History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Numbers-matching components?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numbers-matching components?

Hey, guys. I'm semi-new here and I've finally thought of a question(s) to ask that I haven't found an answer for. I have an '89 IROC and I'm thinking about parting out some of the L98 components so I can afford to finish the 350 HO crate motor. Here are my questions:

1. Do '82-'92 Camaro engines have numbers that bind them to a specific car?

2. If so, where would I find these numbers?

3. Would these numbers also be on the various engine components such as intakes, heads, exhaust manifolds, etc.?

I know that the VIN and the RPO list will tell what size engine is supposed to be in the car, but I don't know if there's any information on the engine (and/or its components) that specifically binds it to a particular vehicle. If this information exists, I'll keep my original components if the numbers match. Thanks in advance for any responses.

-Ray
Old 08-02-2003, 02:06 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
The only number I know of that would put an engine with one specific car is on the engine block only. I think it has the same numbers stamped somewere into it that are the same as the last few numbers on the car's VIN number... Don't take my word for it though, i've never really understood what matched what, this is just how I understood it.

I've heard something about numbers on the carb that are the same as well, but I'm not sure about that one at all.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Air_Adam
The only number I know of that would put an engine with one specific car is on the engine block only. I think it has the same numbers stamped somewere into it that are the same as the last few numbers on the car's VIN number

Yeah, I read this somewhere before as well, but the only thing I could find on my block is the casting number and a couple of other things. None of what I found matched anything in my VIN, though. Here's what I found:

5.7LG
SGI (that's what it looked like to me)
A169
14093638 (casting number probably)

The first 3 pieces of information were found on the driver side bellhousing flange. Thanks for the response, Air_Adam. Anyone else who has ideas, suggestions, tips, etc., feel free to put in your $.02

Ray
Old 08-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
On V-8 engines, there is a pad on the front of the block, right below the cylinder head with numbers stamped on it.

The code can tell you things like induction, HP rating, compression ratio, model year, assembly plant and will also have the last 6 digits of the car's VIN number. If you can find that code, I'll help you break it down.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by GMTech
On V-8 engines, there is a pad on the front of the block, right below the cylinder head with numbers stamped on it.
I appreciate your suggestion, GMTech, but I'm not seeing that pad

I have the engine out of the car, so I can look anywhere on the block, but I didn't see anything like what you speak of; however, I've been known to overlook things from time to time.

Does your suggestion apply to all GM vehicles or just certain generations? The engine in question is a TPI engine from an '89 IROC.

Sorry to be annoying with this topic, but I'd rather not sell anything that I can document as original numbers-matching components. Thanks again, guys - I appreciate the suggestions.

Ray
Old 08-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1
The numbers are stamped into the the front, passenger side of the block. There is a section of the cylinder head mating surface on the block (deck) that extends beyond the cylinder head. It would be just behind the A/C compressor. If you have your accessory brackets on the engine, you will have to take the one for the A/C compressor and the air pump off. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Here's the "pad" where you'll find stamped numbers:
Attached Thumbnails Numbers-matching components?-rebuild-20a.jpg  
Old 08-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys, pictures are worth a thousand words!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:30 PM

Willie,

My block doesn't have a pad like that anywhere, so my guess is that it was removed (if they can BE removed). So much for originality I guess, but that's OK - I'll just keep the engine anyway so I can get some building practice, then find another f-body to bring to life

Thanks for the pics/tips/suggestions. Good info.

Ray
Old 08-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

I have seen a few engines that had numbers stamped vertically above the oil filter.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:10 PM

I just recently aquired a 350 that I am giong to rebuild and put into an... um... 76 chevy luv. " ought to be fun" anyhow My motor is the same. I dont have the tab sticking out from the head either. Mine also has the 5.7LG SGI marking on the side. The only other number I can find on the motor are in either side and is 880. If I am correct mine is a 95 but other than the truck it came out of I dont know.

Has anyone been able to find the code yet? If so where should I be looking?
I just want to know if my motor came stock with a roller cam, and if not how easy is it to change out?

Newest Member
Nieve to engine parts

Gimeadollar
Old 05-02-2006, 08:21 PM

I Found my tab with info YAY!

Anyhow GMTech if you happen to read this post will you help me in decoding the secret engine code

my block is a 10243880 with the info from the above post.
the number that was on the secret tab is V063OPJF

the zero and O look exactly like that on the motor
I appreciate it. From what I gather this motor does not come stock with a roller cam. But will one fit without any major mods

Thanks again
learning everday
Gimeadollar
Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc rebuild
Engine: 355 carb'd
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3:08 pos for a while
VIN derivative

must the number you found doesn't seem to correlate,deciphering answers will be interesting/informative