History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

YOUR HELP NEEDED: (YOUR VIN)

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI
YOUR HELP NEEDED: (YOUR VIN)

Hello

In preparation on Implementing a VIN Decoding and History Report feature to the new website, I am needing a list of REAL VIN numbers. Not just VALID VIN's but those who are registered with real cars.

As a result I am to experiment with perhaps a dozen or so REAL (those where the cars actually exist and not just an Valid "possible" VIN). These need to be the 17Digit 1981-2013+ CAMARO VIN's.

I'd appreciate if some of you can PRIVATE MSG me your VIN number. I'm sure many here will recognize me; i've been an active Member of the Camaro Community for over 12 years)

I basically will be using these Registered VIN's for two purposes:

1. Validate the accuracy of the VIN Decoder
2. Validate the availability of History Information records (but have no access to actually obtain these records)

Please remember I can only use CAMARO vins 17 digits (1981-2013+).

Please let me know the YEAR as well to validate the year for the VIN decoder.

Thanks again very much in advance :-)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Re: YOUR HELP NEEDED: (YOUR VIN)

Not sure I understand the need for "real" VINs to test the VIN decoder. I'm not a programmer, but I believe the decoder will only need to look at numbers or letters in specific locations to determine the options associated with that number or letter. The check digit is comprised of a formula that is easily duplicated by scripting. The formula should tell you if the check digit is correct or not.

You can also get plenty of VINs for 1981-2013 on eBay or dealer websites.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

Originally Posted by camarosource
Hello

In preparation on Implementing a VIN Decoding and History Report feature to the new website, I am needing a list of REAL VIN numbers. Not just VALID VIN's but those who are registered with real cars.

As a result I am to experiment with perhaps a dozen or so REAL (those where the cars actually exist and not just an Valid "possible" VIN). These need to be the 17Digit 1981-2013+ CAMARO VIN's.

I'd appreciate if some of you can PRIVATE MSG me your VIN number. I'm sure many here will recognize me; i've been an active Member of the Camaro Community for over 12 years)

I basically will be using these Registered VIN's for two purposes:

1. Validate the accuracy of the VIN Decoder
2. Validate the availability of History Information records (but have no access to actually obtain these records)

Please remember I can only use CAMARO vins 17 digits (1981-2013+).

Please let me know the YEAR as well to validate the year for the VIN decoder.

Thanks again very much in advance :-)
You may be legit , But I would not give some stranger my VIN.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 AM

Actually the "REAL" vin is not for the decoder itself as you can have just any "valid" VIN. The REAL vins are needed for testing the History Reporting tool.

As mentioned before, I cannot see any information with the history reports, only a Brief QUANTITY of what's available.

In regards to T/APerformance: A VIN is nothing special or private. It's in the complete openness of anyone standing next to your car ;-)
Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

As I said I would not give you or anyone stranger my VIN, It is special if you do not understand exactly what it is and what someone can do with those # then you need an education , You coming on here and asking the members to give you our VIN is wrong, And NO ONE should give you there VIN no matter what you say it is for, If you want VIN go to the salvage yard and find what you need there for your so called testing.
So if anyone is thinking about giving this person there VIN I would suggest you do not, Someone could take those #and get a title for you car, they can find where it is threw the title and could end up with your car, Yes it can be done. SO do not give out your VIN to this person or anyone.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 PM

T/APerformance: As I said before. I am finding it quite offensive that you are making me out like I am here to FRAUD or steal peoples identities or titles. I have been on here for 11 years and am VERY well known in the Camaro Community.

The way you explained it

You coming on here and asking the members to give you our VIN is wrong, And NO ONE should give you there VIN no matter what you say it is for, If you want VIN go to the salvage yard and find what you need there for your so called testing.
is pretty much accusing me of trying to use this for FRAUD. It's not like I am asking people for their CREDIT CARD NUMBERS.. SORRY but I am really taking this to offense.

LIke I said before.. ANYONE.. YES ANYONE can grab your VIN standing right next to your car. So T/A if you are so worried about people stealing your VIN, did you remove your VIN plate? Watch your car 24/7?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

T/Aperformance,
I will mention that he did not specifically ask you for your VIN, and being that we live in the US, you have every right to plead the 5th. Therefore you are not required to, your membership is not contingent upon, and you have nothing to worry about if you do not supply your VIN.

I suspect that he is attempting to create a program that would validate the VIN as being a real car. Calculating the Check digit is only as helpful as the rest of the information supplied. You can create apparent Real VINs all day long, verifying whether or not they are attached to a real car is another thing.

These would all be correct VINs
1G2FS2189KL278521
1G2FS21F0KL278521
1G2FS21E1KL278521
1G2FS21S4KL278521
1G2FW2183KL278521
1G2FW21F5KL278521
1G2FW21E6KL278521
1G5FW2170KL278521

But none of them would come back with any data...

Actually I agree with Scott, you can get VINs all day long from ebay.com & autotrader.com there are plenty and they are out there for you to test.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Let's save the argument and just delete this topic all together. T/Aperformance is trying to take this to an all new level basically making it out like I am trying to fraud and steal owners information.

People on here likely recognize me as a long time Camaro owner, Member, very well known and trusted Website owner, and generally have never had asked for, nor done anything of the sort in which T/Aperformance is trying to portray.

So let's drop this all together.

For the record, I did actually indicate what I was looking for.

As a result I am to experiment with perhaps a dozen or so REAL (those where the cars actually exist and not just an Valid "possible" VIN).
In otherwords, not just regular VALID (ie. check digit matches) but authentic registered Camaro's. And as indicated this was to test out the History Reporting on the decoder (which again does not send me any actual CONTENT other than a number of what type of reports is available).

I've received over 50 Authentic VIN's (T/Aperformance) has been the *ONLY* person to try and make a federal case (almost literally) out of this.

So I thank you for your time but I request this topic be dropped.

Thank you