Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

GMC firebird.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GMC firebird.........

Birdy Question

1985 Pontiac Firebird 2.8MPFI
A timely answer would be much appreciated on this information, i have to have the engine in in the next days, wired and all i have again the Carburated module and the whole parts car, wiring harness and al, what all do i need to do as far as the fuel system to make it FI compatible?
Anyways, i have a question, i just aquired an 85 Pontiac fuel injected 2.8, beat to hell with a very nice motor, i have an 85 GMC jimmy 4x4 carburated, my question for yo is what exactly do i have to do to make the efi motor go into the jimmy, what is the fuel pressure spec on the pump, if i can interchange the tank i will, if not do i have to run a return line into the existing fuel tank, and replumb? i would then have to get an aftermarket electric fuel pump, So for anyone who have converted a carbed 2.8 to an EFI multiport then I would appreciate any available information.

Thanks in advance
Matt Manglos
Old 07-22-2002, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Z-28
Engine: a big one
Transmission: 4 spd auto soon to be a 6 speed
the EFI fuel pressure runs at about 30-40 (???) psi. there is already a return line for the fuel. and if your jimmy is carburated, i believe you would have two return lines, one for the fuel pump and one for the carb. as far as pumps go, carbed engined comonly have an engine driven pump that pumps at about 7 psi.

to get to EFI, i believe you can get a pump to put into your gas tank and it should just bolt up, but i am uncertain on your applacation.

as for your tank, an 85, i believe that there must be either an aftermarket pump that will install in there, or there is a stock one. or possibly the fuel pump out of the firebird may work.

and again, just my .02

good luck

andrew