Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Reinstall A trim, headliner snugly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc-Z Red T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI LB9 55k miles
Transmission: Auto 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi
Reinstall A trim, headliner snugly?

I have a 88 ttop. I bought new ABS unclothed headliner. It installed snug with the dome light and visors but does not pull tight by the rear view mirror and the whole upper lip around the t is a huge gap and the rear cover with 4 screws that supports the rear of the headliner does not fit snug.

it all installs flush and not sagging bad or flopping around but around the edges you can see 1/2" in places, the part above rearview mirror is a lot and the edges when the T tops are out looking into the car you can can see under the headliner.

Also how do you get the A pillars installed snug? I bought new clips and nothing grabs tight, The little tabs inside the pillar are busting too but even just holding the a pillers in place they do not even lineup snug trying to push them in place?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73
Re: Reinstall A trim, headliner snugly?

Who did you buy this from?
When did you buy this?
Has it been sitting on anything to expand the edges? Or are the edges short?
Can you post pictures?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

This is typical fit of the abs headliners. They really need tobe fabric covered to fill the gaps.
For The a pillars, the slots in the trim peices that the clips slide into are really cheesy. They get distorted. You can use various materials to shim them and repair with plastic weld glue.
You may still not be able to get them as tight as you want without the fabric material. You can space them with weatherstripping foam tape.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Supreme Member

I'd still like some pictures please. I plan to buy a new uncovered headliner. I may be fine with these gaps.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:31 PM

I will take better pictures but I searched A1 auto and they have video of the install and my gaps look the same. As stated by stealth/a I think it is the lack of material to wrap under it to fill the gap. A1 says just use double sided velcro tape to pull it in. Good Idea and I will try that.

As for the look, it looks fine and matches the interior well. I like the plastic wont stain. and it was $120 off ebay

the A pillars I removed the clips and I cannot even to get them to lie flush. Weird. The side facing outward wont turn flush to meet the windshield so when you get in the car you see about 1" gap of the red metal holding the windshield. I will try again but A1 also stated just use velcro here as well
Old 07-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
I will take better pictures but I searched A1 auto and they have video of the install and my gaps look the same. As stated by stealth/a I think it is the lack of material to wrap under it to fill the gap. A1 says just use double sided velcro tape to pull it in. Good Idea and I will try that.

As for the look, it looks fine and matches the interior well. I like the plastic wont stain. and it was $120 off ebay

the A pillars I removed the clips and I cannot even to get them to lie flush. Weird. The side facing outward wont turn flush to meet the windshield so when you get in the car you see about 1" gap of the red metal holding the windshield. I will try again but A1 also stated just use velcro here as well
1A...1A!!! Haha, they really need to get that stuck into our heads better. Sounds good. I'll probably go bare metal, but please do post pictures. I may like the unclothed look.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

Originally Posted by jjcuff1

Wait till you see how much it's sags when it gets hot! There's a reason no car manufacturer makes abs headliners.

Post some pics of the apillar trim parts back side and the clips you are using and I'll see if I can help with the fit.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
Wait till you see how much it's sags when it gets hot! There's a reason no car manufacturer makes abs headliners.

Post some pics of the apillar trim parts back side and the clips you are using and I'll see if I can help with the fit.
Alternatives then? I'd rather not buy a headliner just to have it sag when it's hot, like all summer would be. I still want to see these pictures of the gaps. Looking at mine, which has the fabric falling off, I don't see gaps that would really bother me. Even during the summer. But my definition may not be the same as others. These aren't exactly tight knit cars. Or should they be?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 PM

Well I thought that is why the TPI was designed to overheat and lock down the electronics, to keep all the plastic from melting in the summer time heat above 220F? ;-) LOL JK

The headline looks fine, a little velcro will pull it in. It is the A pillar that looks so off. I do not see how the t-top section of the a piller can stay aligned. It requires almost a 45 degrees of rotation from the t-top mount screw to get it to sit flush against the rail. no way velcro will hold it in place.