Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Hidden Nitrous secrets revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hidden Nitrous secrets revealed

well, i no longer use this setup, so i have decided to share it with everyone.

This is a completely hidden wet shot nitrous system. In the years i have been using it, NO ONE has ever found the bottle. Most cant even figure out that i am spraying.

I'll start by showing the bottle.
This is a full size 10lb bottle. no minibottle bull here.

the bottle is mounted to the frame of the car, in front of the passenger front tire. no, it is not going anywhere. it has remained this way, perfectly fine, for YEARS.
no, it doesnt look like it can fit. because it cant. it actually extends the bottle valve INTO the front turn-signal light.

here we go :
(mod note: everything is hosted off site. no TGO bandwidth wasted)

This is the front turnsignal. looks ordinary right?
Name:  LightIn.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  5.3 KB

well, take a screwdriver, key, whatever, and pry a little. (Ok a good bit, its in tight)
Name:  LightHalfwayOut.jpg
Views: 3507
Size:  27.7 KB

ooh, what do we have here?!?! is that, a bottle valve? could you say, be hanging out by the front of your car, and be opening a valve?! hmmmmm. thats interesting! and its labeled!!

heres the cover completely off.
Name:  LightOut.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  24.9 KB

notice the Velcro that holds the light in. the bulb just sits in the housing.
how does it not break? i dont know. but its never broken on me. that is the same bulb as when i started doing this years and years ago.
i know, you're thinking it wont look right. well, heres a pic with the lights on. now i know they dont look identical, but thats the camera doing it. they both look normal.
Name:  LightsOn.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  18.1 KB

ok, so wheres the bottle at?
the whole bottle fits infront of the wheel.. just bearly.
now this angle looks like its easily visible.. but the camera is up and under the front bumper cover. this is NOT low, and its NOT easily visible.
Name:  Bottle1.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  13.8 KB

here you can see that the front of the bottle actually goes into and thru the bumper support.
Name:  Bottle2.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  14.2 KB

and here you can see the brackets holding it to the frame
Name:  Bottle3.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  18.7 KB

now a tiny section of the back of the bottle would be visible from the fenderwell. except i made a new inner fenderwell plastic. it looks like stock, but its slightly bigger and goes all the way out to the edge of the frame.
you can see it in the pic above.

ok, thats the bottle, but where are the noids?

this is the top of my car:
Name:  TopCovered.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  14.8 KB
dead stock, right?

wrong.
Name:  TopUncovered.jpg
Views: 5740
Size:  21.8 KB
everything is labled there.
how did that fuel feed get to the noid?
the braided line Tees off under the car, goes into the passenger side frame rail, and comes out at the end of the frame rail. totally invisible unless you're following it underneath the car where it disappears into the frame.
note, its BLACK braided line.
everything is fogged no gloss black.
that mounting strap is alum, the noids were pretty, it looked nice, but this wasnt ment to be seen. so black it is.

heres another angle for you:
Name:  TopUncoveredSideView.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  21.0 KB
Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Just wanted to say that's a pretty nice setup, thinking about a hidden setup on my ride when I get that far. I'm going to use an "E" sized medical nitrous tank, they're 10# capacity I believe. Plenty of space under a van to hide a bottle, hehehe. Did you tap your fuel with compression fittings or some other means?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
there's tons of other places to put a bottle on the car as well that won't be found no there won't be any pics either.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Originally Posted by xpndbl3
there's tons of other places to put a bottle on the car as well that won't be found no there won't be any pics either.
Yupp, I agree, this setup is still super nice and really stealthy. Nice work man
Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 PM

Car: 1987 Trans am
Engine: Cammin Ls1
Transmission: Th400 w/brake 5500 stall
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/ 4.11's
Very nice setup you got there. Alot of creativity and a real nice clean setup. I have been planning a hidden nitrous setup for a while, not really for racing, i dont know how i would explain a why my cam only ls1 is running mid 9's, but i really like a clean look and am not a huge fan of nitrous lines everywhere.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 PM

Car: 87 iroc
Engine: 454 .030 over
Transmission: th-350
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt
yea, i met a guy with a 4th gen the other day that actaully had a very siml;iar set up, olny a 5 lbs bottle and the nozzles under the lid
Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Car: 91 formula ws6
Engine: 1 peice roller scat 383 4 BOLT!!
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
my idea is in or under (or both) the sub box,, come race day you can take the sub box out for weight, and the bottle will be exposed, or keep the box for the streets, and beat the civic with 5 tubos and a whole garbage can of nos
Old 01-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Car: 1992 rs camaro/68 nova
Engine: 305 tbi/ 383
Transmission: stock/ th350
Axle/Gears: stock/stock
i like how you set it all up! Looks really clean. What did you do to the fuel system to keep it fueled with n2o? Is your car injected or carbed? You can PM me I would love to run a set up something like this just for the fun of it!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:07 PM

I keep mine in the front pass seat incase the cops get on me and i have to bail. i can take the bottle with me when I run.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:23 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: L98 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: Brand New (again) 700r4
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt 7.625 W/ TrueTrac 3.23
Originally Posted by 84freebird
I keep mine in the front pass seat incase the cops get on me and i have to bail. i can take the bottle with me when I run.
Would huffing the nitrous make you run faster?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC/05 RX8
Engine: LS1/LS1
Transmission: T56/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 GM/3.55 8.8
What happens if someone hits that corner of the car?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM

Car: transam, el camino
Engine: 415
Transmission: T56
That is a pretty sweet setup and if someone did hit you at least the bottle wouldn't be venting into the passenger compartment somehow (worst case scenario). Why a purge valve? and wouldn't that be visable or audible? how did you hide the lines?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 trans am clone
Engine: LO3
purge isnt always visible mine isnt i have mine shooting under the car or did.... and you do it when its loud like when someone is revving or before you get wherever youre going. also can be used to empty nitrous lines of pressure after done using for the day.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: broken 385sbc
Transmission: G-Force rebuilt T-5
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" Ford 4.30:1
Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
if you have the bottle in the spare tire compartment, what happens if someone hits you from the right rear?? same thing.. outside would probably be safer.. if the bottle were to explode, i think i would want it outside.. thats just me though..
Old 01-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Originally Posted by 5678TA
if you have the bottle in the spare tire compartment, what happens if someone hits you from the right rear?? same thing.. outside would probably be safer.. if the bottle were to explode, i think i would want it outside.. thats just me though..

It looks like the slightest bump would break that, where as in the car would be a bit more durable. Very cool either way.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
bottles have blow off valves for just this reason with vent tubes exiting the passenger compartment.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Drac0nic
Just wanted to say that's a pretty nice setup, thinking about a hidden setup on my ride when I get that far. I'm going to use an "E" sized medical nitrous tank, they're 10# capacity I believe. Plenty of space under a van to hide a bottle, hehehe. Did you tap your fuel with compression fittings or some other means?
i dont believe in compression fittings.
i flared the hardline under the car, and used a T-fitting. engine feed is straight and unrestricted, the nitrous fuel taps off of that, goes to the braided line and into the frame rail... then out of the frame rail at the front of the car, and into the fuel noid, as seen in the picture.

Originally Posted by viridis
i like how you set it all up! Looks really clean. What did you do to the fuel system to keep it fueled with n2o? Is your car injected or carbed? You can PM me I would love to run a set up something like this just for the fun of it!!!!!
the fuel system is very simple. just a walbro 255 intank pump.
the car is fuel injected.

i am still using the custom fogger setup, so no pictures of that.

Originally Posted by 84freebird
and i'm sure you can close the valve, take off a nitrous line, and then run with 25lbs without them catching you.
dont be an idiot. if you have to make up stupid **** to have something to post, then just dont post.
if you truly have done that, and you believe what you've just said, then you're mentally challenged, and should have your license revoked.

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
weakest part of the bottle is near the valve, its most likely to break there.
in that case, it would blow out the light, and spit gas for a couple seconds.
absolute worse case would be rapid decompression, and a mild blast would go off there... similar to a large firecracker/cherrybomb size shockwave.. only very very cold. no fire or anything.
i have a framerail, engine, and firewall/floorpan between it and me. a normal installation has nothing more then part of the wheel well area... i feel adequately protected.

Originally Posted by 1983Fbody
That is a pretty sweet setup and if someone did hit you at least the bottle wouldn't be venting into the passenger compartment somehow (worst case scenario). Why a purge valve? and wouldn't that be visable or audible? how did you hide the lines?
purge valve is after the nitrous solenoid. the noids are from NX... the purge is only used to clear air from the line and get liquid nitrous to the nitrous noid. this allows an instant hit off the line, so its less noticeable. i also use a progressive controller.
it is not for show. it sprays onto the radiator area.
Name:  TopUncovered.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  21.8 KB
look at the latch area in this pic. see the small round hole. look down in the pic below that.. you'll see a small, blacked out tip of a tube. that is the exit.
the line leaves the purge noid, runs down on the right in that pic, back around and points at the radiator. this is why you cant see it.

make no mistake though, it is VERY VERY LOUD.
i do not purge at the track. i do not purge when sitting around. i only purge in my garage at home, going down the hwy, or when i think i need to and can get away with it.
contrary to popular belief, even with a very loud exhaust, you can still hear the purge.

in the future, i may attempt some form of "purge muffler"... but i rarely have been caught with empty lines and the need to purge.
keep in mind, once liquid N20 is there, its there for awhile.. you can purge at home, drive to the track, and be ready to go.

Originally Posted by 5678TA
really, i dont care either way. its unlikely to break, and if it does, its not its not explosive. its not even flammable. the largest danger of it in the car is axphixiation.

Originally Posted by firebirdjosh
It looks like the slightest bump would break that, where as in the car would be a bit more durable. Very cool either way.
its much stronger then it appears in the pictures.
standard nitrous bottle brackets (proven) are mounted to the frame, and to a strong thick bracket thats also mounted to the frame. it is not going anywhere. and it hasnt gone anywhere in years. this car is a daily driver.

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
bottles have blow off valves for just this reason with vent tubes exiting the passenger compartment.
speaking of blow off valves, and saftey, this setup is NHRA and IHRA legal. the majority of new installs posted on fbody boards are not... mostly due to lack of blowdown tubes.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
ah, I was going to ask how you stealthily plumbed the nitrous into the motor - so you're saying you're still using that, and it's still a hush hush setup?
Fair enough, bait us with half the info then leave us hanging
Old 01-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonix
ah, I was going to ask how you stealthily plumbed the nitrous into the motor - so you're saying you're still using that, and it's still a hush hush setup?
Fair enough, bait us with half the info then leave us hanging
My personal wager is that it's in the air cleaner, supposedly that's how the LS1 guys do it. Wouldn't be that hard to run it up through the inlet where it is, or have a hole drilled and epoxied on the under side. My current plan for my TPI swap (provided I dont' get lucky/fickle and just dig an H1E up) is to have the nozzle go through the fan shroud (have an E-fan in my stock shroud) and into my intake elbow.
----------
I'd imagine if he's got a stock style air cleaner/intake he mounts it internally. That's how I'd do it on a setup lke that anyways.

Last edited by Drac0nic; 01-28-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Or under the intake manifold, in the vally. That way you'd only see 2 small lines going to the back of the engine. Hard to see in the first place and pretty easy to hide or disguise.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: Hidden Nitrous secrets revealed

[in a taunting kids voice]
i know who this issss... i know who this issss.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 AM

Car: 89 ws6
Engine: 355 afr195, hsr,gmpp cam, hs rr,
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
[in a taunting kids voice]
i know who this issss... i know who this issss.

Wow you revived and old thread here. Hiding nitrous is an art form. I am suprised he gave up this much info. Hiding a nozzle is much tougher.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by shocker89bird
Wow you revived and old thread here. Hiding nitrous is an art form. I am suprised he gave up this much info. Hiding a nozzle is much tougher.

oh, i know how all of it is done.
afterall.. i helped him do it.

im just surprised he posted anything about it.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Car: '91 RS
Engine: 5.0L gross *** tbi
Axle/Gears: 2.73

thats really cool..
Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM

You must ahve a good eye for these things. I had a freind hide a set up on a Fox body mustang that was virtual undetecible with the solenoids being hidden in the passenger side fender.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by shocker89bird
You must ahve a good eye for these things. I had a freind hide a set up on a Fox body mustang that was virtual undetecible with the solenoids being hidden in the passenger side fender.
we literally walked around the car with the bottle, trying to figure out where to fit it.

i know from personal experience, that a standard 10lb bottle will NOT fit in the center console, no matter how much you hack on it. lol.

rear areas were out.. and while we had some other ideas, (one of them hes now using) they all required a jack to change the bottle, or some other indepth part removal.

eventually i just held it up to the fender, and saw there COULD be enough room... and from there we laid it out.. one thing leading to another... i can do all kinds of neat stuff when its not me paying for the parts budget.. LOL.

i doubt he'll show you what he has now, but i did make a neat "purge muffler" for it...
id do something like this, but frankly, i have a big mouth... i pop my hood too much to show people things... and i already have a faster car anyway...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:56 PM

It is easy to be proud of the work you have done and want to share it with people you know. Everyone wants people to be able to respect thier car when they pop the hood and if they really don't know what you have then how can they?

Great idea to hide it there just like the room under the battery trays is good for hiding things like vaccum resivors and other things. Not that I knowabout people doing that.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

back ttt to show someone..