History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Finally figured out what I'm looking for...have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 12:36 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
Finally figured out what I'm looking for...have a couple questions

After debating for quite some time now what kind of third gen I wanted to get upon graduation from college, I have finally narrowed it down to two. Now that I have decided to go on to grad school, looks like it will be another 2 year still There are a couple questions I have about the cars I am keeping an eye out for...

1) '89 IROC 350, t-tops, as many options as I can find
2) '92 25th anniversary RS convertible, red/black or white/red

First, I absolutely despise the red interiors that came with so many third gens (nothing against those who have them!!). Has anyone seen (or know if it was available) a 25th RS with a grey/white or black/grey Custom Interior?? I would love a red/black 25th with the black/grey custom interior, but I have never seen one...all have that red or red/white weave upholstery...

Second, the reason why I want a 25th RS vert and not a 25th Z vert is because as well all know, a '92 Z vert is a very rare thing, assumedly much more so in 25th trim. Is a 25th RS vert a more "common" car? I know there are no official numbers on how many were made, but can anyone venture a guess as to how many '92 RS verts may have had the Heritage package?

Third, as for the IROC...the reason I want an '89 and not a '90 is because I have never much cared for the '90-'92 style dash, and because as far as I have been able to tell, there were no '90 IROC 350s with t-tops. Is this true?? I know this has been debated on and off for some time...has anyone ever figured it out?

And finally, as of right now, are low mileage '90 IROCs holding more value than '89s? Is it worth it to maybe get over my issues I have with the '90s and get a '90 because its "the last IROC" and may have significantly more value down the road.

Thanks to anyone for their thoughts or opinions. I know neither of these cars right now are "collector cars," but whatever I end up buying is a car that like my '97, I will be keeping permanently. I wanna make the right choice!
Old 12-19-2001, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
To see if the interior color you want was even an option buy a 92 Camaro sales brochure. It'll list all the options and their availability.

As for Z vs RS, in the convertible it really doesn't matter. Physically anyway... one has bulges on the hood, the other doesnt. If you want TPI, a Z is in your future, but really who needs added hp in a convertible? Mine has been over 55mph twice in the time I've owned it. As for whats common and whats not, it really varies. I used to be able to find 3-7 thirdgens for sale at any given time, now 1 or 2 will pop up here or there and are sold in a day or two at high prices. When I went to seal the deal on the Formula there were 3 other people waiting to buy it if I didn't. It really depends on the environment and the conditions the day you go shopping. If you're looking on the internet you should be able to find anything in a matter of hours, it may not be near by or cheap, but you could find it.

As for the 89 vs 90 question... Drive a 90-92 for awhile, the dash really grows on you. Its a better design altogether. The yellow lettering is a little odd, but o'well. Each has their benifits, but if I had to choose I'd take the Speed Density every time over MAF. Although personally I wouldn't restrict myself to the Iroc, the 91-92 Z28's have their own benefits and are easier to come by then a 90.

Right now these cars are starting to get more hard to find, most car dealers don't keep them on the lots because they're more than 10 years old and are hard to get financed. So in a sense they're collector cars. 90 was a 1/2 production year, so the numbers are lower. As to whether it'll command a higher price cause its a last year model, it depends on the seller. If he puts importance on that fact he's going to demand a higher price.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
Drew - Where can I get a 1991 Camaro/Z-28 or 1992 Camaro/Z-28 sales brochure??????? I've been looking for one of each for awhile! Anyone got one for sale?
Old 12-19-2001, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 1bad91Z
Drew - Where can I get a 1991 Camaro/Z-28 or 1992 Camaro/Z-28 sales brochure??????? I've been looking for one of each for awhile! Anyone got one for sale?

Ebay.com has them all the time.

Jay
Old 12-19-2001, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both good choices, and they both have their place. Convert for cruzin, IROC for *****-out fun. How about getting the best of both worlds? When you graduate and have lots of $$$, buy one of each!
Old 12-19-2001, 03:44 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Blue502,

I wish...I think 2 Camaros will be sufficient for some time!! My girlfriend (maybe wife by that time???) doesn't mind my "car freakishness," but if I had the 30th AND two third gens, she might begin to get a little annoyed. Plus, I need storage...I hope to get a condo with a 2 car garage soon after graudation, then bring my new baby (third gen, not kid!!) home...

Drew,

Unfortunately, AFAIK the 92 brochure doesn't tell which color interiors come with the 25th package. Therefore, I assume that any color interior was available with Heritage? So then the problem becomes, how many dealers actually ordered the cars without the red interior when you got the red/black or white/red paint scheme?? Only time will tell...I also agree with you on the '89 vs '90 idea...I guess it does depend on the seller. I was just wondering how many '90 sellers are price gouging right now for the last IROCs...a guy at work has a 12k mile '87 442 for sale, and he is totally playing up the "Last 442" angle...

As for the Z vs RS philosophy, I agree with you...in a convertible, what's the rush? I recently took in on trade a '91 305 TBI/auto 'Bird, and I found the 305 TBI is plenty fine for me...I have just discovered that the older I get (a ripe old 21 ), the more I like the idea of a vert, especially seeing as how this car will get only 4-5k fun miles on it a year, like the 30th.

Karfreek,

www.pjsautolit.com has all these brochures and more...I picked up from them '79-'92 brochures back awhile ago for $2/each on special!!! Ebay is also a great source too...I have been able to piece together a collection of mint '79-'02 Camaro brochures with the help of eBay. Keep in mind the '90 and '92 brochures both are Chevy full lines...no separate Camaro ones were offered in those years...

Thanks for the responses so far...any other thoughts???
Old 12-19-2001, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
It should tell you what colors were available with which color exterior... the Z03 was just vinyl stripes and a plaque tacked on the decklid. Couldn't tell you about convertibles, but there is at least one 92 Z28 heritage car thats red with black stripes... Shell on nethirdgen.org owns the above car. Gray is by far the most common color for thirdgen interiors, Red unfortunately is up there too... As bad as the red interior is, when they're in perfect shape they do look good. Red and Tan seem to fade and get dirty really fast, the gray isn't as bad but the carpet turns yellow when it gets worn... I haven't found any problems with black except the seatbelts all fade.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:19 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Drew,

I looked in my '92 catalog after I posted, and I indeed did find the interior colors for Heritage cars...it was funny, the heading for the chart says something like "Z28 Heritage Color Options," as if there were no RS's with Heritage...

Anyways, ALL interior colors were apparently available with Z03, even beige! I know grey was the most popular (or so it seems) interior for many years of third gens...just haven't found a red/black or white/red Heritage car with grey yet. I have the grey/white Custom Interior in my RS, and I love it...I do however prefer the black/grey custom interior though!! You're right, red does look ok clean, but horrid black...

I will miss not having a third gen for a daily driver...the RS has been a blast. But I guess if I ain't gonna keep it, now's the time to sell it while the car is still in top shape. Besides that, I figure a 25th might go along nicely with the 30th

Then again, having TWO gaudy-a** Camaros might not be the smartest move, either