Pacific Northwest Region Regional discussion board for WA, OR, ID, and BC.

Unexpected Detours--Resto thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84z28, 2--1983 TA's
Engine: 305 H.O
Transmission: 700r auto
Unexpected Detours--Resto thread

Hey all, I finally have my project in gear. Well, it took a little jump to the left then a leap to the right before lining out enough to warrant making a progress thread. Not a build, unless its merely upgrading what I already have. Alright, onwards.

I picked up a 1983 Red TTop TA LU5(In my albums if you'd like to see.) in WA from a fellow member here on TGO. It was a bit rougher than I had expected body wise by dents and bangs nothing irreparable as I had already budgeted for a new engine. As he'd had a unfortunate 'accident' with an easy-out, that found its way into the #3 cylinder. Car still sort of runs but--why stay there? I had a plan to go with a 'new to me 305' for a mini-torque monster my shop was willing to cut a deal on. Then replace that after I finish my 383 project this summer.

Then over New Years, the day before I go up to hand the money in(In the wallet. Generous.) Said billfold is stolen. Found 300 out of the total scattered down the freeway later that night got most cards back minus a temporary debit and all checks out of book. Oh hell. So on the fly refinance my plan. I need just a parts car that runs generally but is at the end of it's tour. As now the excess I'd kept aside for miscellaneous parts was now my "engine fund".

I found one on craigslist. "1983 TA hardtop Parts Car" 15 minutes from the shop. Posted two hours prior totaled due to a bent subframe but no title brands. Called up the owner and said "Easiest way to say this is--I need everything but the 5-spd will you sell the whole vehicle?" Haggled on price went up that weekend and did not expect to see such a clean ride.

Black. Shiny. 16's on Corvette rims. New interior, new tires. This car was someone's pride and joy at some point. Then I got five pounds of documentation clear back to 2002. Plugs, the previous carb, hoses meticulously documented. The guy that wanted the trans backed out so I ended up with the entire thing. I was sick as I was bringing it back to the shop already leaning towards repair instead of part out. Got it there, put it on the lift and the head guy, tapped around. "I can fix this. 700-900 and it will be straight--this is not a parts car."

Of course it won't be a monster HP/Torque drag vehicle for that weak point now but for just a fun to play with daily I feel it is worth bringing all the way back to it's previous glory. Now this leaves me in a strange spot with an extra TA that I don't want to part out but looks like it's going to sit and take up space in the stable until summer.

This will be an update thread for the Black Hardtop, about the subframe repair. Interior modifications and overall performance enhancement. With occasional cameos of the Red LU5.

What it's sitting on now, is

1992 TPI 305 w/roller cam, KN filter
Iridium plug set with (the name escapes me) high performance wires routed.)
HEI ignition with Headman headers, with flowmaster exhaust 3' dual pipes.
Borg Warner T5, with Hurst 5spd shift.
Limited Slip(But I don't know the gears at the moment)
Four disk brakes stock.

(Pardon the interior pic, I had removed it some so that the body guy could get in there to heat and hammer.)

Last edited by Rabble-Rouser; 04-08-2015 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Image Limit
Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 PM

Re: Unexpected Detours--Resto thread

*Damage Pics*

The previous owner's mother had backed it off a ledge and onto a tree? Stump? At speed? But it was an ow regardless.

It shows behind the drivers seat, floor pan. There is some body twist but when its flattened we're hoping/pretty sure the snug fit of the drivers door will loosen. While I was down there, with the carpets out I checked for rust and there was absolutely none.

It was stock triple Royal Blue inside and out, top and bottom at one time.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn that hurts just looking at it lol!

Congrats on the find, the car looks really nice aside from the subframe. Throw some SFCs on there welded in after the repair and it will be good as new.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:39 PM

Car: RS Camaro
Engine: 97 L31 350:Eventually a stroker
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73s

I have seen that for sale for quite sometime. I was sad when i saw it wrecked. Put that whole drivetrain in your bird thatd be pretty sweet!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 PM

Alright, got good news and some bad. Bad is the Black TA is still waiting in shop for the body work to be done, but that's not too stressful really. It's out of weather and some of the finagle parts such as ***** and such have been replaced. The shop is going through some repairs and expansions and such is backed up a couple months. But communication is still going.

The LU5, the problem child has been giving me some absolute bull about the windsheild wipers. Which led to some other really interesting(irritating) revelations. When I got it, I noted the gear shift didn't have a actuator, to press. And that it will freely go through park, reverse drive with just a push. I thought this was due to the fact it was worn out.

Find out, the windshield wipers didn't work due to the column being from a newer Trans Am. And therefore apparently the electrical isn't syncing so they hotwired it. There was a cable extra on it that I think was the shift lock for the transmission? So I am now unsure if that is the original transmission(Or even matched) for the car.

I don't really mind. It shifts nice and solid though so that isn't a big concern right now. I got a new column that isn't all beat to heck and put in, 1983 even. Wired everything good. Yet the wipers still won't work. Everything in the test phase worked--except the motor itself. So I replaced that again, and I get low speed only. I am concerned that maybe the replacement column is bad or of there is a little relay in the thing itself? It looks pretty straight forward, I'll do some snooping with the SEARCH on here to see if there is anything similar to this in troubleshooting. Sucks if the 'new' column is bad because all my turn signals, and lights work that hadn't been before. Which is really pushing me towards the fact that its purely an electrical or relay somewhere that isn't quite right. Or is worn out.

More good news though. Found a used, but solid and clean vortec 350 complete to drop in whenever I get the spare money aside to do so. Debating if I ought to just get a Renegade manifold for the CFI now before it's in or if that is an expenditure I can wait on until later when I pull aside the whole kit and cabootle to up to a 383 stroker with MSII. I know it'd help the CFI out with air and fuel over the set up that it came with factory. Right now, I need it running enough to be registered and through checks so I can move it around when needed. Instead of throwing U-Haul my money. And occasionally be a back up driver when my commuter is in for repairs or its a sunny day and I would like to bum around in something 'nicer'.

Yeah, I could toss both of them or hack one to fit all the parts on the other. But I am sadly a die-hard resto girl, and have a small stable of these F-Bodies. Just love'm. Just takes time, patience and a whole lotta green. LOL

Last edited by Rabble-Rouser; 05-01-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 AM

Finally have the engine and paid for. Doing some sprucing up and cleaning of the exterior before installation. Been collecting goodies in the meantime, and probably will be for a time after this.

New

-Water Pump (After some back and forth, and looking at what was out there decided that stock was better for the use and longevity of the car. Over high-flow types set for race and demand.)

-Alternator (Mainly because I don't trust the one that I have.)

-New Iridium Spark plugs and cables all around.

-Timing Chain

-Flexplate/Mainseals Front and Back

-15lb Fuel Pump

-Regular Ol'HEI ignition system. (Coastal weather and corrosion eats the MSD alive so I've seen and experienced. Though I would have preferred the MSD.)

-Stainless Steel Headers to the cat, and see what to do from there. Rumor has it, it's new from the cat back. But I take that with a grain of salt.

I forewent the roller-rockers/Renegade for now, instead when I pull the engine later on for the full rebuild bottom up and do all the machining for 383 that's when more of the inside is going to get the attention and really bring it up to snuff.

Definitely give this old bird some new life! Hope to have a pic or two up with it out and about. Then the real tinkering can begin!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What headers did you go with?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
What headers did you go with?

I'll have to get the pt# again, I had it written down but they're Shorties, stainless steel. China made but for the moment, I haven't been able to track down the Longtube that I could 'afford' of the quality I'm nit picky about. These will do temporarily for the quiet 350 in there. (They'll be pictures probably tomorrow.)

I did run across a 1984 Corvette with the CFI and am kicking around the idea of grabbing the ECM* if the price is right as it may not even be 'good'. But going to do some more research if that'd be worth it. Or have a chip burned. I wasn't fond of the idea of running the 305 unit and ignoring the rest as I'd been advised.

Also, snagging the electric mirrors and a couple other tiny things while I'm there for some later luxury modding.

The black hardtop parts car is still sitting. I'm glad that isn't part of my finance right now. The da picked up some SFC for that one after some chatting about longevity it's leaning towards a lot of suspension work and 'right n left fun' with the 5spd it'll be a blast when he's done with it. But, it's still sitting. Driving me a little up the wall that I can't do any of this in house due to not having the room and weather/work not permitting. Have garage. And a crawlspace beside the cars. That's about it. LOL

Last edited by Rabble-Rouser; 05-02-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reason to get the Corvette ECM, if you are going to upgrade go to a later truck TBI ecm.