History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Need help for valuing a 1987 IROC T-top

Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help for valuing a 1987 IROC T-top

Hoping I can get some help from what seems to be a nice group of people on this forum. I like cars, but don't know too much about car mechanics or how to value a car like this.

This is a blue 1987 IROC T-top, which based on my research, has the base carbureted engine (has a 85mph speedometer and tach redlines at 5000 rpm). Seller is not the original owner, but said he rebuilt the car a few years ago and has driven 20k miles on the rebuilt engine since then. Replaced all 4 rims/tires recently but still has the originals.

I forgot to ask about the paint and interior, but it appear to be in great condition so I'm assuming this was all redone as well. I have attached a pic of the car.

The car is listed at $8,700, which seems to be a reasonable price based on listings I've seen for comparable cars. Obviously I would try to bring the price down a little, but assuming everything runs fine like the seller says, would you guys say this is a good price/value?

I'll be going to check out the car in a few days. Is it worth it to hire a mechanic to go with me to take a look? Or is it generally safe to assume that if an older car like this runs fine on first startup it should generally be in good shape? (again, I don't know much about car mechanics, carbureted vs fuel injected, etc)
Attached Thumbnails Need help for valuing a 1987 IROC T-top-00t0t_2qnmr9scixz_1200x900.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Car: 87 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: G92
Re: Need help for valuing a 1987 IROC T-top

I am not the most knowledgeable here by far.... but I do not believe any 85mph speedos were used in any Irocs. The wheels shown on that car are def not Iroc wheels (rs or z28).

I would look on the RPO code tag in the console and look for the following:

"1987 IROCs used two different RPO codes--"Z28", and "B4Z". Plain Z28s will have just "Z28" in the RPO codes. IROCs will have both "Z28" and "B4Z", because "B4Z" is the RPO code for the IROC package, which was added on to the "Z28" package. For 1987, No "B4Z"=no IROC."

Unless the car is really fantastic I would say that price is a bit high for what looks like to me could be an Iroc clone.

Last edited by pwessels; 07-14-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by pwessels
I am not the most knowledgeable here by far.... but I do not believe any 85mph speedos were used in any Irocs. The wheels shown on that car are def not Iroc wheels (rs or z28).

"1987 IROCs used two different RPO codes--"Z28", and "B4Z". Plain Z28s will have just "Z28" in the RPO codes. IROCs will have both "Z28" and "B4Z", because "B4Z" is the RPO code for the IROC package, which was added on to the "Z28" package. For 1987, No "B4Z"=no IROC."

Unless the car is really fantastic I would say that price is a bit high for what looks like to me could be an Iroc clone.
Thanks for the reply!

The wheels definitely are not original, but the original wheels are included in the sale. I have attached a pic. (I'm limiting the pics I post to maintain some privacy for both myself and seller)

I'll definitely take note of the RPO code when I go to see the car, but I got my info on the speedometer and tach from this site
http://www.iroczone.com/2009/10/iroc...ters-guide/#87
"The 85MPH speedometer was the equipment used on the 305 CID (5.0L) "Quadrajet" carbureted engine (LG4) equipped IROC-Z, regardless of transmission."

"The 5000 RPM redline tachometer was used on all 305 CID (5.0L) "Quadrajet" carbureted engine (LG4) equipped IROC-Zs, regardless of transmission. "

But I have absolutely no expertise in this area and that site could very well be wrong, which is why I have asked the question here. This is just the car I have always wanted since I was a kid growing up in the 80's Hopefully others will chime in.
Attached Thumbnails Need help for valuing a 1987 IROC T-top-00r0r_eih4mqqhhwe_600x450.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 01:38 PM

Hmm..not seeing the reply I posted a few mins ago, so apologies if this ends up as a double post.

Wheels were replaced by the seller but originals will be included in the sale. Attached is a pic of the original wheels.

I got my info on speedometer/tach from:
http://www.iroczone.com/2009/10/iroc...ters-guide/#87

Definitely will look for the RPO code when I go to see the car though. I remember reading about RPO codes but completely forgot about this, so thanks for the reminder.

Again, I don't know much about these cars except that it's the car I wanted since I was a kid growing up in the 80's. I think I would be ok paying this amount if it's confirmed to be a true IROC and not a clone, but hoping others will chime in.

Thanks for the reply!
Attached Thumbnails Need help for valuing a 1987 IROC T-top-00r0r_eih4mqqhhwe_600x450.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

how many miles are on it ? that seems very high for a car like that ..
Old 07-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Supreme Member

it is funny that the seller states in his add that its not a 5.7 because irocs with t-tops didnt come with 5.7's because the frames would twist .. complete bs .. theres several 5.7's with t-tops in the city he is listing his car ..
Old 07-15-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ray jr
it is funny that the seller states in his add that its not a 5.7 because irocs with t-tops didnt come with 5.7's because the frames would twist .. complete bs .. theres several 5.7's with t-tops in the city he is listing his car ..
Your right that is bs. I have a 1987 T-top with a 5.7 and have seen others. My car hasn't started crabing down the road yet and I've put it through some hard driving. Also, no leaks yet in the T-tops.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

You can still find better optioned/condition cars for less.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 AM

Heh...you found the ad. Yeah, I didn't think it made sense about the t-tops not having 5.7s, but engine size isn't the biggest factor for me so I basically ignored that comment.

My plan was to go check it out first this weekend, then do a little more research before making a decision. I've been searching on and off for a few years and this was the first mid-80s blue t-top (I won't look at any other) that was remotely close to my location. If you know the types that grew up in this neighborhood (and my old neighborhood) you'll know that they really love their cars, especially these old Camaros and Trans Ams, so I'm sure it's in pretty decent shape.

I'll grab the VIN and RPO while I'm there. As long as I can verify that it is indeed an IROC and runs fine I can just make an offer that would be more reflective of it's true value (hopefully with some more help from you guys). I'm also willing to pay a small premium just for being a blue t-top that's in driveable condition and requires minimal maintenance off the bat.

Thanks to all for the replies so far! I'll post an update after I see the car in person.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 720 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Nice looking car from what I see. It does have an Lg4 which isn't the most desirable but in my opinion is an easy platform to upgrade or just swap out for a 350.Whether its a clone or not its still nice but not $8700 nice. Like PMD said you can find better cars for this $ and less. Id say this is more of a 5k car $5500 at most and would be comfortable paying that for it if its in great mechanical condition and clean on the inside with no signs of the tops leaking.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:37 PM

Saw the car today, and happy to report that the car is as good as I hoped. I hired a mechanic who specializes in classic cars to take a look, and he said there is normal wear in some places but everything looks good, especially the bottom.

The seller didn't seem to know much about RPO codes when I mentioned I wanted to take a look in the center console. He thought the console might have even been swapped out at some point during restoration/rebuild, but when I opened it up the sticker was still there and had B4Z on it.

Confirmed that the engine is an LG4, but what the seller didn't mention in his listing is that he has a 5.7L 350 TPI engine that he'll include with the sale (along with the original tires).

The mechanic I hired thought around $6k would be his price point when he first saw the listing, but given 1) the overall condition of the car, 2) the extra wheels and engine, 3) the fact that there tends to be a bit of a premium in our area for older/classic cars, and 4) my personal value in finding a blue car with t-tops, he would consider $7k+ still a fair price.

Just one other question for you guys - what would you value the 350 TPI? A range might be helpful, with the low end being an engine that may need to be rebuilt and high end being one that is in "good" condition (minimal work/maintenance required)? Couldn't find many listings to try to gauge the value myself.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by hubbalicious
Just one other question for you guys - what would you value the 350 TPI? A range might be helpful, with the low end being an engine that may need to be rebuilt and high end being one that is in "good" condition (minimal work/maintenance required)? Couldn't find many listings to try to gauge the value myself.
I would say that will vary quite a bit by region (local demand) and how complete it is - TPI to oil pan I would say $500-$1000?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Saw the car today, and happy to report that the car is as good as I hoped. I hired a mechanic who specializes in classic cars to take a look, and he said there is normal wear in some places but everything looks good, especially the bottom.

The seller didn't seem to know much about RPO codes when I mentioned I wanted to take a look in the center console. He thought the console might have even been swapped out at some point during restoration/rebuild, but when I opened it up the sticker was still there and had B4Z on it.

Confirmed that the engine is an LG4, but what the seller didn't mention in his listing is that he has a 5.7L 350 TPI engine that he'll include with the sale (along with the original tires).

The mechanic I hired thought around $6k would be his price point when he first saw the listing, but given 1) the overall condition of the car, 2) the extra wheels and engine, 3) the fact that there tends to be a bit of a premium in our area for older/classic cars, and 4) my personal value in finding a blue car with t-tops, he would consider $7k+ still a fair price.

how many miles are on it ?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:18 PM

I would say that will vary quite a bit by region (local demand) and how complete it is - TPI to oil pan I would say $500-$1000?
I'll be honest, like I said before I don't know much about the mechanics of cars, so I don't know what you mean when you say TPI to oil pan but I'm assuming that means a complete engine that needs no/minimal other parts? I probably wouldn't take the 350 because of my lack of knowledge. While I would love to take this on as a project, unfortunately it will be many years before I can take the time to learn and figure everything out. And not in my budget to hire someone to do it for me. I'm really just trying to figure out how much I should reduce my offer for not taking the engine. (Or how much I can flip it for)

how many miles are on it ?
Good question. I'll call the seller tomorrow to see if he knows.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:32 PM

Really at the end of the day it is what you think it is worth.... if you are buying it to keep and not to resell... so long as you are ok with the price that is all that matters. Sounds like you are really serious about the car and wanting pretty much exactly what it is. It is nice to see someone just really want a 3rd gen Camaro so much who knows so little about them (at this point anyway). So long as it is not a rusty POS pretty much anything can be fixed. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM

Really at the end of the day it is what you think it is worth.... if you are buying it to keep and not to resell... so long as you are ok with the price that is all that matters. Sounds like you are really serious about the car and wanting pretty much exactly what it is. It is nice to see someone just really want a 3rd gen Camaro so much who knows so little about them (at this point anyway). So long as it is not a rusty POS pretty much anything can be fixed. Good luck with the purchase.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I know it's hard to place a value on a purchase like this but I do have a price in mind now. I am definitely willing to pay a premium for what is my childhood dream car, and what hopefully will give my kids an appreciation for "real" cars. I may not know how to fix and value cars, but I do know how to admire and appreciate them

I guess the only thing left for me to do at this point is run a carfax and work out a # with the seller.

Thanks to all again for the helpful replies. You guys are great!
Old 07-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: Automatic Transmission

keep us posted on the results. I'm curious to see how far he will come down. anything over 5k is overpaying imo but if u plan on keeping the car for a long time a couple G over value is not a big deal as long as your comfortable with it.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc 5.7 1969 Camaro 2010 SS

I know the seller and the car is an Iroc.
It's a clean car.

What it's worth is up to you. In our area clean cars are getting harder to come by.

Last edited by mucker15; 07-18-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Really? On Long Island they are hard to come by?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM

Yes clean thirdgens are getting harder to find around here. Especially reasonably priced ones. I look everyday lots of garbage out there. Looked at cars that looked great in pictures but were total garbage when I saw them in person.
Took me a long time to find mine.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mucker15
Yes clean thirdgens are getting harder to find around here. Especially reasonably priced ones. I look everyday lots of garbage out there. Looked at cars that looked great in pictures but were total garbage when I saw them in person.
Took me a long time to find mine.
ive been looking at a iroc on your craiglist for a couple weeks now and thinking about making the guy a offer
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Completely forgot to give you guys an update. I didn't want to go back and forth and gave him an absolute number, told him I didn't want the spare engine. He came back a few hundred higher, with or without the engine. Engine was probably worth the extra $ he was asking, but it would just take more time and money for me to deal with it, even if I were to sell it to someone else. So made a difficult decision to walk.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback. Hopefully I'll find my car soon.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Completely forgot to give you guys an update. I didn't want to go back and forth and gave him an absolute number, told him I didn't want the spare engine. He came back a few hundred higher, with or without the engine. Engine was probably worth the extra $ he was asking, but it would just take more time and money for me to deal with it, even if I were to sell it to someone else. So made a difficult decision to walk.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback. Hopefully I'll find my car soon.
good choice to walk in my opinion .. there are better cars out there for the money or just a little bit more and you will have your dream car .. if i come across anything i will put it in this post ..
Old 08-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

here's one for you and its in new york

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ca...m=152197251304
Old 11-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Overdrive Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1 Positraction

Here's a better one for less money.

Might not be for you but I think it's a better deal simply because you get more bang for your buck.

And I always go for the best I can get or find at the time, this '91 Z28 5.0 TPI with the 5-speed here fits the bill.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5820398960.html

I've personally had 2 all original Arctic White 1991 Hardtop Z28s with grey cloth interior identical to this one "Except Both were L98 5.7/350 TPI Cars" Escape me in the last 7 years here in L.A.

I didn't have enough money at the time. Somebody else did.

Last edited by Phenom-1; 11-24-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:54 PM

That white ones been on cl for quite a while. Looks rough for the $$
Found my car a few blocks away from home actually
Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

That white one is a mess. I delivered my 68k mile 90 5spd G92 Formula out to Huntington LI on Monday for less than ask on either of those cars. New owner was very happy, old one was as well.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
That white one is a mess. I delivered my 68k mile 90 5spd G92 Formula out to Huntington LI on Monday for less than ask on either of those cars. New owner was very happy, old one was as well.
congrats on the sale brother
Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but figure I owe all you nice folks an update.

Brought this car home yesterday morning. Turns out there had been a misunderstanding/miscommunication during my talks with the seller last year. We worked it out after I picked up my search again recently and saw he still had the car for sale.

Despite all the advice everyone gave on what this car might be worth, I was willing to pay a small premium and it's worth every penny to me. I dusted off the fuzzy dice I bought 30 years ago that I planned to hang on the IROC I would own one day (missing a few dots now), and proudly hung it on the rearview as soon as I got it home (to my wife's dismay lol).

Thank you all again.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Awesome, I've enjoyed this thread
Old 03-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

i seen he tried to sell it on ebay a few times and dropped his price to 7100.00 on craigslist with no luck on either .. hope its a nice car and you enjoy it , congrats on the buy ..
Old 03-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Congratulations! I'm glad you ended up with a car you are happy with.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Sorry to bump an old thread, but figure I owe all you nice folks an update.

Brought this car home yesterday morning. Turns out there had been a misunderstanding/miscommunication during my talks with the seller last year. We worked it out after I picked up my search again recently and saw he still had the car for sale.

Despite all the advice everyone gave on what this car might be worth, I was willing to pay a small premium and it's worth every penny to me. I dusted off the fuzzy dice I bought 30 years ago that I planned to hang on the IROC I would own one day (missing a few dots now), and proudly hung it on the rearview as soon as I got it home (to my wife's dismay lol).

Thank you all again.

Congrats on getting the car you wanted! I too probably paid a few bucks more for mine but it was in much better shape than the others I looked at and a year and a half later it turned out to be more than worth the little more I paid

Good luck with the Z!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

BTW I grew up in west hempstead.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

We don't pay too much, we just buy them too early.

Enjoy the car and all the memories you will have with it!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77 Posi

Glad you and the seller were able to come to an agreement and you got the Iroc you wanted. Congratulations!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:13 AM

So I have one more question for you guys. What's the best place for a noob's guide to maintaining these cars? I checked the tech board but didn't see anything that gives general start-to-finish, day-to-day maintenance. I know the very basics of car maintenance (changing oil, filters, plugs, etc) and how to winterize the car, but would like to learn more about what I should check and replace regularly, and just overall learn more. I'm pretty handy and good at figuring things out...just need a place to get started.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28

Nice looking car, congratulations.