LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS2 475rwhp Swap Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS2 475rwhp Swap Complete

Hey guys, completed my build last october, just figured I'd sign up on here and post the results. What do you guys think the car is valued at now?

Car made 475rwhp through a tick performance stage 5 tr6060 magnum and moser ford 9" w/detroit locker and 4.10 final drive.

Here's the mods list (for the most part):
05 GTO Engine LS2
PRC 227 heads
MS4 Cam
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Main Studs
Cloyes hex adjust dbl roller timing chain
7.500 even hardened pushrods
Comp Cams - Rocker trunion upgrade kit
Morel 5206 link-bar lifters
LS6 Ported Oil Pump
Tick Stage 5 TR6060 Magnum
Ford 9" with detroit locker, 4.10 gearing
Z06 calipers w/drilled slotted brakes
Wilwood tandem master cylinder
Stainless steel brake lines custom bent/flared by yours truly, front to back.
QA1 double adjustable coil overs front and rear
Umi strut bar
Spohn pro torque arm
Spohn trans bracket
Spohn rear and front sway bars
Spohn kmember w/pinto manual rack
Spohn weld in sub frame connectors
Corboreu seats and harnesses
Spohn Heavy duty custom driveshaft
Hawks 1 7/8 stainless steel headers
True catless 3" side exhaust w/tiny flowmasters (only route you can go is out the side with 3" on this car)
Tracking system with fuel cut capability
01 camaro ss rims
Spohn adj wonder bar
Spohn adj panhard bar

Fast 102 intake
Fast 102 tb
Fast 57lb hr fuel injectors
Fast fuel rains
Fast fuel pressure regulator
Using 04 GTO (ls1) pcm custom wired by myself. Reason being I needed a drive by cable system, the 05 is drive by wire and doesn't support an iac.

Pro 5.0 Shifter
Monster Level 3 Clutch (750hp+)
18lb Aluminum Flywheel
Glowshift gauges
Battery relocate to driver side
Champion Aluminum 3 core radiator
160 deg t-stat
PS Delete pulley
4" Intake
Alternator relocation kit (to clear steering shaft)
New OEM Dashpad
Attached Thumbnails LS2 475rwhp Swap Complete-1604665_10201685805603984_1266282924_n-copy.jpg   LS2 475rwhp Swap Complete-1506967_10201685805163973_855412014_n.jpg   LS2 475rwhp Swap Complete-1618659_10201685804123947_122649273_n.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: LS2 475rwhp Swap Complete

Nice!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56

Nice build, Lots of real sweet parts on that thing gotta be worth some bucks
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Replacement value to you for insurance, or resale value?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Just wondering opinions on resale value. I put about 30k into it. All labor I did myself so that's just in parts
Old 02-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Car: 92 GTA
Engine: 350
Transmission: A-4

Nice build. Speed Inc. is the ****. They have been helping me with my swap.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 PM

They are ok. One of their tech's is a major douchebag but I have been battling them over fixing my tune. I paid about $750 for the tune and my car still wants to die when I clutch in to come to a stop.
They said they tuned the driveability portion but they inserted a random value in my rolling idle tables and didn't adjust it accordingly. So once it gets warm hopefully I can squeeze in there and have them fix it. Otherwise I will try to do it myself in my driveway.
Essentially they are trying to blame my FAST 102tb cable driven, but I paid $500 for that brand new. I doubt FAST released such an expensive product with that much of a flaw. They keep trying to get me to buy a nick williams 102 but would rather not and just have them fix my car.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 6.0L LQ9
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.92

$30k seems like a lot....are you including the price of the car? even then it's really high.

i have mine insured for $25k. that's not a realistic private sale value, but what i would like to have to cover my time and expenses.

what you ended up with looks really nice, i think you did a great job!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 AM

It seems like a lot but everything on the car is brand new. Delsphere joints, spared zero expense here. Feel welcome to go through my list above and get parts prices. My trand alone was 5500. Tb was 500. Engine upgrades somewhere about 5k, intake was like 1000, rear end all said and done cost about 4k, headers were 1200. 500 for a custom fabbed exhaust. My lifters were 500-600 lol. My brakes were 1500~ not including lines master cyl, fittings etc.
there's alot of things that nickle and dime you to do it all right. Basically ordered the whole spohn website lol.
The only things that arent spohn are the founders upper panhard bar and the umi strut tower brace.
Also bought the pro hp tuners and have that with the car. I have the evap case eliminator that removes the evaporator but keep your blower (thing is awesome)
Brand new dashpad 400
Soundsystem is about 1000
New headliner (200?)
...my god starring to realize how much I dumped into this thing

Last edited by skttle; 02-15-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 AM

Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Very impressive built by the way. Nice job! A good starting point would be to get it appraised. Hopefully you saved all your receipts and kept good records of all your work. That will help out big time for the appraiser. Then you can insure for what its worth. As far as a resale value its really a tough one. There aren't too many cars to compare to get a ball park figure.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91' Z28. 70' Dune Buggy
Engine: LSX Cam/Full Bolt ons
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Nice build!

I can tell you that I searched and searched for a clean LSX/T56 thirdgen Camaro for months, all over the country. I couldn't find one that was clean, Ttop, with good paint, and done right. I came across a few, but they where either hard top, or colors I did not want, such as yellow or white, and I didn't want to buy a car and then plan on a full color change paint job.

So I decided to build my own.

From the cars I came across, 10k-14k seemed like the "average" price range for a clean mostly stock lsx swapped thirdgen.

I saw a couple go for around 18k that where nice full bolt on LS1 cars.

Your car has a LS2 and way more go fast goodies, so it should be worth more. But it's hard to put a price on a car that you can't compare to another just like it.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

Originally Posted by skttle
I have the evap case eliminator that removes the evaporator but keep your blower (thing is awesome)
Evap case eliminator....

Is that a fancy term for no air conditioning?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Evap case eliminator....

Is that a fancy term for no air conditioning?
I was curious about that too
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Indeed finding a buyer is the work with a fine car. Sometimes they find you and its easy, chance plays a role as always. What really changes the odds of selling for a decent number is the desperation of the seller. Unfortunately we all run into things on the path of life that can cost very high and leave us scrambling for cash and force us to sell off fast and cheap. Heck even Donald Trump went broke once, it happens.

So if you have time to work the sale properly and take the car out to the biggest shows you can find ( LSfest is a good one for instance ) and list it for sale, hold out for your price, sooner or later you will find a buyer excited enough for that piece of iron and pony up the dough. May require taking it to the next show and hit repeat until you find the one. Internet sales seem to be rife with lowballers and lots of highway robbery artists who will grind to the nth penny. Not saying its wrong, just saying its what Ive come to expect from the nets power to sell, its a big audience, but everyone wants something for nothing and selling cars requires getting the buyer sitting in the thing, trying it out etc. if you dont get the car out where the people with deep pockets go, you wont find a deep pocket price by being lazy and sitting on your duff in your sweat pants clicking around here At least thats how I see it.

A local friend of mines father made a decent little go at buying and selling mostly 32-4 Ford coupes and any year GTO's as these became his specialty. A lot of cars he buys/bought are after the owner had passed on, so its then left to the family/estate/wife to sell and most of those cases the responsible party/s have no clue where, or how to sell a custom/classic car so thats where he comes in. He's a multi club member and has a good standing reputation with both sellers, and buyers. But it often takes up to 5 years for him to repair/restore/do the show tour/sell one of these, but they are very high end cars typically ( Jon Moss built his personal GTO to give you an idea of the cars this guy deals with in terms of range in value ) so its important to consider time frame when selling something for a niche market, like a highly built third gen now is.

You need to find a guy who not only wants a bitchin third gen, but has the coin to drop on one, and that may take some work.

Not to sound like a broken record bringing up LSfest again, but there were a lotttttt of guys asking me questions on what to look for when buying a third gen at that show, I was surprised at the general interest in these cars themselves. Third gens are REALLY starting to come into their own now. The 4th gens have taken over the "mu llet scene" of today and third gens are either 1. Mint 2. getting recycled. The poop cars just arent out there anymore. Not to mention the obvious pluses we already all know; Bitchin looks, excellent suspension design for EXTREME performance levels, aerodynamic body for BLISTERING high speed capacity plenty of aftermarket support for service and parts, plus a BIG racing legacy, IROC anyone? Players Challenge? Trans Am series and on it goes. Lots of great provenance when talking third gens, anyone who says other needs to be corrected on the spot. Haters be hatin, screw em.

So as i see it these cars have long hit bottom in terms of value now, and are only going in one direction. Up. Plus the 5th gen has rejuvenated so much enthusiasm in the pony car scene, and the new 1LE and especially the new Z28..... WOW those are some mighty impressive factory built hi perf machines. The brand of Camaro has never been stronger.

OP asked about value and really it depends on your eagerness to unload, vs willingness to wait/work for "that" buyer. But I will throw a number out there, the sell now range would probably start at the money invested, not incl time, and should sell close to that number I think most would be happy to bail out for the dollars in. With hard work searching out the right buyer is probably 35-40k or maybe more pending your sales ability, and the cars overall well being. I can only guess based on the info presented.

Ive turned down $25+ for my car numerous times. Its not for sale mind you, but hopefully this helps some of you place a value of where you want to be price wise. Plus think about the performance aspect of what can be bought vs what your asking and use that leverage to sell the car. A new 11 second capable Camaro costs at least 50k+ ( 2014 Z28 starts at $76k WOWWWW ) but its all BRAND NEW and comes with warranty etc, lots of perks to command that dollar number. So to compare a custom built car like this that can cake walk an 11 or deeper, has almost or mostly new/fresh parts and is in similar condition to new as it is fresh.... Starts to put the value more in line from a sheer performance aspect. Smiles per mile factor is high here for those dollars. Plus the BIGGEST edge one has when selling a car such as this? The value is not dropping if the condition is preserved, it will maintain value, and start to increase, a hell of a lot faster than a brand new 5th gen Camaro will, as soon as it leaves the lot 20% of its value just got flushed, and down that value list it will go until it hits bottom 15+ years from now, and then the slow return, and the cycle repeats.

A final thought on buying a built car such as this? Who built it and how it was done are also goling to impact value. Its not difficult to see the homemade MacGyver stuff from the clean pro caliber built stuff. Parts alone do not always set the bar. This car looks to be put together quite well.

Anyways best of luck with this sale, but if you let it go for less than $20k? Someone is getting a steal of a deal
Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Car: 1990 Iroc
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: 4l65E
Axle/Gears: 373 zexel torsen

Thanks for that write -up Cam. You made me feel better about mine. LOL an older guy wanted to buy it last week after seeing the ls swap, I told him it wasn't for sale also.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Everything has a price, just have to dig deep enough in those pockets
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Worth noting as well that I have NEVER seen so many BUYNOW deals as I have in the past few years. I did buy a couple more projects, but I would buy one at a rate of around one per week if I had the time and money to do so. Lots of stuff for sale of late, lots. So its not nec the ideal sell time either, and that will impact ease of sale. A friend of mine is a pretty high end realtor here in Toronto and she has a formula for listed price, vs time on market. Its very accurate and I cant spout if off the top of my head but a 3-5million dollar home typically takes upwards of a year to sell, unless they drop to blow it out at 2 or so mil. Look at famous peoples properties of late too, lots of em making bank, and lots more taking a bath when they need to sell quick. Really depends on a lot of factors.

Dont be this guy ^ Represent your stuff right
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 6.0L LQ9
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.92

cam, i agree it takes time and marketing to get your money out of a vehicle. look at 90% of the hotrods people build and decide they don't want...they spend $80-90K to have them built and then turn around and dump them for $50k. then there are those of us who build our own. i would never pay $35-40K for something i could build for half....
Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

I have an '06 GTO LS2 in mine (kept DBW). 382 rwhp with 0 knock retard tune. H/C/I yet to come so I'm hoping for your same result at the end.
I put $30k into mine (little more into suspension), then put $10k into complete paint. Someone always says they can do it for less, maybe they can. It's not all about the dollars. As an original owner, quality is first, then the cost is what the cost is. Selling is not an option.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Stock LS1
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

Sweet build man, very well done. Just curious, looks like you ran your heater hoses the way I wanted to, got any close ups, especially of where they come through the firewall? Also, how do you like the steering rack? Did that take out all the slop in the front end?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:36 PM

Car: 1987 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4 4 speed automatic

I can't wait to do my swap. But my dad won't let me do anything to the car that makes it non stock until I get the title which should be this summer. But I want an ls2, t56 6 speed, moser 9" rear, all new suspension even though I have NO IDEA what I'm gonna need for that, new disc brakes all around, and black paint with red stripes. Even though I won't be starting until I get solid income from the navy which will be in a few years I've been tearing my hair out because idk what I need to get to make my 87 the way I want it. Which is a fast cruiser for nice days that I'll take to the track occasionally but I guess I'll just have to do some major thinking before I even tighten down a bolt 😂😂😂