Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Seatbelt Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: Seatbelt Recall

Originally Posted by TheIgnitious
After being disrespected by customer service, I quickly went to GM Corporate about this issue. I specifically told the woman that she would have to get her head out of technology and look in the books, cause I highly doubt she will find it online from 31 yrs ago. She held a 2 day investigation and closed it saying she couldn't find it. Those few of you who are actually getting this done... How?!
I worked at Sears a couple years ago and it was actually in our "Aldata" database of recalls and repair data so I don't know why GM corporate couldn't find it.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by TheIgnitious
After being disrespected by customer service, I quickly went to GM Corporate about this issue. I specifically told the woman that she would have to get her head out of technology and look in the books, cause I highly doubt she will find it online from 31 yrs ago. She held a 2 day investigation and closed it saying she couldn't find it. Those few of you who are actually getting this done... How?!
I had the actual letter sent years ago to the previous owner who never acted on the recall. I will try to see if I still have the letter. if I do I will post a scan of it on here! This ticks me off. it is a safety recall and it valid forever!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82' Z28 Crossfire
Engine: 305
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by IMissMy86TA
I had the actual letter sent years ago to the previous owner who never acted on the recall. I will try to see if I still have the letter. if I do I will post a scan of it on here! This ticks me off. it is a safety recall and it valid forever!
Man that would be awesome! Was the letter year specific though? Cause I know only the buckles had problems in 82.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28 & 1997 Z28 SS SLP
Engine: Sbc 305 TPI & LT1
Transmission: 700r4 and A4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Posi 323 & Posi 323

My driver seat belt stopped working this past year & I searched this site finding info on the recall. went to local Chevy dealer who was no help, called the corporate # re: recalls & went through all the hoops/extensions, even had recall #, but was denied. Any ways, went to junk yard & found replacement. I think Hawks sells a repair kit as well, but so far so good w/junk yard replacement, For a while, I used the female end from back seat, but it was a pain cuz it was shorter, Also tried slinging over to passenger side, but not good either. Best wishes
Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

They aren't required to fix it anymore:

Check the following link, which includes the info below.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...allprocess.cfm

re there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

"Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

"Also, if the manufacturer challenges the agency’s final decision of a safety defect, there is no obligation for the manufacturer to remedy the defect while the case is in court. If you decide to have your vehicle remedied at your own expense while the case is pending and the court upholds NHTSA’s final decision, you may be entitled to reimbursement. (Be sure to save all receipts and paperwork so that you can prove the repairs were made.) However, if the court ultimately rules the defect is not safety related, Federal law does not require that the manufacturer reimburse you for the repair work."

JamesC

Last edited by sonjaab; 11-15-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28 & 1997 Z28 SS SLP
Engine: Sbc 305 TPI & LT1
Transmission: 700r4 and A4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Posi 323 & Posi 323

good info, thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

Need to keep in mind this was a safety recall, no time limitation on these. But we're dealing with the new GM now, so the bankruptcy probably cancelled all obligations of the old company.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM
On Probation

Lake:
I had the SAME issue!

Dealer and GM gave me the blowoff with recall number and info.
The few lucky members here that got the fix either knew somebody or had a clueless dealer (who prob. got backcharged for the repair) and found success.

I just went to the local parts yard and got a set of female reciever and sleeves out of a late 70s Olds Cutlass.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 AM
On Probation

Originally Posted by tom3
Need to keep in mind this was a safety recall, no time limitation on these. But we're dealing with the new GM now, so the bankruptcy probably cancelled all obligations of the old company.
TOM........Thats INCORRECT!

I went down/called for the "recall" repair BEFORE the GM BK and got the blowoff

ALSO: READ the above gov't rule post..............

Here..I will post it AGAIN so u can read it:

re there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

"Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

"Also, if the manufacturer challenges the agency’s final decision of a safety defect, there is no obligation for the manufacturer to remedy the defect while the case is in court. If you decide to have your vehicle remedied at your own expense while the case is pending and the court upholds NHTSA’s final decision, you may be entitled to reimbursement. (Be sure to save all receipts and paperwork so that you can prove the repairs were made.) However, if the court ultimately rules the defect is not safety related, Federal law does not require that the manufacturer reimburse you for the repair work."

NOTE: SAME deal with the gas tank recall too!

Last edited by sonjaab; 11-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sonjaab
TOM........Thats INCORRECT!

I went down/called for the "recall" repair BEFORE the GM BK and got the blowoff

ALSO: READ the above gov't rule post..............

Here..I will post it AGAIN so u can read it:

NOTE: SAME deal with the gas tank recall too!
Page Not Found

Sorry, the page you requested could not be found.
It may have moved to a new location. Please click on the tabs above to help find it or go to http://www.safercar.gov
Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

All their required to do,"if their required at all"is to change these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-CHEVY-CAMARO-SEAT-BELT-BUTTON-REPAIR-KIT-OEM-GM-/220854461892?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336bf3a5c4&vxp=mtrI know in NJ,their is no expiration date on a Safety Recall.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Car: 82' Z28 Crossfire
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42

See I don't where this 10 year old rule came from. As far as everything I've heard safety recalls never expire.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mantaguy
All their required to do,"if their required at all"is to change these, Pontiac Firebird Chevy Camaro Seat Belt Button Repair Kit GM | eBay
I know in NJ,their is no expiration date on a Safety Recall.
Agreed. no limitation on safety recalls according to dealer..
also this part was only like 3-4$ ordered through dealer. I bought it and they installed it free due to recall letter.. hope I didnt give it to them
Old 11-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by IMissMy86TA
Page Not Found

Sorry, the page you requested could not be found.
It may have moved to a new location. Please click on the tabs above to help find it or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Here's what I found when I entered my 89

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...Results.action

Hmm the link doesn't seem to be working.
Just go to http://www.safercar.gov/ and click on the recall search button then enter your car year, make, and model to see recalls on your car. There seems to be about 6 outstanding for my car. I didn't go any further to see if they are still valid or not.

Last edited by Richboll; 11-15-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

After reading this I got looked on Ebay, bought a set of buttons and springs in the kit for $11 with free shipping. Mine still work but look like crap, matter of time probably. Fairly simple to replace, sort of like unlatching and pulling out a stereo with the little release tool. Not worth the hassle of dealing with the service department, I hate those places anyway.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

I ordered a set through one company and they sent me a tool to remove the old buckle button.. Haven't done it yet tho

Also to answer a question, there was the literature here on the website at one time for the recall... Print that out and take it in.

The only thing I do not like is Dealerships, they do not give a crap about your car especially if it is at all nice, it is a car, no one touches my car unless I cannot do it, IE Tires and creating exhaust pieces are a bit my abilities.

John
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by okfoz
I ordered a set through one company and they sent me a tool to remove the old buckle button.. Haven't done it yet tho

Also to answer a question, there was the literature here on the website at one time for the recall... Print that out and take it in.

The only thing I do not like is Dealerships, they do not give a crap about your car especially if it is at all nice, it is a car, no one touches my car unless I cannot do it, IE Tires and creating exhaust pieces are a bit my abilities.
John
I am similar. I wont let them touch it unless I can watch them. They normally treat my car with respect. It gets a lot of attention.. the owner of the dealership came out to watch it get worked on... It was an ex pontiac dealership I took time off work to watch so yeah.. to say I am a Type A with the car would be an understatement
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 90-95 ZZ4 Crate 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 4spd Automatic

Can you send me the link to the recall? I am definitely interested.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by SRKLEGIN
Can you send me the link to the recall? I am definitely interested.
well, if you do go, be ready for lies ,deceit, and a general run around. I printed the info and took it with me to the dealership. and they flat out denied it ever was issued. in the end ,I just found the front seat buckles in pull a part. solved my issues.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 305 for now working on 400 sbc
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock for now

scroll down thru the post and you'll see the recall link
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Don't loose a days work or something for free over these http://www.moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/196/688,this is all they change.

Last edited by mantaguy; 09-02-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Don't loose a days work or something for free over these http://www.moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/196/688,this is all they change.

if you are referring to my post that was referencing just work being done at a dealerships (okfoz) in the previous post. I did not take off time for this one change...
Old 09-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Nope,just generally speaking.no reference to anyone.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:43 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird
Transmission: auto

I just picked up a 1989 Firebird Formula last weekend for my son's first ride when he turns 16 next year. Of course I am going through the car to "fix" and "repair" to make it a safe and dependable ride. My first step is to get the sealt belts working correctly. I did track down an already repaired drivers side front and did a swap, as the buckle was all broken up. I also purchased one of the repair kits. Unfortunately, i figured the tool and instructions would come with it, as many others have posted, but it did not. I was looking to see if anyone could copy the instuctions and send them to me or post them. My hope is i can repair the remaing three belts without the tool.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27

ceccacci316
Howell, MI, not too far from me, My doghouse is just south of the Birch Run area...

If I get a chance I will make you a copy... it was pretty easy, I did 3 cars (12 belts) in less than an hour and a half... The first belt took me the longest, then once I figured it out it was pretty easy...

The hardest part is getting the spring back in if it comes out... But that again once you figure it out it ended up not being a big deal...

John
Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Not much to it seems like, Hawk's video on youtube:

Is it really this easy?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM

John,

Yes, Birch Run, is close .... and we both have the outlet malls in common

Thanks I would really appreciate it if you could get me a copy of the instructions. I just want to ensure I do it right so i dont destroy the buckles. Did you need the "tool" that some have mentioned to do the repair? Or can it be done with standard tools?

Nick
Old 11-21-2014, 10:54 AM

tom3, hmmm, it looked easy except for the struggle with the spring ... i read somewhere that someone said to keep the buckle plugged in would make it easier to insert the spring, i wonder if that is in the instructions.

Nick
Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tom3
Not much to it seems like, Hawk's video on youtube:

82-92 Camaro/Firebird Seat Belt Push Button Kit Installation Video - YouTube

Is it really this easy?
Are you kidding!!!that's all it is
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 AM

That was about it... It was not a big deal... I did mine in the car, and the spring was the biggest hassle...

Maybe it only took me 1/2 hour to do all three cars, I know it was not long... I was doing all sorts of small stuff that day... I used the little sheet metal tool was supplied too with my kit, which I forget what I used it for, it might have been to put it back together... Some people do not use the metal clip on the edge like in the video, I did however...

John
Old 11-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

I think that clip was used so the Dealer would know if they were replaced in the recall.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:33 PM

I think that clip was used so the Dealer would know if they were replaced in the recall.
That could be a possibility, or it might be to correct for wear on the receiver...

I was able to remove about half of my buttons without breaking them, the other half I broke when I popped them apart...

John
Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator857
The dot has the recall listed on there site, mine has never had it done either, you can tell bc there is a little metal clip beside the button if has been done.

Here are the recall numbers for the seatbelts

Seat Belts: 172,863 1982 - Belt anchorages weak (82V-089);
738,485 1983-85 - Shoulder belt doesn't retract (85V-169);
34 1989 Camaro - Webbing on buckle too long (88V-191); 1,500,000 1984-90 - Sunlight weakens plastic buckle components (90V-105);
40,696 1991 - Metal latch plate won't engage buckle (91V-067);
1,573 1997 - Retractor locks on slopes (96V-219).

Ill see if I can find the site I am talking about.
Man, I have the same problems...really would love the part numbers...problem is, dealers don't supply replacement parts for cars that are over 10-years old...at least that what I got from young Chevrolet. here in Utah. Now the question is: since the recalls are spanned across several years, I wonder if there are businesses around that can repair the retractors, re-web. Thoughts???
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SRKLEGIN
Man, I have the same problems...really would love the part numbers...problem is, dealers don't supply replacement parts for cars that are over 10-years old...at least that what I got from young Chevrolet. here in Utah. Now the question is: since the recalls are spanned across several years, I wonder if there are businesses around that can repair the retractors, re-web. Thoughts???

Please do man...I am interested...
Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM

I did the recall on my TTA back when it first came out like 20 years ago. Last year my front driver was not working and since the beechwood plastic was all beat and torn I just got the entire NOS set off ebay for a rediculous price. For the backs only the red button looks like crap. Can somebody please post the part number for the red button kit- they should have this through the dealership still I assume.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tony P
I did the recall on my TTA back when it first came out like 20 years ago. Last year my front driver was not working and since the beechwood plastic was all beat and torn I just got the entire NOS set off ebay for a rediculous price. For the backs only the red button looks like crap. Can somebody please post the part number for the red button kit- they should have this through the dealership still I assume.
This is a way to get others to do your work...
I went back a few pages and tada!

http://members.shaw.ca/crussel/recalls/90c22/90c22.html

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this campaign are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts operations (GMSPO). To ensure these parts will be obtained as soon as possible, they should be ordered from GMSPO on a "C.I.O." order with no special instruction code, but on an advise code (2).

PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION QUANTITY/VEHICLE
14097930 Push Button Kit
Each Kit Includes:
4 Push Buttons
4 Button springs
4 Protector Shields

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...ll-recall2.gif

I did that for you. you are welcome.
The following users liked this post:
IROCullan (06-11-2020)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 AM

THANKYOU, Sometimes on these threads I notice people get sidetracked and I skipped ahead and missed this page- my apologies Maybe some day I can return the favor. I have owned my car for 25 years so somewhere down the line I might have some useful info for you guys -cheers
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

I tried to get some thru my buddy who works at a Chevy dealer and found out that the pushbutton kit has been discontinued.You might still be able to order them online
Old 11-25-2015, 06:19 AM

I ordered a kit online yesterday and a few hours later they cancelled the order saying it was discontinued...great. I'll find it somewhere.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by my82roc
I tried to get some thru my buddy who works at a Chevy dealer and found out that the pushbutton kit has been discontinued.You might still be able to order them online
I can always count on GM to discontinue new safety parts! wow. How can they do this? anyone want to sue?
I will say that mine look great except for the silver part that shows on the inside of the buckle...see?

I had the original recall letter from the pontiac from the previous owner and brought it in and they ordered the part and installed it all for free. I was told that safety recalls never expire because its dealing with safety of the vehicle. There is a letter like mine scanned on this thread and I know they could check the record of my VIN and tell it was never done. I would think they should get the part for you and if they cant and you show a letter I would think legal action would be in order. I do believe I still have that recall letter from pontiac. here is one from this thread from Chevy

again safety recalls should never expire unless the company goes out of business (pontiac but not chevy..same part right?)
if so contact the national Highway safety administration at the number on the letter if you are not satisfied.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:34 AM

Hawks Might have them http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/
Modern Day Muscle used to have them, http://www.moderndaymuscle.com

beyond someone that has purchased an excess on accident, not sure where else you could find them. I know when I bought mine they were $4.00 for a set of 4...
Old 12-15-2015, 01:40 PM

Can you please explain the recall and what is replaced/repaired?

Thank you!

Michael
Old 12-15-2015, 03:56 PM

The red (probably now pink) button on your seat-belt receiver were prone to cracking and breaking. So you get a new spring, a new red button (actually 4 of them) you just have to pop out the button and the spring and pop the new one in. Getting the spring back in is the biggest pain, but it too is not too difficult once you figure it out.

Then once you get it back together there is a metal clip/guide that you slide on it too that is supposed to help keep the wear down on the plastic pieces. Some people forego the metal guide piece... (I would recommend using it) I have to say that.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:36 PM

I saw at least 2 youtube videos showing exactly how to do this. Last week I found some nice (still red) buttons on a car at the junk yard and installed them in my car. Looks good as new now.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Also IIRC, the 1992 buckles were a slight redesign. They still work with the 84-91 belts, but they got a new part number. I bought one for my 1989 as the plastic sleeve was broken on my and it was limp, but it seems to have worked.

I think the 84-91 did not have the UV Inhibitors in them or not enough of it to be useful, so they bleached out and they got brittle.

John
Old 03-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

My front passenger's seat buckle finally took a poo. After reading all the stuff above and on the NHTSB website, it is obvious that our cars do not qualify for a free repair any longer. I tried to find the kit (p/n 14097930) online as I remember seeing them all over the place years back. Well, they are not nearly as plentiful anymore. I called a few dealerships and there are only a few left that have any of those kits. I found one kit on fleabay, but it was asking $25 for the kit. They are only $4.85 at the dealerships that still have one.

I just wanted to pass this info on to anyone that might need a kit now, or might need one in the future. If you need one, get them now. The guy I talked to said there were seven left in the system. If you are on the West coast, you'll need to make some calls. He said there weren't any listed out here. They were all at dealerships on the East coast.
The following users liked this post:
sc0TTi (04-01-2021)