Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

magnaflow pics needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
magnaflow pics needed

I'm really close to buying a cat-back for my 89 iroc. I've seen many pics of how the flowmaster setup look, which is my second choice. I want to see how the magnaflow system (#16829) looks from different angles.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: magnaflow pics needed

Originally Posted by JR-IROC
I'm really close to buying a cat-back for my 89 iroc. I've seen many pics of how the flowmaster setup look, which is my second choice. I want to see how the magnaflow system (#16829) looks from different angles.

youtube has gobs of videos. Honestly, it's a 1 inlet to a 2 outlet muffler with dual tail pipes. If you want to know what the system itself looks like then all the web sites where it's sold, and the Magnaflow site are accurate with the photo.

I put one on my 4th gen because it was stainless all the way back and I gave the Z28 to my son.

On my 3rd gen which I'm restoring, I'll probably just go with a cheapie dynomax because I want the turned down tail pipes and am probably going to sell the 3rd gen when I'm done.

Magnaflow is a good product. If you are young, then yes, it's a big purchase for you but you'll kill yourself trying to overanalyze your decision. If you aren't comfortable with spending the money then don't get one.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I'll probably just go with a cheapie dynomax because I want the turned down tail pipes and am probably going to sell the 3rd gen when I'm done.

Magnaflow is a good product. If you are young, then yes, it's a big purchase for you but you'll kill yourself trying to overanalyze your decision. If you aren't comfortable with spending the money then don't get one.
Hey hey hey, Dynomax is good stuff. Their Ultra Flo flows a massive 2,000 SCFM, and they give a very deep tone. I want the race bullets, for the sake of having a lightweight exhaust setup that doesn't take up too much room.

I think he wants to see how the tips look, not the actual catback. Not sure. I think you can overanalyze any purchase, big or small, if you're young or old. I'm on the young side myself, and I completely overanalyzed the purchase of my Mustang for nearly a year. Exhaust videos, staring at pictures, just really making sure I wanted one. Glad I bought it, but now I want to put some cash into the IROC for once.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shadow Z
Hey hey hey, Dynomax is good stuff. Their Ultra Flo flows a massive 2,000 SCFM, and they give a very deep tone. I want the race bullets, for the sake of having a lightweight exhaust setup that doesn't take up too much room.

I think he wants to see how the tips look, not the actual catback. Not sure. I think you can overanalyze any purchase, big or small, if you're young or old. I'm on the young side myself, and I completely overanalyzed the purchase of my Mustang for nearly a year. Exhaust videos, staring at pictures, just really making sure I wanted one. Glad I bought it, but now I want to put some cash into the IROC for once.
Magnaflow is stainless the entire system. Dynomax isn't stainless and thus the price difference. Just because I said "cheapie Dynomax" does not mean that it isn't bad for what it cost.

And with respect to overanalyzing; honestly, folks who have been around and done a few cars don't get as caught up in "what exhaust" or "what CAI"

I fully understand why nowaday the youngsters do that. When i first began, I'd ask anyone over 30 who had been wrenching for a while and actually had experience with what I was about to do. There are now a heck of a lot more choices today with respect to aftermarket parts.

But, at the end of the day, we're talking about a pipe and a muffler; not rocket science. You base the decision on price, how long you'll have the car (stainless needed or not) and sound.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
And with respect to overanalyzing; honestly, folks who have been around and done a few cars don't get as caught up in "what exhaust" or "what CAI"
I don't want to turn this into a little debate, but that is just not true. Pretty much backwards. Younger guys are typically the ones who will just automatically shoot for what they can afford. Sort of like a "gotta have (Insert cool part name) now" effect.

Someone who has been around for a while, and has experience, or is just knowledgeable is going to search the whole market. To look for the part that performs the best in the case of performance, or parts that look the best, in the case of wheels, etc.

Pulling the trigger on something without research and opinions is kind of a dumb move. There could be a way better product out there. It's good to overanalyze and be fully aware of what you're getting, than to just shoot and buy something you're not happy with, with bigger purchases.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Oh, don't take the Dynomax issue to heart. I was just kidding around. I know they're a cheaper exhaust, but still a real good product.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shadow Z
I don't want to turn this into a little debate, but that is just not true. Pretty much backwards. Younger guys are typically the ones who will just automatically shoot for what they can afford. Sort of like a "gotta have (Insert cool part name) now" effect.

Someone who has been around for a while, and has experience, or is just knowledgeable is going to search the whole market. To look for the part that performs the best in the case of performance, or parts that look the best, in the case of wheels, etc.

Pulling the trigger on something without research and opinions is kind of a dumb move. There could be a way better product out there. It's good to overanalyze and be fully aware of what you're getting, than to just shoot and buy something you're not happy with, with bigger purchases.

2 comments

BINGO

and ARGHHH

let me be less politically correct

experienced folks WILL look for the best bang for the buck but will then PULL THE TRIGGER.

It's just an exhaust or or just a CAI.

Newbs will spends days or weeks talking about............"what exhaust"

will watch hours of youtube etc etc

it's a darn pipe and a muffler ...... pull the trigger, buy it and get it done and move on. Buy what you can comfortably afford.

If Dynomax is $200 and Magnaflow is $400, then either is better than stock and at times, folks lose sight of that just like with headers. Anything is better than stock manifolds. And i will again say it, you'll drive yourself nuts looking for the "perfect exhaust". Once you slap one onto your vehicle, it then becomes the "perfect exhaust" for you.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 PM

I just wanted some real pics of peoples cars because I looked it up many times on youtube and some peoples systems look like they hang down and out too much. wondering if it was just the way it was installed or if that's just how they are.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

I just wanted some real pics of peoples cars because I looked it up many times on youtube and some peoples systems look like they hang down and out too much. wondering if it was just the way it was installed or if that's just how they are.
do a youtube search on "magnaflow camaro" and there are about 2100 results.

You get all kinds of videos of tail pipes.

When you look at the kit, you can see that the tail pipes are clamped to the muffler.

In other words, if you want the left pipe 1 inch off the ground and the right pipe up by the valance then you can. If you want them to be equal and about 3/4 inch below the valance then do that. Simply loosen the clamps, adjust the tailpipe to how you want it and tighten.

The point I'm making is it's up to the installer as to where the tail pipes are.

In fact, here's a pic of my 4th gen which has a magnaflow catback, ORY and LT headers. You can see both sides are at the same height.
Attached Thumbnails magnaflow pics needed-pic_0020.jpg  

Last edited by torque_is_good; 02-04-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Car: 90 Formula -- tot resto in progress
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4 w/ 2500 stall, by Owen @ ARD
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc

If I may,

I just finished wrestling the Magnaflow system into my project,
and have some reasonable pics. Unfortunately, I don't yet know
how to get the out of the camera, onto my pc in jpeg format.

However, I can offer some observations from the experience.

The biggest issue I had was that the pipe that goes over the axle,
would not clear the sub-frame connector brace. If you look at the
picture, it's one single 90 bend, where intuitively an arc would
fit better. Fitment required some cutting and shortening this
piece, but the muffler still had to be placed further toward the rear,
which in turn negated positioning of the existing factory hangers,
and pushed the exhaust tips about 6" past the bumper.

Other issues are the 3" clamps in the system won't tighten properly,
and 2 different socket connectors is a waste -- try to find single
ball connector.

On the upside, the 3" stainless is an impressive sight. I don't have
it running yet, so I can't comment about sound & overall performance.

So all the about youth, experience etc. aside,
what is anyone else's actual experience with the Magnaflow kit?
And or other similar products.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Car: 89 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI

Name:  IMAG0052.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  161.2 KBName:  IMAG0056.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  50.9 KBName:  IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  132.9 KB
Old 02-05-2011, 12:37 AM

thanks Muskr, thats exactly what I wanted to see. Perfect side view.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Car: 89 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI

thanks Muskr, thats exactly what I wanted to see. Perfect side view.
you are welcome
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

ey Muskr, whats the id number or name of that muffler that you have on your Iroc... thanks dude...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: SOLD!!!!!

i have done the stainless. i have done the aluminized. they both lasted. the stainless i had worked for a while as well as the aluminized. i have had both for at least five years. and they are both doing well. i am 42. like mentioned above we look a lot and then pull the trigger. there is a method to the madness. you will learn when you get older.

on my 92 i have a walker prebent pipe from the cat to the muffler. ( cat back pipe) i then have a magnaflow muffler. then have aluminiezed tailpipes with stainless magnaflow tips. it is four years old and still looks the same. tip from me.

if they are going to climb under your car to look for anything--they are there for alternate reasons. and i have seen many a show car win with aluminized.

im not rich. so $400 or more on an exhaust was not in the budget. also with my knowledge of exhaust and knowing that alunized is going to last at least-( at least) 5 to 7 years. you cant beat a $200 savings with something knowing that you have 5 to 7 years to change your mind. and three aluminized exhaust will cost as much as 4 stainless.

and if you think about it stock exhaust on vehicles last up to 10 to 15 years. they are not stainless. as a matter of fact the stock exhaust ( aluminized ) from factory is still on our avalanche and it is 9 years old. and it is not rotted nor a hole one in it.

Last edited by one92rs; 02-09-2011 at 06:32 PM.