FAQ Board This board is where some of the most informative and helpful Frequently Asked Questions we get here at ThirdGen.Org are put for easier reference. This IS NOT a general question board.

98+ CAMARO “LS1” Brakes: Bigger & Better Period

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: ZZ4 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73
Re: 98+ CAMARO “LS1” Brakes: Bigger & Better Period

Ok, now one of you guys needs to put the new ZR1 Calipers on!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by 91banditt2
Back from the dead I know.
Because if it's worth doing it's worth over doing.
My question is if I welded a grade 10.9 12mm nut to the lower caliper bracket mounting hole for more thread engagement will that interfere with other brake or suspension parts?
That bracket/bolt is going to see VERY little tensile stress compared to its strength. The majority of the load that would go through it is shear, and even that shouldnt be a big deal since the bolt should be holding that bracket to it so tightly that every time you use the brakes, that torque should be going into the mating surfaces instead of that bolt since they're clamped together so tightly. It indubitably sees some shear stress, but I wouldnt worry about tensile stress for it.

Your lower control arm bolts see a lot of shear stress as well, and they're held on by a nut. That nut isnt much, if any thicker than your bracket, and the bolt is bigger.

It will make it less likely to back out on you, but you shouldnt let it do that anyway.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

Originally Posted by Strangecars
Can you try to tell me why you need to add the nut or spacer?
When I tapped this hole approximately 1/8" to 1/4" of the threads are not square with the hole. Once I realized what was happening I started over by tapping the hole from the other side so 85 - 75 % of the hole has good threads. Though I'm pretty confident that this wont be an issue with sufficient thread engagement I would be more confident if there were more thread engagement by welding a nut to the spindle.

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
That bracket/bolt is going to see VERY little tensile stress compared to its strength. The majority of the load that would go through it is shear, and even that shouldnt be a big deal since the bolt should be holding that bracket to it so tightly that every time you use the brakes, that torque should be going into the mating surfaces instead of that bolt since they're clamped together so tightly. It indubitably sees some shear stress, but I wouldnt worry about tensile stress for it.

Your lower control arm bolts see a lot of shear stress as well, and they're held on by a nut. That nut isnt much, if any thicker than your bracket, and the bolt is bigger.

It will make it less likely to back out on you, but you shouldnt let it do that anyway.
Thank you for your reply it makes me feel a little better about my situation. But my question is still, will a nut welded to the spindle interfere with any other suspension parts.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Which bolt hole did you mess up? Which brake kit are you running?

Im guessing you mean the lower spindle mount hole? You might be able to weld a nut and grind it down, there's not much space between it and the abutment bracket. But how would you be sure the threads of the nut matched with the threads of the hole?

If it makes you feel any better... I mangled up my upper mount hole on mine. Didn't drill it deep enough and just broke off a bolt in it. Stupid mistake and I was being careless. Had to drill it out. Used the same size bolt I think... only one side of the threads has issues and the threads are still there. It goes in snug, and it's a big, deep bolt, but it's not getting as much thread engagement as it should. It hasnt shown any tendency to come loose or fail in the last 3 years Ive had these brakes on the car. I say as long as it torques down to anywhere near spec, you're okay.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 04-16-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

The hole in question is the lower carrier bracket bolt hole. I am going to be running the LS1 brakes. I have the holes tapped to a 12 mm x 1.75 and to add the nut I would grind the back serface down enough to where a nut would sit flush with the lower spindle bolt hole then running a long 12 mm bolt and snugging it down then snugging a 12 mm nut down onto the 12 mm bolt then do weld the nut in place, a full weld not tasted in place. This way nuts the threads should match up to the threaded hole in the spindle. Every assembly picture I see on here shows the lower caliper carrier bracket bolt either flush with the back of the spindle or just past flush with the spindle. So I was hoping that someone can confirm that this nut welded into place won't interfere with other components.
I hear ya when you talk about making a mistake making modifications. I my self graduated from machine trades so I went school for tapping holes lol felt like a dumbass.
Attached Thumbnails -image.jpeg  
Old 04-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Something like this but welded to the spindle.
Attached Thumbnails -img_2381.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Bringing this back from the dead. When doing a ls1 front brake upgrade, (c5 caliper, ls1 abutment bracket, ls1 rotor, turned down 3rd gen rotor-hub), How much offset do you gain? Its what ever the thickness of the hat is right? x2, for both sides... reason I'm asking is I am looking at buying some wheels and I have all the sizes figured out but thats based off stock parts. I cant imagine its more than 1/2 to 5/8 gained between both sides. So 1/4 to 5/16 per side? Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks

By the way, great job everyone on all the R&D!!!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 GTA
Engine: 402ci LS2
Transmission: faceplated T56
Axle/Gears: 9" w/ 4.11's

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
Bringing this back from the dead. When doing a ls1 front brake upgrade, (c5 caliper, ls1 abutment bracket, ls1 rotor, turned down 3rd gen rotor-hub), How much offset do you gain? Its what ever the thickness of the hat is right? x2, for both sides... reason I'm asking is I am looking at buying some wheels and I have all the sizes figured out but thats based off stock parts. I cant imagine its more than 1/2 to 5/8 gained between both sides. So 1/4 to 5/16 per side? Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks

By the way, great job everyone on all the R&D!!!
Bottom line is that if you're turning down 3rd gen rotors into hubs, your track width will increase by the thickness of the rotors. That's it...

Probably 1/4" per side.

Basically nothing. lol
Old 04-06-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 55 chevy Belair & 86IROC Z
Engine: 350 in 55 86IROC Z LT1
Transmission: 55 4speed IROC Z4L60e
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 410 in55 and 342 inCamaro

Originally Posted by 89 Iroc Z
Martin: I have already started a tech article for the C4 and LS1 brake swaps. I will finish it when I finish my brake swap.

Lock & RMK: I have got some measurements done. I very busy because taking summer classes. However, this weekend I should have some good quality time to finish the LS1 bracket design in CAD and get it posted. I’ll keep everyone posted.

In addition, I discovered that the C5 calipers are actually even more different from the LS1 calipers then I originally thought. I guess the internet is not always the best place to go for accurate information. I asked the guy behind the desk in the part store to show me a C5 caliper. The C5 caliper has stiffing ribs the whole length of the caliper and is all around stronger. I have also heard but not confirmed yet that the C5 caliper has a slightly different piston size. I will bring my measuring caliper to the auto parts store next time and get the real measurements. The LS1 and C5 calipers are interchangeable in the caliper carrier or abutment bracket as some call it. So I can upgrade from LS1 calipers to C5 calipers whenever I want without replacing the brake line, caliper carriers (abutment brackets), pads or rotors. For right now, I am sticking with the LS1 calipers.
what size holes on LS1 bracket and how thick is it and on the hub new bolt is there apart #number thanks and can the LS1 bracket be made of Aluminum? Thank you
Old 04-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 55ChevyMan
what size holes on LS1 bracket and how thick is it and on the hub new bolt is there apart #number thanks and can the LS1 bracket be made of Aluminum? Thank you
the original design had holes large enough for M12 bolts to pass through, with the placement of the lower mount hole I`m not sure I would do aluminum..remember rule of thumb , twice as thick for aluminum. In steel they are 3/8 thick.