Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Questions about Hooker 2055 y-pipe install..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Questions about Hooker 2055 y-pipe install..

I finally got my headers installed, it sounds great. Now I have a few questions about the y-pipe and catalytic converter

Where the y-pipe meets the headers.. how far are you supposed to tighten the bolts down? Hand tight? Because that gasket or flange or whatever it is on the ypipe started to warp, so I loosened it back up.

Is there supposed to be space between the two plates that have the holes for the bolts? It seems like there should be just enough space so that the flared part of the y-pipe is in between the y-pipe plate and the header plate.

Do I need to use a clamp where the y-pipe meets the catalytic converter? I got a 3" Magnaflow cat and it slipped on a little too easy. Seems pretty secure, but considering how easy it went on, I'm a little worried.

Also, do I need to use that stock hanger for the catalytic converter? I broke my old one while taking off the old cat and catback. The cat seems to stay just fine without it.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.
Re: Questions about Hooker 2055 y-pipe install..

Originally Posted by FreeSpirit
I finally got my headers installed, it sounds great. Now I have a few questions about the y-pipe and catalytic converter

Where the y-pipe meets the headers.. how far are you supposed to tighten the bolts down? Hand tight? Because that gasket or flange or whatever it is on the ypipe started to warp, so I loosened it back up.

Is there supposed to be space between the two plates that have the holes for the bolts? It seems like there should be just enough space so that the flared part of the y-pipe is in between the y-pipe plate and the header plate.

Do I need to use a clamp where the y-pipe meets the catalytic converter? I got a 3" Magnaflow cat and it slipped on a little too easy. Seems pretty secure, but considering how easy it went on, I'm a little worried.

Also, do I need to use that stock hanger for the catalytic converter? I broke my old one while taking off the old cat and catback. The cat seems to stay just fine without it.
I've always made those pretty tight, they never warped on me. Don't go impact gun tight. Thats not needed.

You'll need a hanger, and I'd use a 3" bandclamp. Dont' be afraid to go really tight with the band clamp, it can only seal better. It will stretch to conform.

Band clamps are your best friend on these cars. They prevent the pipe from being crushed while providing an excellent seal.

Also for header bolts I used a mix of cap screws, and regular 7/16h header bolts.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:05 PM

That's weird. Tomorrow I'll loosen it up all the way, then try again. It was harder than I thought to get the bolts in. I don't have access to a lift, so I can only jack the car up, and I didn't have anyone helping me, so I just used a jack to help me hold up the y-pipe.

Thanks, I'll order the hanger. What's the difference between a band clamp and a regular exhaust clamp? I mean I know you told me the functional difference, but how can I tell which one is which?

This picture shows the space in between the two plates where the bolts go through. It should be like that right? Instead of being flush. Mine are just a little farther apart than the picture, but probably because I didn't tighten it all the way.
http://s244.photobucket.com/user/xfl...765_n.jpg.html
Old 10-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Don't tighten the y pipe until you have the rest of the exhaust buttoned up. The ball flange design allows for alot of adjustment.

As for the band clamp NAPA carries them. You want a 3" band clamp.

Just google it. One picture will explain it all. A band clamp spreads the load over a much larger area. It also won't crush the pipe like a u-bolt clamp will. Band clamps are not however reusable. The metal stretches and then they stop sealing well.

The y pipe is actually very easy to install. Once you get the angles down.

Focus on a single bolt on each side. I used the jack to lift the other side of the y pipe. I got pretty good at it.

Now I have the 2210 long tubes and they are as much a pain as everyone says. They better be worth it.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:42 PM

Oh okay, that makes sense. That wide range of adjustment is what made me think I did something wrong. Since one side is angled one way, the other side is angled another way.

Thanks for the advice. I will install my catback and get a hanger for the cat before I tighten the y-pipe all the way down.

Yeah I see what you mean. Band clamps have flat metal, almost like it's a 1" long pipe. Instead of just the U Clamps which are round, not flat.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Once you have the exhaust completely installed and tucked up the way it should be, take a metal or a permanent marker of a sort and trace the edges of the exposed ballflange.

You can then take a die grinder and open up the ball flange collectors to increase flow.

Or if you wait a few months the exhaust will mark the area's you can port for you by coating it with carbon.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:18 AM

Car: 89 Trans Am
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4

Sorry to revive the thread, but what was the part number for the converter? I have the 2055s as well and the magnaflow 16829 cat back, talked with magnaflow and they told me the cat-back would slip on fine but they weren't sure about the y-pipe side. Was it MPE-93441? Thats what I was looking at.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

There is no converter part number.

Its done by the shop who specifies the length needed to mate the two.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Baker
Sorry to revive the thread, but what was the part number for the converter? I have the 2055s as well and the magnaflow 16829 cat back, talked with magnaflow and they told me the cat-back would slip on fine but they weren't sure about the y-pipe side. Was it MPE-93441? Thats what I was looking at.
I used MPE-332019, which is Magnaflow's universal 3" catalytic converter with AIR tube. It slipped onto the Hooker 2055 y-pipe fine, but it did not slip on to the Hooker Aerochamber catback I got. I ended up getting the catback installed at an exhaust shop. They just welded it together.

Looks like that 93441 model is cheaper and will work even better since it's designed for our cars ("direct fit" as they say). Wish I had seen that model before I bought mine!