Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

gear selector letter replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Red 1988 Iroc-Z hard top
Engine: 305 ( LSX swap soon )
Transmission: 700r4 ( T-56 swap soon )
Axle/Gears: What ever gear that come in 88 iroc
gear selector letter replacement ?

Just bought this 88 iroc z and the gear selector letter is fade out, I have no problem with it, cause I can feel where the gear go, but my gf some time will be drive or some one will be drive, im affair they put on D instead of O/D like you support to. where can I find a replacement thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts
Re: gear selector letter replacement ?

That's more than likely a part that is not currently being produced. I can think of probably a dozen similar plastic items that I only want to replace because the print on it is worn off (lock switches, window switches, cassette deck, mirror switch, headlight switch, hazard light switch, etc.). Someone could make a killing if they came up with a way to restore these parts without replacing them.

For right now, about the only thing you can do is go to junkyards and look for shift indicator lenses in better condition. Not sure about Camaros as I never look at the consoles since they're totally different, but usually the ones I find in Firebirds are in pretty good shape if someone hasn't started yanking parts off it and breaking stuff already. Sounds like a previous owner just wore the crap out of yours.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto

I'm sure that somebody makes them. Here's a complete OD shifter indicator plate.

http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...&p=1&sb=2&r=15

You can also watch the classifieds on here and pick a good one up or you may want to try ebay and some of the classics places.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
That's more than likely a part that is not currently being produced. I can think of probably a dozen similar plastic items that I only want to replace because the print on it is worn off (lock switches, window switches, cassette deck, mirror switch, headlight switch, hazard light switch, etc.). Someone could make a killing if they came up with a way to restore these parts without replacing them.

For right now, about the only thing you can do is go to junkyards and look for shift indicator lenses in better condition. Not sure about Camaros as I never look at the consoles since they're totally different, but usually the ones I find in Firebirds are in pretty good shape if someone hasn't started yanking parts off it and breaking stuff already. Sounds like a previous owner just wore the crap out of yours.

yea its 25 year old car, i cant expect everything to be perfect
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Richboll
I'm sure that somebody makes them. Here's a complete OD shifter indicator plate.

http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...&p=1&sb=2&r=15

You can also watch the classifieds on here and pick a good one up or you may want to try ebay and some of the classics places.

Good luck!
holy **** that cost alot lol, that same price of the new b & m shifter
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

I have a few of those strips that show gear position.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Car: 89 Camaro RS (lawn ornament)
Engine: 327 sbc
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: Stock for now

I tried to make one out of clear plastic and little letters/numbers I got from Hobby Lobby, but it looked like crap. I ended up buying a whole shifter plate and ashtray assembly on ebay. Mine was crappy anyway. You can replace the orange square that makes the letters/numbers orange when you shift with a small square of colored reflector tape. It makes it alot brighter. I also used some reflective tape on my door lock levers. Now they look brand new. Just have to cut a nice square.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM

Car: 92 RS Heritage
Engine: 305

Originally Posted by bigtizzles
I tried to make one out of clear plastic and little letters/numbers I got from Hobby Lobby, but it looked like crap. I ended up buying a whole shifter plate and ashtray assembly on ebay. Mine was crappy anyway. You can replace the orange square that makes the letters/numbers orange when you shift with a small square of colored reflector tape. It makes it alot brighter. I also used some reflective tape on my door lock levers. Now they look brand new. Just have to cut a nice square.
An alternative: I used flourescent orange model paint that I bought at Hobby Lobby. It is a perfect match for the orange on the shifter as well as the speedo needle and other orange items in the instrument cluster of other cars. It was less than $4. a bottle.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS (lawn ornament)
Engine: 327 sbc
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: Stock for now

Originally Posted by Yenipenny
An alternative: I used flourescent orange model paint that I bought at Hobby Lobby. It is a perfect match for the orange on the shifter as well as the speedo needle and other orange items in the instrument cluster of other cars. It was less than $4. a bottle.
I heard there was a special illuminescent paint they sell for the guage needles that will glow nice with the dash lights. An aftermarket guage face company sold it. For the shifter thing, I just used reflective tape I found in my dads tool box. Looked nice. There was a "P" burned into the original orange marker from the years of being in the sun, lol. I think that is pretty common