Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Wiper motor ground location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 05:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.77
Wiper motor ground location?

1988 GTA 350
My wiper motor and windshield washer have quit working. I put in a new multi switch and didn't fix it. Replaced the entire wiper unit (motor and circuit board) with a reman and still noting. Got to be ground right? Where is the ground location?
Old 03-27-2023, 10:04 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans AM
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Wiper motor ground location?

Did u test the motor before installing?

Old 03-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Ground is a copper strap around one of the 3 rubber insulators holding it to the firewall. Depends on the rigidity of the rubber. Incredibly beyond STOOOOOOOOPID.

Put in a short piece of wire between the motor casing and one of the existing ground screws on the firewall.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 72buickgs
Did u test the motor before installing?
yeah, both my motors work I just had a crack in the housing one so I replaced it.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:19 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans AM
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 3.23

With wiper motor installed, ground the motor to the firewall with a patch cord. Turn on the wiper & using a meter check power at the connectors. No power then wiring break or bad switch. Is fuse good? Check it.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 739 Likes on 565 Posts
Car: Resto-Mod 1987 IROC-Z Clone
Engine: Alky fed L92 Vortec Twin-Turbo 6.8L
Transmission: My own built/ design 4L80M
Axle/Gears: Custom 12 bolt (4.10:1)

There is no harm extending the Ground Wire down to the Fire-Wall Ground location down by the rear of the Engine.

While this should not be necessary, I personally do this for all of these cars that I come across.

Grounding is the most important part of the Cars electrical system.

All DC Electricity comes from the Negative Terminal of the Battery.
Remember in DC, Electricity flows in one direction, Negative to Positive.
Electricity (ELECTRONS), Negatively charged particles will flow towards the Positive charge.

The following users liked this post:
OrangeBird (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 669 Likes on 477 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
There is no harm extending the Ground Wire down to the Fire-Wall Ground location down by the rear of the Engine.

While this should not be necessary, I personally do this for all of these cars that I come across.

Grounding is the most important part of the Cars electrical system.

All DC Electricity comes from the Negative Terminal of the Battery.
Remember in DC, Electricity flows in one direction, Negative to Positive.
Electricity (ELECTRONS), Negatively charged particles will flow towards the Positive charge.
I have had many "discussions" in my life with people supposedly "electrically savvy" who simply will not accept this fact. I try explaining it with the Vacuum Tube operating principle ;

The cathode is biased negatively. The anode (plate) is biased positively. Electrons (negatively charged particles) leave the cathode and are collected by the plate*, electron flow from an area of excess electrons to an area electron deficient.

* as varied by the increasingly negatively charged grid.

Ya wanna really see some blowback, , , , try telling people about how since the earth is negatively charged, and the cloud is positively charged, in which direction is the power flow of a lightning bolt?
The following 2 users liked this post by OrangeBird:
NoEmissions84TA (06-24-2023), vorteciroc (03-28-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 04:51 PM

Back to the wiper issue. Had to take a break for a while.
- Wipers do not work
-washer sprayer not working

ground is good.
new motor
new circuit board
11.9 at green and bottom pink
0.04 at the 2 end wires of 3 on the motor.
power does not fluctuate from acc key on with multi switch on or off.any ideas?
Old 06-22-2023, 06:46 AM

If there is power to the motor from the column switch and my blinkers work does that mean the switch is still good?
Old 06-22-2023, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

Originally Posted by 88BLKTransAmGTA
If there is power to the motor from the column switch and my blinkers work does that mean the switch is still good?
The wiper motor and turn signals are supplied power from two separate fuses.
I would check continuity between these two, with the wipers switched on do you have voltage at the purple wire, with the washer switched on do you have voltage at the grey wire?

Old 06-24-2023, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 91banditt2
The wiper motor and turn signals are supplied power from two separate fuses.
I would check continuity between these two, with the wipers switched on do you have voltage at the purple wire, with the washer switched on do you have voltage at the grey wire?

grey is a yes
purple is a no👎
Old 06-24-2023, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
I have had many "discussions" in my life with people supposedly "electrically savvy" who simply will not accept this fact. I try explaining it with the Vacuum Tube operating principle ;

The cathode is biased negatively. The anode (plate) is biased positively. Electrons (negatively charged particles) leave the cathode and are collected by the plate*, electron flow from an area of excess electrons to an area electron deficient.

* as varied by the increasingly negatively charged grid.

Ya wanna really see some blowback, , , , try telling people about how since the earth is negatively charged, and the cloud is positively charged, in which direction is the power flow of a lightning bolt?
Then you learned electron flow (as I did in technical school) and that the current flows AGAINST the arrow. Confused the hell out of me in college because they taught conventional flow (WITH the arrow).
Old 06-24-2023, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88BLKTransAmGTA
You must have a leak and your blinker fluid is now low.
Time to change your blinker fluid.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

An interesting footnote to the "conventional current" conundrum:

A certain American, in the latter half of the 18th century, was one of the world's foremost scientific minds, on the cutting edge of discovery regarding electricity, which of course at that time was a completely novel and exciting phenomenon. This man probably advanced the field of understanding of this invisible yet powerful phenomenon as much as anyone did up until Michael Faraday. He was later the American ambassador to France during an important period in the early history of our country.

One of the things that was already known by that time was that there were 2 kinds of electric charge that could easily be accumulated. One was obtained by rubbing a rubber rod (!!) with fur (!!!); the other, by rubbing a glass rod with silk. It had been determined that these were actually the same thing, just, equal and opposite: if you brought things charged by either type together with objects charged by the same, they repelled each other; but if you brought ones from each type near the other type, they attracted. It was quite strange. A professor at Leiden University (I have a daughter who lives in Leiden, no more than a mile from the uni) investigated what we today would call a capacitor, but then was called a Leyden (archaic spelling of the town now known as Leiden, which also incidentally was where the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth Rock stayed for several years between fleeing England and crossing the Atlantic) jar. Since then, a substantial n umber of similar devices have been found in Baghdad, dating from 1500 - 2000 yrs ago, although no one quite knows today what those people knew about them or did with them. However all that may be, the man in Leiden (Leyden) found, among other things about it, that ALOT of charge could be stored in his device, enough to cause serious injury in fact. Anyway...

This American performed a particular experiment whose nature and purpose have become garbled in folklore, that involved a Leyden jar. He suspected that lightning was an electrical disturbance, having noticed that a lightning bolt looked alot like a YYYUUUUUJJJJJJE version of the spark one could get from a really charged-up Leyden jar. What he did was to fly a kite in a thunderstorm, connected to a Leyden jar, to collect some of the mysterious essence of lightning, so that he could investigate it more fully later on. He was able to determine that the substance collected from the lightning matched that which accumulated on the glass rod rubbed with silk. Since it seemed to him that this demonstrated that the kind of charge in lightning represented an overabundance or accumulation of something, he called this kind or polarity of charge "positive". So in one stroke, this world-class scientist positively established (sorry) the nature of lightning as electrical, and assigned polarity to it.

No doubt you've already figured out who this American of whom I speak was. None other than Benjamin Franklin of course. Also the inventor of a new musical instrument he called the "glass harmonica", whose ethereal sound so intrigued Mozart that he wrote a concerto and some other pieces for Glass Harmonica and Orchestra. As an example

Mozart wasn't the only one who wrote for it but he was certainly the most prominent. It must have sounded as otherwordly to people in the 1760s as the theremin did to people in the 1920s and 30s.

Anyway, as it turned out, Ben got it backwards. But his nomenclature for "positive" and "negative" stuck, to this day. The clouds lose electrons which have "negative" charge, and thereby become "positively" charged. And that's why conventional current flows from "positive" to "negative", while in actual physical reality, it's the "negatively" charged electrons that are doing the flowing.
The following users liked this post:
NoEmissions84TA (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Sofa, thanks for that.
And what an interesting instrument.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 739 Likes on 565 Posts
Car: Resto-Mod 1987 IROC-Z Clone
Engine: Alky fed L92 Vortec Twin-Turbo 6.8L
Transmission: My own built/ design 4L80M
Axle/Gears: Custom 12 bolt (4.10:1)

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
Then you learned electron flow (as I did in technical school) and that the current flows AGAINST the arrow. Confused the hell out of me in college because they taught conventional flow (WITH the arrow).
Note:

Just for clarity...
We have been Only discussing DC Circuits, and NOT Alternating Current.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:40 AM

Alright. I got the steering column apart and replaced the switch. Problem now is wipers only work on high and only go up and down a couple of inches. Anyone know what the issue is?