Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Pro-charger vs Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 trans am
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Pro-charger vs Supercharger

I am looking into getting a Pro-charger or a Supercharger and I don't know what one is best,I know getting a supercharger to go under the hood will be hard but it also will be easy to put on.But I want to know what one is better?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Pro-charger vs Supercharger

procharger is a supercharger....
Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Car: 1983 trans am
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
procharger is a supercharger....
i am talking about a supercharger that takes place of the intake and the carburetor goes on top of that...but a pro-charger is more like a turbo right?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

its a centrifugal supercharger.... basically a belt driven turbo.
i would take a procharger over a roots style, personally.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

Originally Posted by landonhowell
I am looking into getting a Pro-charger or a Supercharger and I don't know what one is best,I know getting a supercharger to go under the hood will be hard but it also will be easy to put on.But I want to know what one is better?
DIGGLER is right.
I'm sure you mean a roots style supercharger like the B&M 144 The pro charger would really be best when it comes to performance. It will allow your engine to be able to spin at a higher rpm than the roots style under hood supercharger, The max rpm you would want to spin the roots would be 6000 rpms. It creates way to much heat and there is no type of intercooler for the underhood roots type. There is a water to air type for the bigger roots style blowers that fits between the blower and intake.
The Pro charger and those like it can spinner higher engine rpms, Can use intercoolers, can fit under the hood.And can fit carb, or efi of any style.The roots style like the B&M 144 can't use multi port fuel injection, Well it can but you have to do a lot of fabrication to make it work.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Super Charged 414 FI Roller Mtr.
Transmission: CK Perf. 4L80E Manual W/Transbrake
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 3.25

Last edited by topradman; 09-15-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by topradman
BLOWER SHOP

WEIAND.......

FORCE........

EDELBROCK...........
Most of these are not for under hood blowers. The top one is for a 671 or bigger supercharger, The wieand I'm not sure what size blower that is, It looks smaller than the 142 and its not a chevy but for a ford.The way weiand designed the intake for there 142 to 177 underhood supercharger for the chevy sbc does not allow for fuel injector because the mounting bolts are above the intake runners so injector bungs will not fit. The force is for a 671 or bigger. again will not fit under the hood. Maybe the eldelbrock may fit under the hood if it didn't have the water to air cooler between the base and blower, otherwise its going to be sticking out of the hood, Remember the PO would like it to fit under the hood with maybe a small scoop.
toradman: nice try to discredit me, but I've done my homework, No one make an under hood roots style blower with multi port injection for the sbc that will fit under the hood of a thirdgen firebird. Even the belt and pulley have a clearance issue with the B&M 142 to 177. So try again
Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by T/Aperformance
Most of these are not for under hood blowers. The top one is for a 671 or bigger supercharger, The wieand I'm not sure what size blower that is, It looks smaller than the 142 and its not a chevy but for a ford.The way weiand designed the intake for there 142 to 177 underhood supercharger for the chevy sbc does not allow for fuel injector because the mounting bolts are above the intake runners so injector bungs will not fit. The force is for a 671 or bigger. again will not fit under the hood. Maybe the eldelbrock may fit under the hood if it didn't have the water to air cooler between the base and blower, otherwise its going to be sticking out of the hood, Remember the PO would like it to fit under the hood with maybe a small scoop.
toradman: nice try to discredit me, but I've done my homework, No one make an under hood roots style blower with multi port injection for the sbc that will fit under the hood of a thirdgen firebird. Even the belt and pulley have a clearance issue with the B&M 142 to 177. So try again
Oops, missed the "under hood part", that's why I was so puzzled on your reply, my bad.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...s/img/1513.jpg
Oh Boy!! I gotta get one!!

Finally a universal sbc inter cooled roots blower!!!

And with 2300 TVS rotors no less!! Wonder how it'd work on my 400?!? If the price is right, I,m thinking very seriously about finding out. It's so new though, JEGS and Summit doesn't have it yet.

Thanks for posting that!! And yeah, I don't expect this one to fit under hood like my present blower does. Not DD anyway....
Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 PM

topradman; That's OK If I was wrong I would admit to it, And I wish they would make one.

Confuzed1: Yes the edelbrock Supercharger does look great with the cooler on it, But after reading how tall it is It's close to the size of a 671 blower with the cooler on it, You would need a 4in cowl or bigger to fit under the hood of your car. But they were making over 700hp on a sbc. They didn't say what size cubic inches it was,
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Confuzed1
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/superchargers/img/1513.jp

Thanks for posting that!! And yeah, I don't expect this one to fit under hood like my present blower does. Not DD anyway....
Aw, **** on the hood and just let it ALL HANG OUT!! If I thought at the time I built my car I could've had a roots blower that would perform like a procharger ( i.e. pump gas + boost ) I would have put that on instead & not covered one of those beauties up! Less bs to deal with in plumbing for sure. Let's face it, who's gonna get the attention, a Nun in a brown robe or a chick in a bikini with it all hangin out??? That nun might be hot as hell but we'll never know and anybody that's honest knows why we make these cars fast & put on mags, fancy paint, etc... So take a leap of faith and "show your *****"!!! LOL
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by T/Aperformance
topradman; That's OK If I was wrong I would admit to it, And I wish they would make one.

Confuzed1: Yes the edelbrock Supercharger does look great with the cooler on it, But after reading how tall it is It's close to the size of a 671 blower with the cooler on it, You would need a 4in cowl or bigger to fit under the hood of your car. But they were making over 700hp on a sbc. They didn't say what size cubic inches it was,
It's not going to fit under a 4" cowl I assure you....my Magnacharger just barely fits under my 4" cowl....that Edelbrock is 2" taller with the intercooler. It's really the intercooler and the optional EFI TB's that's givin me a woodie!!....
Old 09-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by topradman
Aw, **** on the hood and just let it ALL HANG OUT!! If I thought at the time I built my car I could've had a roots blower that would perform like a procharger ( i.e. pump gas + boost ) I would have put that on instead & not covered one of those beauties up! Less bs to deal with in plumbing for sure. Let's face it, who's gonna get the attention, a Nun in a brown robe or a chick in a bikini with it all hangin out??? That nun might be hot as hell but we'll never know and anybody that's honest knows why we make these cars fast & put on mags, fancy paint, etc... So take a leap of faith and "show your *****"!!! LOL
Ahhh...well said topradman!! If I were to get that setup, my 4" cowl hood would be up for sale. I still have my stock composite hood, or I'd find a base model flat hood...either way, that sucker would be stickin out of it!!

Why hide all that awesomeness??

EDIT: I've thought of just getting a 6-71 blower too, but theres no intercooler on those....If they would just make an intercooler that I could bolt under my present blower I'd be set!!

Last edited by Confuzed1; 09-21-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Confuzed1
It's not going to fit under a 4" cowl I assure you....my Magnacharger just barely fits under my 4" cowl....that Edelbrock is 2" taller with the intercooler. It's really the intercooler and the optional EFI TB's that's givin me a woodie!!....
I guess I should of stated my comment better. I know the Edelbrack with the intercooler would not fit as it is close to same height as a 671,
What I meant for the 4 inch cowl hood would be like the Weiand or B&M 144.. It would still be close on a firebird with the pulley, But I think the ram air style hood would work even better.