Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 72 Fbird. Want another 3rd gen :(
Engine: Poncho 350
Transmission: Turbo 350
headliner

ok.. so me and my dad went to fix my hadliner.. we took it down ripped of the old and the stuff.. we put new meterial on it.. and it came down a few days later.. and looked like crap.. so now its sitting in my garage with nothing on it.. with that said.. how could i make a template or something for a fiberglass headliner? i was htinking that i could make the whole headliner peice out of fiberglass and just paint it gray, has anyone seen this before?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:09 PM

Car: 91 camaro 305 tbi
Engine: 305 tbi l03
Transmission: 700r4
ive seen fiberglass headliners before but not in our cars...and to make it i assume u can either use the the old liner for the template or even better just tape alluminum foil on the roof and glass over it so it dosent stick for the template, now im not experienced in glass but i do see it as being to much of a chore. would probably be better to mix it thick so its holds to form when hanging but im sure u will get alot better help in here other than my suggestions.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:16 PM

thanks im gunna try the aluminum foil.. and if i do get it to look pretty good ill try to get pics up.. and more help would greatlky appreciated... also if i satred to make these and offered them on the boards.. do you think people would buy them dependning on how good it looks and what not..?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:04 PM

depends on cost shipped i guess and id have to see pics of it in the car to see how it fits in w/ the interior cause my headliner is saggin alot and im n need of another one...but it would have to be right on w/ some kinda guareentee to get my money cause it has to have holes cut for visors etc... that i would hate to have holes just a lil off and have to make new ones and have holes showing w/ nothin in them if that makes since but let me know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 PM

yeah very true.. makes me have second thoughts.. but i would try to make the template as dead on with holes, etc. as i possibly could.. also.. dos anyone know anymeterial to make a template that hte fiberglass wouldnt stick to?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 PM

i dont but not to say others dont i know most on here just cover w/ tin foil and it dosent stick as much and even if it does u can peel off once dry
Old 09-15-2005, 02:25 PM

i did try test it with the tin foil.. and it did peel off.. so i am going to try to cover the headliner and fiberglass over it.. we'll see how it comes out.. i wish i has a digital camera to take pics =(
Old 09-15-2005, 05:15 PM

ok well im a complete noob at all of this fiberglass stuff.. how would you make the fiberglsass thicker? and how would you keep the fiberglass on the headliner.. like on the curves etc.. since it rns off.. ugh more work than i expected
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 355
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I was watching mine flop in wind the other day and wondered if putting vinyl on it would be better than the cloth.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:43 PM

Car: 2007 Dodge Charger R/T
Engine: 5.7L HEMI
headliner

I toyed with tghe idea of using fiberglass to rebuild the headliner iin my 91 T-top car. A buddy stopped me real fast though. He had tried it once and said in order for you to get it to look right it will be way to heavy. He did it and it was nearly impossible to keep up on the roof. He then helped me rebuild mine using of all thigs a roll of duck tape, lol. Yeah I know sounds real ghetto I am sure, cause thats waht I said but had nothing to lose ya know. So once we had completed it and recovered it with new material it was good as new. Bascily rebuild all the curves and such by applyin strips od the tape over the entire thing. It will take about two layers to hold up real well. You should do the inside and outside of the headliner. Then spray 3M adhesive glue to the :new" headliner and cover it with the new material. Make any needed cuts to instal you visers and you are done. Tokk maybe a couple of hours butwell worth it since an new aftermarket headliner for my car was ridiculous shipped here to Hawaii. Well thats my 2 cents, take it as you may and good luck. L8R!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:50 PM

yeah ive used ducktape for some cracks and too hold it together a little bit.. ive done the headliner over. its just that it satrted to sag liekk2 days later.. i think its because of the surface.. the glue didnt soak in or wasnt sticking right.. the fiberglass does seem like its going to be heavy.. but still worth the try =) .. im stil in the process.. havent done much since school started and all
Old 10-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
I would just go to the junk yard and get someone elses cardboard, scrape the foam off and stick some new sheet material on it. Mine was easy because of the t-tops but I just took it down, scraped the old foam off of the cardboard deal that pins up there, got some material from walmart and 3M adhesive. My total cost for headliner was 11.50
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 auburn pro 9"
I tryed doin mine in fiberglass, I took it out and used a spare headliner, covered it in cloth and resin sanded it all down, It looked great but when i went to put it in it didnt have the flex I needed to squeeze it over my rollcage! so i found this kit on ebay that sent me the foam back material and adhesive and it worked AWESOME! it looks as good as any car out there! I found it on ebay for around $30 shipped, trust me you wont be disapointed. Just make sure you scape the old foam off or itll just fall down again. Ive had mine in for over a year now and during the summer the interior reaches in eexcess of 105deg! no sag looks perfect if you want i can take some pics.

this is the link to a similar kit
http://www.stockinteriors.com/autoheadliner.asp

step by step instructions & kits
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/camaro/
Old 10-05-2005, 02:39 PM

i know about all the fabrics becaus eive recovered it with other fabrics... just wanted to do something different to see how it looked
Old 10-05-2005, 06:58 PM

Car: 85 TA
Engine: dont wanna talk about it
Transmission: 700r4 for now
if you are going to use fiberglass you would not be ablr to do it in the car unless you can flip it upside down, there is no way, no matter how thick you make it, that it is goign to hang upside down and not fall off.

I would deffinetley take the old board out and use several coats af high temp wax, so the glass will release.

Keep in ming the thicker you make the glass the less it will flex and you dont really need a head liner to be real thick.

Also keep in mind that resin shrinks, especially cheap stuff, so dont be surprised if the headliner fit at firtst and then after a really hot day it doesnt fit well anymore.

If there is anythign else you want to know about fibergalss i use fiberglass everday so maybe ill know, not a guarantee, i dont know everything. Just ask
Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 PM

ahh thank *** =) someone who kinda has a clue with fiberglass.. nobody who really knew what they were doin posted here.. anyways whats your email? you have AIM or MSN?