Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Here we go again. 87 Iroc-Z and a Small Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Here we go again. 87 Iroc-Z and a Small Turbo.

You know i got to check the internets more. No updates as of yet, just driving and boosting away. Maybe come spring time Ill put some more work into the car.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurboROC
No updates as of yet, just driving and boosting away.
How does she feel? Any highway runs or kills to brag about...?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 305
Any dyno results?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Where are ya Dave, lets get some updates....
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 PM

Been a long time since i updated this thread, but progress continues, I have just been driving the car as is. I have over 20k Miles on the setup.

So continuing on i finally decided to finish up the exhaust. Keep in mind i was only running a downpipe which ended right by the starter

This is all done with 4 inch piping.

From the front back

Side in showing ground clearance.... or lack there of

Im going to try to up 2 panorama shots. Hopefully it came out ok.

I have more pics. Ill upload them a bit later or tommorow night.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

Looks awesome Dave, throw up some more pics when you can as your giving me some more ideas. Not sure what I am doing just yet with the GTA, maybe side pipes with custom skirts, not sure yet, but keep those pics coming cuz yours is coming out freaking sweet...
Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Lol, if I give u any ideas your project will never get done.!!!!

Ok so its raining cats and dogs outside so time for a bit of a update.
Continuing on with the exhaust stuff.

I pipe to over the axle. This is probably the lowest point in the system because i angled it so it will avoid the e brake cable and clear the rear end if it goes up.

Over the axle

This is tight, about 1/4 inch all around, I can get a bit more if I push in the heat shielding a bit, but considering it doesnt giggle around much theres no real need.

Mufflers....lololololol. I actually though about leaving them just like that.

Tip merge

I got some more pics of the headers all coated and wrapped but they will be loaded in the next update in a few days when I get time.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '88 Iroc
Engine: Single turbo Vortec 5.7, Megasquirt
Transmission: Probuilt 700r4 3000 stall Vigilante
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.25 w/True Trac

Have you driven it yet with the full exhaust? I noticed when I made my 4" full length exhaust it lowered the boost by 2-3 psi with the same wastegate settings. This told me that it definitely added back pressure. It also slowed it down 3-5mph in the 1/4 and I also believe it lowered the detonation threshold because according my notes back with the short open exhaust I was running 22 degrees timing at 10 psi and now with the full exhaust I believe I have heard detonation at 20 degrees, all things equal.
I have since gone back to short open exhaust but it will have to wait till next season before I get back to the track to confirm my theory on the exhaust slowing it down.
I'm curious as to what you observe. Let us know if anything changes.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Lol, if I give u any ideas your project will never get done.!!!!
Too late, thanks to you I have since started redoing the exhaust system lol...

Updates...!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, if you read the first post its for the blue car

I was thinking about hitting it w some hit temp aluminized and heat cycling it a few times if im not gonna wrap it. I could care less about the colored coatings. Im a fan of polished things...and Chrome. Oh and anodized things.
Not to be the negative nelly. But wasn't there other ways to make those pipes without so many pie cuts? Every weld is a place for a crack to form. Not to mention how all that heat in those small areas with all the pies might lead to weakening the metal?

You made one of the cleanest collectors I have seen, then lost me with the manifolds.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make those cuts on the pipes to get them to mate up so absolutely perfect?? It was two cuts per pipe on the collect? I have been playing with a roll of toilet paper trying to figure that out.

Im only at 2012, so im excited to see how this ends.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Updates Dave, updates...!!!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

This is tight, about 1/4 inch all around, I can get a bit more if I push in the heat shielding a bit, but considering it doesnt giggle around much theres no real need.
You obviously have this down to an art form, I'm assuming that you're starting with a straight section? You have me wondering, how are you making the pie cuts (what kind of saw, I don't see the heat marks from the typical chop saw and they don't look like band saw cuts...)? Are you just tacking one piece to the next to the next as you go or are you holding them together somehow so you have a few pieces assembled in some shape before you tack? Do you have a tightest angle that you try not to go under (the bend radius you get is just about right, looks graceful and seems like you get some reasonably tight bends for the size pipe you use)?

FWIW, I've had a pair of larger 3" bullets sitting in the basement for a while with the though of making almost an identical setup but probably 2 tailpipes instead of Y-ing back together...
Old 05-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
You obviously have this down to an art form, I'm assuming that you're starting with a straight section? You have me wondering, how are you making the pie cuts (what kind of saw, I don't see the heat marks from the typical chop saw and they don't look like band saw cuts...)? Are you just tacking one piece to the next to the next as you go or are you holding them together somehow so you have a few pieces assembled in some shape before you tack? Do you have a tightest angle that you try not to go under (the bend radius you get is just about right, looks graceful and seems like you get some reasonably tight bends for the size pipe you use)?

FWIW, I've had a pair of larger 3" bullets sitting in the basement for a while with the though of making almost an identical setup but probably 2 tailpipes instead of Y-ing back together...
x2. pretty much amazing.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member

I've done that deal before, and mine has come out OK, but it usually looks pretty crappy in pics, I'd love to know what he's doing differently. For one thing that's flux core, which as much as people complain about it I do feel you can run a smoother bead with if you know what you're doing, it penetrates faster and gives you flatter tacks... but again, I want to know how he's doing it.

Secondly, I want to know what's happening with his and Streetlethal's builds... I don't know if they've ever got anywhere, but I've been saying what they're saying in these builds for years, AND I'm finally getting around to building mine.

In my case this spring I'm hoping to drop WELL over 1s over stock with a heads (ported factory heads) and cam swap (at the end of last season I ran a 13.622@100 with a stock >120K mile LB9 + headers/exhaust, it's running a MS and a 9" rear but neither of those should be making it faster, if anything the rear should be slowing it down), and then I intend to hit it hard with some boost with a rather simple setup.

I know that i can make the power to go stupid fast (for a 305 ;-) ) but I don't know at what point the bottom end will fly apart on me.

Last edited by 83 Crossfire TA; 05-27-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Any updates?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Dave, do you still own this car? Was driving down the Southern State the other day and was chasing what I thought was this very car in my Chevy Cruze, but I couldn't tell if it was you or not, but whoever it was got off near the Massapequa Park exit. Did you sell it?
Old 10-30-2022, 12:32 AM

Did not want to bring this back from the dead, but for the people askin. Been this way towards the end of '15. Some clown decided to merge into my lane while he was next to me. So instead of having a collision ( if I didnt move it would have basically pit him and spun him into the left 3 lanes of the southern state parkway) I tried to avoid him, front locked up, rear swung out, and i ended up going across 3 lanes of the SS. Thankfully I didn't hit anyone. Hit the burm and the back end went up in the air and that was that, got ping ponged by the guard rail. The POS stopped a couple hundred feet down the road to see what he caused, the cops showed up ( they were doing the highway hangout on the parkway i just merged from so the heard the screeching and metal banging) and he ran. Some younger kids went after him but after they saw how bad of a wreck it was they reversed back to help. Me and my lil bro were a bit banged up. But everyone went home that night. As for the car... its fixable. I was gonna back half and do a tubular front but it needed to go. Needed the space for a wedding. Gave it away to my boss. His buddy is gonna fix it when he has time supposedly. Just Bah!!!

Old 10-31-2022, 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

That sucks, but I'm glad everyone was OK.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Jeez man thank God you're okay. Had no idea that even happened, why didn't you reach out afterward back then. I hydroplaned in the rain with my old C4 around the same time due to a careless driver, I'm sure he had no idea that I was on drag radials, but still, people need to be more cautious with others... hit hard into a cable pole. Fixable, but I sold it soon after. Have you stood away from the hobby since that happened? I took a break from it after that myself, takes awhile to get over when reality sets in. If you need a small block to mess around with (if you're getting the itch to build another one), you can have my other SBC...

- Rob
Old 11-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Man, sorry to hear it. Glad you're OK.

What's next?
Old 12-06-2023, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
Man, sorry to hear it. Glad you're OK.

What's next?

Re uploading pics. Enough ppl msged me about it. Had to find a old backup. Next spring ill pop a new thread. Not going as crazy as this car ended up being.