Northern Great Plains and Rocky Mountain Regional Board for Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas.

hey russ, help me out bro!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 t/a black on black
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 7hunR4
hey russ, help me out bro!

... and fellow mhtg members, but i figured since russ workes on cars like ours every day, he'd know whats up.

anyway, my cars been acting kinda funny lately, i have a link to a thread where i described everything in great detail and i was just wondering if you had any input on it.

link: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...e-out-tpi.html

i just want a little more of an educated opinion on what might be going on before i start throwing money at it. so any ideas?

thanks bro, appreciate it, and also, would underdrive pullies be a good mod for my car? thanks man, and i'll see you on the 22nd.

laters,
mike
Old 04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6
Hey buddy I kind of have the same problem with my TBI.

I replaced everything.

I dont think its your IAC.

The bosch 02 is crap. I have one and its messing my car up.

Get AC delco, or a heated sensor (not sure what part number)
Those are wideband and are much better if you have headers.
If not, than just get the stock ACdelco.

Other than that try to get a new cap and rotor.

As a matter of fact I have a accell cap and rotor,( I have few of them). So I can meet you somewhere and we can change them.

Don't worry about your pluggs yet. I ran those same ones for a year without a problem.
They do run hotter, so if youre gonna run NOS than you might wanna change them.
What kind of wires you running??? Just asking, probably nothing to do with the problem.

Let me know whats up.

P.S. There are other things to check such as timing, ETS etc...So pm me if you want.

Laters.

Right now I got Russ locked up in the basement. He is forced to make Salsa for 22nd gathering.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:18 PM

Car: 1987 GTA 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/2400 stall
Axle/Gears: B/W 3:27 posi disc
Mike, I have a almost new o2 sensor that you can have, a/c delco to boot. Those plugs are crap also, I had problems with them. I'm surprise no one said to make sure tps is set correctly also. And of course, a vacum leak will do it also. Let me know if you want the o2.

Laters,
Conrad

I also have a set of brand new wires. I bought them only to find out they will not work with headers, only stock manifolds. You can have them also.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Conrads right, the TPS on TPI cars is adjustable.

Try that. The car would idle bad, only if the voltage is low on the TPS (I belive). If its high the car would idle higher than usuall.

One thing these third gens are known for is going out of whack and its very hard to diagnose.

Let me know buddy.

Hey Conrad you have any more Ac delco O2's my car is running like poo with the Bosch one. I have headers, so there in lies the problem!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:29 PM

ah man, you guys is teh win!!!!!!

i love you guys, but anyways, i d gladdly sling a few bucks for the 02 and the cap/rotor! what do ya say you guys bring it to the meeting??? if so that would be AWSOME!

as for the wires i have right now, they're delco, they were replaced with the plugs, but i dont know about the cap or rotor.

but would anyone know how to adjust my tps voltage? oh, and would that electronic ignition wachamacalit be bad as well (forgot the real name lol)

anyways, i do want to get to the bottom of this because if all goes well, i might have a supercharger.

thanks guys, i am forever grateful!!!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

You can have my cap and rotor for free. Maybe some help when I need it on my car instead???

Anyways, I have a volt meter. I'll bring it on the 22nd and we'll adjust it.

Ait.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:45 AM

Car: 1987 GTA 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/2400 stall
Axle/Gears: B/W 3:27 posi disc
Mike, you have a pm.

Conrad
Old 04-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
i've always run bosch 02's without issues, ditch the plugs, from some research i have done it seems those plugs work alot better on small displacements, go to napa and get a set of ac delco plugs, just the plain jane ones my father has put more cars into the low 9-10 second range running straight delco's than you can imagine, i'm running msd helicore wires now and again no issues there
Old 04-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: WAS 350 - now L92 (alum. 378/6.2L)
Transmission: WAS 700R4, now a built T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Originally Posted by carbed87
but would anyone know how to adjust my tps voltage? oh, and would that electronic ignition wachamacalit be bad as well (forgot the real name lol)
Yeah, I've set the TPS voltage on my car before (damn thing was off so far that it'd idle down the road @ 25-30 mph without my foot on the gas... ), I'll be more than happy to help you fix it, as well as putting the new ignition module in.

Also, my work has been screwing with my schedule *AGAIN*, but it's looking like I'll be able to attend the meet on the 22nd, although depending on what time it starts, I might get there late - but when we're there, I'll be more than happy to help you with it, if it's not taken care of by then. And if you decide you can't wait, & you don't mind driving up to Westminster, I'll be happy to help you with it up here, just let me know! (You can return the favor by confirming for everyone else that I really do have a thirdgen! )
Old 04-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I have to second paul on the pluggs. Although I have not had problems with them, many other people seem to.
Like I said they run a hotter, so if you are going to run NOS or any boost really, I'd recomend you step down to stock AC delco ones.

The problem with AC delco ones, at least for me, is that they are a lot longer than the shorties and come really close to the headers.
In order for me to run the AC delco ones with my headers I have to leave the #8 plugg in as a shortie. If #8 is delco the boot will be touching the header.

Second of all, I've done a lot of research on the whole ignition system since I thought that was my problem for over 8 months. The module is highly doubtfull. It usually does not have bad idling as a symptom. The car usually dies if the module is bad, and once its cool enough it will start back up.

If you still doubt that, take it out and take it to advance autoparts. They can test it for free. Thats what I did on mine.

The bad idle usually has to do with either not fueling properly, bad compression, or ignition.
Change the pluggs before you get to the meet, and I got a plug gapper if you need one! Gap it to 35 .
Than we will replace the cap and rotor along with the AC o2 sensor.
Bosch sensors will work fine, I believe, on manifolds. Once you get into headers than I would go with AC delco, just to be on the safe side.
It appears that Bosch sensors send the signal much faster than the ACdelcos thus, sometimes creating a bit of confusion for the ECM. (Like I said I did A LOT of reading).

Laters.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:27 AM

Car: 1989 camaro
Engine: 305c.i.d...... FOR NOW
Transmission: 700R4.....FOR NOW
Axle/Gears: 3.42 moser posi
Mike whatever you need man, I have alot of extra ignition stuff lying around. I had the same problem with the car dying. I did everything that I could to resolve the situation.Then I changed the complete distributor and my dying problem is a thing of the past. Make sure that the inside of your distibutor is not full of rust, make sure everything moves freely. I run bosch platinum+4........ reason?? sasha you might want to listen too. I run a MSD 6AL box, I tried other plugs but none could handle it. Then I got headers I tried ACCEL header plugs they sucked. I tried and wasted alot of money on plugs. Then I tried the plus 4's, that woke the car up bigtime and the bonus is the ceramic part of the plug is way shorter than any other plug, perfect fit if you are running headers and the big booted MSD wires. thats just my Enough Ranting!! Mike if you need anything don't hesitate to call. I might have what you need to get your car back to normal. I'll be glad to help you
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.9L (L98)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: B/W 3.45 posi
Originally Posted by cherryred89
I have alot of extra ignition stuff lying around.
Tell me about it, we have parts lying around to make another vehicle .

Originally Posted by cherryred89
I run bosch platinum+4
We have the same and they are awesome. We have usually run Bosch plugs in our vehicles and they are usually one of the best. As for header clearance, haven't had a problem with the Bosch's.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:36 AM

cool, alright, this friday, i'll replace the plugs. so you said just nice stock delcos gapped to 35 right? k, i'll do that. but man, i hope it isn't my compression, lol, cause if it is, i guess that meens i'll be building a new motor.

but uh, hopefully, ill do those plugs, swing by conrads smotime next week (if its ok with him) and maby get this whole thing figued out.

new thing happened today: there was about three times in a row where i tried to start it, and it wouldn't start until i pumped the gas a little and then, like that wasn't enough, it idled insanely rough, like it had a huge cam in it or something!

mabey this narrows it down a little bit cause it happened today, and last friday.

thanks you guys, you really are the best.

mike
Old 04-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

I ran that bosch plug for a over a year. They were white up top indicating that they were a bit too hot!
ACdelco were wearing down perfectly, but could not fit with the headers.