Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

another 6-8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 cu.in
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: stock
another 6-8 swap

hey all, i have some questions,

i know the basic essentials for the swap, however would it be better to buy a newer injected 8 (if so what all would i have ot change) or just gut the sucker and run a cartberated

If it is better to run with the injected, would it be a better idea to a 4th generation engine, or run with an LS or LT

please reply back all help is apprectiated

Dr. J
Old 04-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 bird
Engine: enough to break stuff
Transmission: manual th400
Axle/Gears: 4.10
this is an age old question. it depends on your money, preferences, and what you plan to do with the car. for example, if the car is a toy and you want to build it up you can build more power and turn more R's with a carb setup. if you drive the car all the time and want more driveability maybe tpi is the way to go. carbs definatly are more powerful for the money you spend.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 with stuffs.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Posi
What kind of car do you have right now? If you are looking for a daily driver with more power, here's what I say: If your car is carb, keep it carb. If it's fuel injection, keep it fuel injection. That's if you want minimal headaches, also try to keep the vehicle and the engine years close together, I've found that helps for compatibility. This is if you just want a hassle free swap. If you want to go all out and have a nice race machine, then I would say go with the carb, just like stated above.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:25 AM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 cu.in
Transmission: stock
Axle/Gears: stock
now

right now i have a 2.8 liter injected. I'm starting to build the 8 that im gonna put in it but won't until i get something else. I think if i go with the injected i will probably pu a holly StealthRam intake on it but im nt for sure
Old 05-02-2003, 09:52 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 peg leg
I've learned over the past few years with engine swaps/building horsepower to be patient. Wanting my car to go fast RIGHT NOW has cost me undue expense and time. I have a lot of hindsight, and am kicking myself for all the things I attempted on my car.

With thirdgens, the easiest and usually cheapest route to go is to keep the platform that came with your car. In other words--if your car came with a FI V6, then keep a FI V6 in your car. If it came with a TPI V8, leave it TPI. The farther you venture from the platform that was originally in your car, the more headaches you will have, and the more money that will be spent. This is especially true if this is only your first or second time swapping engines/induction systems. What I thought would be a simple $2000, month long 305 TBI to 355 TPI swap has resulted in a much more expensive and lengthy project (It's been almost 3 years and my car still isn't completely finished). I abandoned the TPI, tried to get TBI to work, and when I had wasted enough money on that, I decided to go carb. Looking back, I should've just rebuilt the 305, and learned how to program TBI. Then I could've taken the time and built a really great engine over the years for a different car. Then I would've at least had something reliable and quick to drive while I built a speed monster. This isn't to say you would run into the same nightmares that I did. I doubt most people have as much trouble with their swaps, but the moral is that it isn't nearly as simple as it seems. By no means should this scare you off, though.

My advice to you: Build up that MPFI 2.8 in your car. That is a great engine with a lot of potential, and there are, surprisingly, a lot of go-fast parts for it, and other "free" things you can do yourself. In the meantime, keep building your 350 in the garage. Take your time and learn exactly what cam, heads, and other parts you want for it. You will learn as you accumulate parts for it. Hang out at machine shops, and talk to the guys there. As you build your 350, think about the car that you've always wanted, and start looking around for one without an engine. If the car you've always wanted is a thirdgen, then look for a V-8 thirdgen. This way, you can keep your V-6 for a driver, and get what you really want out of a V-8 car. I know it's tempting to go fast as soon as possible, but try to be patient, give it a couple years, and you will be much happier in the long run. Not trying to preach, but I just don't want anyone to screw up like I did! Hope this is somewhat helpful, it sure helped me get some things off my chest!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:14 AM

Has anyone EVER had a successfful and happy 6 to 8 swap?? I've already invested into this v6, and I have a $2300 350 rebuild ready to go in next week. This is the do or die time. Next week I etiher jerk the v6 out or not. The v6 doesn't run right now anyway...but has anyone EVER done a good 6-8?? E-V-E-R? Is there hope for my project?? BTW=its an mpfi 3.1, from a 92....and the engine is going to be using a pre-87 TPI setup. Or....will it work?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:56 AM

Car: 86' camaro s/c
Engine: 357
Transmission: th350
I have done the 6-8 swap as many others have. I would say it has been very successful and i'm very happy w/ it. But after doing it, even w/ a parts car I found that the major things are the easy part. Its chasing down and locating all the little items thats the real pain in the rear as well as the pocketbook. If I could do it all over again I would have just found a origional v-8 car and done it. But finding a decent priced v-8 car around here that is in any kind of good shape is near impossible. I think total i paid $4000 or so for my car and doing the swap. It would have been more if i hadn't already have my engine and tranny from my other car. I went w/ a carbed 350 though. Easier to tune and troubleshoot in my opinion. But yeah, if your intent on doing it, take whatever time your allowing yourself to do it in and add about a month! Thats what happened to me. I thought a month would do it w/ me working on it here and there. I did the majority of it in a few days. It took me over a month to get all the little things. They add up quick.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

my car was a mpfi 2.8.
i have found that once you get more horse power ( engine swap), you need more horse power( NOS, bigger everything, etc.).now you need a th-350 thats been built up cause you blew up the 700r-4. now you need to put in a 12 bolt or 9in. to replace the 10 bolt you broke with your new 5000 stall converter. is it just me or doesn't it matter what you start with.

point is if your like me the car is a toy, and you always want to go faster and if you like the body of the car thats all thats going to be left after a few years anyway
Old 05-13-2003, 11:29 PM

Car: 86' camaro s/c
Engine: 357
Transmission: th350
Originally posted by jwfirebird
my car was a mpfi 2.8.
i have found that once you get more horse power ( engine swap), you need more horse power( NOS, bigger everything, etc.).now you need a th-350 thats been built up cause you blew up the 700r-4. now you need to put in a 12 bolt or 9in. to replace the 10 bolt you broke with your new 5000 stall converter. is it just me or doesn't it matter what you start with.

point is if your like me the car is a toy, and you always want to go faster and if you like the body of the car thats all thats going to be left after a few years anyway
I couldn't agree more! But thats the way to upgrade. Run it till you break something. Then replace it w/ bigger better parts!
Old 05-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

thats true i went through two 2.8's before i realized the engine just wasn't made for beating