch goes into . I can tell you that the spring metal inserts in the holes are what's supposed to hold the switches in place and that they just push in and that's it .
Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
I'm happy to see you found the vacuum switch I told you about , and I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of exactly which hole each switch goes into . I can tell you that the spring metal inserts in the holes are what's supposed to hold the switches in place and that they just push in and that's it .
lol see I found it as I was looking around the interior. Thanks for that! Yea I see the little metal things on the ground . I値l push them in the right bracket as soon as I find some pics !
Old 08-18-2020, 02:47 PM

Hi does anyone here had a 3rd gen camaro and can take a few pics of how the hook up all 3 switches from under the steering wheel brake switch , cruise , and vacuum please?!! Seeing pictures for manual 3rd gen will help since I need to know how to hook up these petals . Please . I don稚 have anyone else with 3rd gen that can help and I can稚 find any pics on the forum. Thank you

I can guess which rod goes to which petal since one has a curve to clear the stump on the brake petal. I just want to know where those 3 switches go. I u stand they go behind the brake petal but I want to see one that is already set up
Old 08-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Hardtop
Engine: LB9 w/G92 Pkg
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt, 3.45

I don稚 have anyone else with 3rd gen that can help and I can稚 find any pics on the forum...
I'm sure this is one of many projects you're going to tackle if you bought a shell and are making a complete car out of it. Instead of relying on the internet for every single issue, why don't you buy a shop manual specific to your car? They're readily available on eBay at a reasonable cost. Then you won't have to wait 8 hours or 3 days for someone to respond to get your answers... and you'll always get the correct answers.

Just my $.02.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by GarageToys
I'm sure this is one of many projects you're going to tackle if you bought a shell and are making a complete car out of it. Instead of relying on the internet for every single issue, why don't you buy a shop manual specific to your car? They're readily available on eBay at a reasonable cost. Then you won't have to wait 8 hours or 3 days for someone to respond to get your answers... and you'll always get the correct answers.

Just my $.02.
thank you so much! I was thinking of doing that. I don稚 have the help or the expertise but that won稚 stop me from making this a hobby. I知 Just learning along the way alone. You are correct that I plan on buying for cars since they are an addiction. I didn稚 want to rely on anyone for help so buying a shop manual is exactly what I need. Thanks for helping me out. If you have a manual in mind from experience That you recommend, let me know! Thanks!
Old 08-19-2020, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

thank you so much! I was thinking of doing that. I don稚 have the help or the expertise but that won稚 stop me from making this a hobby. I知 Just learning along the way alone. You are correct that I plan on buying for cars since they are an addiction. I didn稚 want to rely on anyone for help so buying a shop manual is exactly what I need. Thanks for helping me out. If you have a manual in mind from experience That you recommend, let me know! Thanks!
Also a point to remember is this , I only answer questions I'm sure of the answers to , for instance I knew the vacuum hose and it's function because the 87 TA I had years ago had that for it's cruise control (and my present day base model 89 bird has no cruise control and hence no vacuum hose on a switch at the brake pedal) . But as to exactly which of the switches goes where ? Honestly I haven't either a picture or a clue and wouldn't want to mess you up with a guess , which is why I didn't answer .
Old 08-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Hardtop
Engine: LB9 w/G92 Pkg
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt, 3.45

If you have a manual in mind from experience That you recommend, let me know! Thanks!
No problem. I like the GM factory shop manual. I think it has a lot more info than a typical Chilton manual you get at the parts store. You can find them on eBay pretty easy. Just type in '87 Camaro shop manual'. There are usually a few used ones on there and I think they may be reprinted as well so you may find a new one. I always buy used because I'm going to flip through it with greasy fingers anyway.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:03 PM

Thank you to both of you
Old 09-22-2020, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing up an old thread,

But where does that single red wire plug in? I've been stumped on my own build here..

Thanks