Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Removing a Dash-Headlight Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Too many!
Removing a Dash-Headlight Switch?

I have a dash out of an 87 Camaro, almost 100% out aside of where the headlight switch connects. How do I take the headlight switch out or disconnect it? I don't want to cut the wiring on it and I can't seem to find how it disconnects. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover
Re: Removing a Dash-Headlight Switch?

There is a large connector on it. = http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...adlight+switch
It is also held on by a chinsy little nut that threads on to the steam from the front. You have to take that nut off and slide the whole unit out from the bottom including the wiring to get to it.
I put a large piece of hard foam behind the switch when installing it "between it" and the plastic behind it to give it more support. That heavy switch just hangs there with that little nut holding it in place. You will see what I mean when you get there.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 04-10-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C.
There is a large connector on it. = http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...adlight+switch
It is also held on by a chinsy little nut that threads on to the steam from the front. You have to take that nut off and slide the whole unit out from the bottom including the wiring to get to it.
I put a large piece of hard foam behind the switch when installing it "between it" and the plastic behind it to give it more support. That heavy switch just hangs there with that little nut holding it in place. You will see what I mean when you get there.
Would I be better off just cutting the wires? The car is a parts car but I'd hate to cut the harness if I don't have to, but at the same time spending 4 hours trying to get a little bolt out doesnt seem fun lol. Do I have to go through the front of the dash to get to the nut? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

The **** should have a small tab behind it that you push on while pulling it off. Pull it off and then there is a cover under that, that you take off and then unscrew the nut and slide the switch out pulling it back and down. Disconnect the connector and you're done.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 04-11-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

The stem on the **** has to come off with the **** in order to remove the plastic nut on the HD lamp switch.To do that the cover has to be out of the way.I usually go in from under the ****, where the fog lamp switch would be.Thru there with a long screw driver, you can release the stem/****.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
The stem on the **** has to come off with the **** in order to remove the plastic nut on the HD lamp switch.To do that the cover has to be out of the way.I usually go in from under the ****, where the fog lamp switch would be.Thru there with a long screw driver, you can release the stem/****.
I pulled the **** and switch out of my 88 Camaro and agree with the method you used. Removing the **** and switch on my 90 required a different method. Removing the padded hush panel and you can reach up from below to press on the spring loaded button that releases the headlight ****.

Lon
Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you take the cluster out, this is so much easier. There is a hole that looks like it was designed to come out this way. You can easily reach the **** release and the switch unit pulls out through the hole into the area where the cluster was. The **** release is at the bottom front area of the switch.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

I would agree to taking out the cluster (that is the easiest way on the 90+) but dealing with the speedo cable is not on my list of easy tasks. Unless you have a trained monkey with small hands at your disposal. Undoing the 2 actual screws holding on the face and remove the faceplate forward enough to reach in with a long screwdriver, then pop the release button is far easier IMO. On the 90+ remove the outer trim panel, pop off the cluster, then set the cluster face down on the top of the steering column, then reach into the hole to pop off the connector from the top of the switch. I had to do this on my 90 Camaro a little over a week ago. The original problem began because the plastic nut retaining the switch broke while I was on the road. I could not turn off my headlights. I had to unhook the battery to keep from draining the battery until I could get home.

I replaced the plastic nut, then no matter what I tried the headlight switch would not grab hold of the shaft of the headlight ****. Ordered 3 new switches (I figured I'd have two in stock afterward in case someone else had an issue with their switch). I tested the new switch prior to installation and it would grab hold of the shaft of the headlight ****. However once I installed it the switch it too would not grab hold of the shaft of the ****. WTF???

Installed another switch, but by this time I'd had a switch in and out enough times that the plastic nut that retains the switch was stripped. Head out to my personal PAP yard in the back yard and get another plastic nut. Install another new switch and it too will not grab hold of the shaft of the headlight ****. Then I discovered that if I press up on the switch after it is installed using a long screwdriver or socket extension it will put the switch into the correct angle for the switch to accept the headlight ****.

This was the longest and hardest I've had to work to accomplish the simple task of installing a new headlight switch. In this case, give me a Firebird to install a new headlight switch any day. lol

Lon
Old 04-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had a problem releasing the speedo cable. (and I'm not a small lad) It's the installation that's the problem. He said he was removing the dash, so he has to take the cable loose anyhow. I had the same problem with the plastic nut. Decided to not put one back just to strip or break again. I took a short piece of threaded pipe, like used on lighting fixtures and tacked it on the switch mounting plate. Then a washer and the nut. I could tighten it much better and never have to worry about it again. Obviously you have to get it straight in line with everything or it will screw the **** alignment up.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 PM

Cluster was already out since the entire dash was coming out. Speedo cables are one of my pet peeves since sometimes I have a tough time getting my fat fingers in there (maybe thats a sign its time for a diet lol.) My biggest fear on reaching up into the cables would be having some sort of creature like a snake in there in a car in a yard or something. Anyways, back to the switch, I ended up just cutting the wires to the headlight switch. I didn't really want to do it but it is only a parts car and I was short on time. Thanks for all the help guys!