Southern California Area Southern California Members.

looking for parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
looking for parts

Hi,
I have a 91 RS Convertible that got smacked down the drivers side.

I'm looking for a drivers side fender, door, mirror, and ground effects. Also looking for the front skirt.
The body shop wants to charge me the following for the parts if I can't find them.
Fender $225
Door $490
Ground effects door molding $217
Ground effects rocker panel $273
Ground effects bumper grill air deflector $248

Frankly... I think that is WAY too much.
I'm calling House of Camaro tomorrow to see if I can get a better deal on the parts.
If anyone can help me find the parts for a better price it would be greatly appreciated!
I wanna get my girl back on the road.
Thank you.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 AM

Car: '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt/3.42
You can also try http://www.thirdgenusa.com/
I just noticed that your also from Lancaster, maybe I'll see you around town.

Last edited by Js92RS; 08-18-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: WC T-5
I didn't know the ground effects were still available for convertibles. If you're handy with a dremel tool, you can just go to a wrecking yard and get one off of a coupe and cut it down to clear the added reinforcement along the pinch rail.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: Moving...
Engine: Running...
Transmission: Shifting...
Check out this post for some items for sale.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:16 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LB9
I have a 91 RS Coupe with all of those parts (not sure if the GFX are different for convertibles but maybe?). I'm in San Diego, but shoot me an offer and we can work something out. Basically the Camaro is sitting in the driveway waiting to be towed away with or without its parts. I'd be willing to part with the parts you need for cheap.

I'm not sure what "Ground effects bumper grill air deflector" is, but I probably have that too.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM

Car: 87' Pont GTA
Engine: 5.7L
The Rocker Panels for Convertibles are different! I do have the Left Convertible Rocker Panel which runs $75.00 and Left Door Ground Effects Piece which runs $20.00.

Thank you,
Thomas
(800) 460-6789
www.houseofcamaro.com
Old 08-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73
Parts

I have a left side fender for a 'vert
Old 08-19-2005, 02:22 AM

Thank you so much for all the info!
Thomas at House of camaro... I will be calling you in regards to getting what I need to fix my baby.

Dyno Don... Can you PM me so we can talk price?

Astoria18.... I have access to a truck and would be more than willing to drive down there for the parts. Please PM me and maybe we can work something out. I'm more than willing to pull the parts off the car you have if everything fits mine.

Thanks again guys for all the help, suggestions and advice you have given me. I really appreciate this!!
And Sunbitz does too!! She's just not ready for the bone yard in my opinion.
Holger
Old 08-21-2005, 02:57 PM

Just a update....
I went to a local junk yard and did some digging around today. Found 4 camaros out there.
Noticing they changed the ground effects from what appears to be 90 to 92. Mainly the door piece ground effect.
Found several rear quarter panel ground effects pieces and it appears those did not change through the years.

Found two really good driver side doors with crank windows, but I hear the inner skin is different between crank and electric windows.... any truth to that??
Also... would a door off of a firebird work on a camaro? They look the same to me.

There are two really good cars out there to pick from if anyone is looking for parts. It's the junk yard in Lancaster on 90th East Between Ave J and K if anyone is interested.
One was a 90 and the other was a 92 both cars are black hard top models.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:39 PM

The doors from a Firebird are the same and should work just fine. I've got both doors if you're interested.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:52 PM

Yes,
I'm definitely interested!!
Please PM me.
Thank You!!
I wanna get my baby back on the road looking good.
I've already made the decision to take her off my daily driver list and get another car. When she comes back from the hospital... she will sit and only be driven on the weekends for cruises. I'm not going to risk it anymore having her as a daily driver and my main car.
It's time to take care of my baby and I know if I can keep her together... she will take care of me in the future.
Granted there were a lot of them built for that year.... but you just don't see too many left on the road these days.
That's why I want to save her.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Just so you people know.....
I love this car and everyone who knows me.... knows I love this car.
I took it back to the same paint and body shop that painted the car 5 years ago. Even they said.... You have kept up with the paint immaculately. They were expecting a dull shine and scratches everywhere I guess. Five yeare ago I had them put a $3,000 paint job on this car and if I were to go out to the body shop right now and wash her and dry her...... you would swear the car has water on it. In fact..... I was pissed when I screwed up and manged to put spider webs into the clear coat simply by not using the right product.

Some say.... never get emotional about a car.....
Well,.... until I met my ex.... I never even knew a ragtop camaro existed since I had never seen one.

Just trying to get you people to get a sense of how I feel about Sunbitz and what she means to me.

Yes, her plate does say sunbitz for two reasons.
Bits of sun when the top is down.
And a son of a bitz when it comes time for repairs.

Once again.....
Thank you so much for all that have replied and those of you who are offering me the great deal on parts to get her out and shining like a star again!!
I don't have much money to put into her and I'm scraping every penny I can in order to save her from the bone yard.
So I am truly in debt to those of you who can come through for me and I will repay the favor.

I don't make much money so I can only be a man of my word. Therefore.... when I give you my word.... you will see results on the words I have given you.

Last edited by sunbitz; 08-24-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:06 PM

You have a PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Just an update.

The body shop has been working on the suspension this week and hopefully will begin tearing down the car next week to get it ready for the parts. I've been having trouble finding the front skirt and side skirts in used condition. I surfed the GM PartsDirect site today and found them on there.
Front skirt is $146.52 part # 16514355
Side skirt is $161.58 part # 12510811
Plus shipping.
Anyone know if I can get them cheaper somewhere else??
Old 08-28-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sunbitz
Just an update.

The body shop has been working on the suspension this week and hopefully will begin tearing down the car next week to get it ready for the parts. I've been having trouble finding the front skirt and side skirts in used condition. I surfed the GM PartsDirect site today and found them on there.
Front skirt is $146.52 part # 16514355
Side skirt is $161.58 part # 12510811
Plus shipping.
Anyone know if I can get them cheaper somewhere else??
I have found that GMParts Direct has the lowest price by far on most items. Although you do have to pay shipping so that adds to the price.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Yup,
A friend of mine told me to look at the dealership for parts.... sometimes you get lucky and find them cheaper than anywhere else and they are GM parts. Not the Hong Kong stuff.

The shipping kinda scares me simply because the front skirt is one piece and very large. But.... if it's the only place I'm going to be able to get one... then I gotta bite the bullet.

Say.... a side note here....
When I was in the junk yard last week..... I noticed on some camaros the skirts were made out of fiberglass and mine is made of plastic. Got me to thinking is the fiberglass aftermarket? or..... Did GM change from fiberglass to plastic through the years. ??
Old 08-28-2005, 02:37 PM

oh one other thing.....
I noticed once I got online to GMParts Direct that the body shop prices in the estimate were the EXACT same as the websites suggested retail. I saw right then and there that the body shop was making a profit. I looked up 3 parts and if I do it myself and order the parts I save $303.05, of which you have to subtract for shipping, but I seriously doubt shipping would reach that amount.

Frankly... I think that's kinda crapy business for any body shop to do. Especially if it's not a insurance job.
I'm sure most/ if not all body shops operate this way.
So for those of you having to pay for it on your own... my advice is... get the parts.

The shop wanted to charge me $1400 for parts alone. thanks to Don and Ben, that price has dropped to around $500 for all the parts. Once again.... Thank you both in advance for the parts and I hope we can get together soon so I can get out of my rental car. I just paid over $900 for 5 weeks rental fees. If Anyone has something under $1000 that will pass smog and be a reliable daily driver for me... please PM me.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:05 AM

Just an update...

I spoke with Thomas at House of Camaro the other day and he informed me that the ground effects were different on verts than those that are on coupes.

After some more investigating.... he's right.
I had the body shop pull the parts off the car and here are the ground effects parts numbers from my 91 RS convertible.

10118433 Left Rear Quarter
10118437 Left Rocker Panel
10118435 Left Door piece

I can't find these anywhere I've looked.
So those other vert owners out there.... I'd suggest stocking up on these parts if you are able to find them.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM

Car: 87' Pont GTA
Engine: 5.7L
Dear Sunbitz,
The only part that is different is the Front Fender and Rocker Panels on a Convertible. The Nose Piece Parts, Door Ground Effect Piece and Rear Quarter Extention are the same as the Coupe. Any of the 91' - 92' Ground Effects Pieces are very much in demand and hard to find. Best of Luck in your search!!!

Thank you,
Thomas
(800) 460-6789
www.houseofcamaro.com
Old 09-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Thank you Thomas @ House of Camaro for clearing that up for me.
For those of you on here that have not yet met Thomas....
Great guy!! Very informative and willing to take the time to answer all of your questions. Thank You for spending time with me on the phone the other day.

I'm one of those thirdgen guys who knows a little about the car as far as engines and fixing them, but when it comes to history and replacement parts... I'm clueless.

Forgot to add one thing....
Went to the junk yard today and got the right and left rear quarter panel ground effect pieces off of a '92 for under $14. Big ....
Got them home and washed them up and they are nice and shiny and ready for prepping. Was hoping to get a mirror, but all I found were housings and no complete units. Found a nice fender but the junk yard managed to damage it by placing the car on the fender and buckling it on the front. can you say YODA's, they lost money on that one.
So close and yet so far.

Side note.... they have a 85 camaro there for sale and want $895 for it. Nice clean car on the outside, the paint even shines, no dents just very minor dings. The interior needs some work. it has seat covers and dust all over the place... but looks like a nice car if it will pass smog. Anyone ever deal with a junk yard before?
I can get pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited by sunbitz; 09-03-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:39 AM

just a ttt...

I got a door from Thomas at House of Camaro.
Thank you Thomas!! It was nice meeting you and I must say... he has a LOT of Camaro parts!! Nice showroom also!!

The guy at the body shop even mentioned how great shape the door was in. Just a little prepping and she is good to go.

I hopefully found a fender from the body shop. Dynodon...?? What happened? The fender is my only missing link right now and I hope it comes through with the body shop.

I found a rocker panel on ebay and I will be altering it myself to fit on the vert. Thanks again to Thomas for showing me the difference between the two. From what I am seeing... nothing than a very straight hand with a dremel tool can't handle. Hey... if ASC can do it... So can I!!!

As a "perk"... Sunbitz gets a new set of rims.
She will have some nice 17" ARE Torq thrust II's since the driver's front rims was blasted in the accident.
Got 4 17x8 rims for $800 which I hope is a fair deal.
The rims are my rainy day money... but I can't have a freshly painted car running around on 3 rims and a junk yard tire.

I'm six weeks into her repair and it will probably be another six weeks before I get her back.
All I've been doing lately is looking at pics of rag top camaros?? Am I sick or just been bitten by the bug?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

just a ttt...

I hopefully found a fender from the body shop. Dynodon...?? What happened? The fender is my only missing link right now and I hope it comes through with the body shop.

I
It's still sitting here. Y ou never showed up.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:32 AM

I don't know where you live and I don't know where your shop is. We will have to mark this one up as bad communication. No harm done, I have a great amount of respect for you and I'm sure your'e a busy man.
Thanks for the offer Don, and I'm sure I'll stop by your shop one day. Once I figure out where it is.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

His shop is easy to find. Just come down the 5 to the 91, go East to the 57 and take 57 So. to Katella. Get off at Katella going East. You'll cross a large bridge over the river that divides Anaheim from Orange. Just past the bridge, Struck goes off to the right. Take struck, cross Main, about 1/2 way between Main and Battavia is the driveway to the Struck Industrial Park on your left. There are two driveways that go in one way and circle around the building and back out, take the second driveway, Don's shop is second from the far end. There is a small flood control channel just past the driveway. If you go over that bridge, you went too far.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

I don't know where you live and I don't know where your shop is. We will have to mark this one up as bad communication. No harm done, I have a great amount of respect for you and I'm sure your'e a busy man.
Thanks for the offer Don, and I'm sure I'll stop by your shop one day. Once I figure out where it is.
I'm listed at the top of this board & you have a computer, Map Quest is also your friend.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:39 PM

just a update and some more info.
I see almost 300 views on this thread... so there must be some interest.

# 1 I LOVE my car!!
I am the second owner on this car and the first owner was my girlfriend of five + years. She IS the little old lady from Pasdena. This pup was never driven hard until I got behind the wheel.

While we were living together.....
She learned how much I loved cars. In my opinion.. cars are just like girls... but with cars... guys can figure out what is bothering them. Women...... who knows??

Either way.... I hurt my baby to the point where I have to take her to the hospital.
When I saw the doctor bills..... I asked myself..... what can I do to help my girl and save some cash at the same time.

I know this sounds morbid... but we are talking about a car.
Just think what I would do for a REAL person.

I think I'm running out of room here so scroll down for more info if you wish to read.......
Old 10-02-2005, 06:57 PM

To add ......
I LOVE MY CAR!!!

The only thing holding up progress right now is the fender which DynoDon still has avail and I'm finally starting to figure out who and where this guy operates. Dyno..... once again... I have a HUGE amount of respect for you... and... you ARE someone who I would like to get to know better in regards to 3rd gen F Body's. Don.... if you read this thread.... please know my hat is off to you Sir and I seek your wisdom and guidance. Not to count myself as a "little" man.... I will be greatful to finally meet you. I just feel I could learn SO much from you if YOU feel I am the chosen one who is willing to learn.

Facts ARE.....
#1 SUNBITZ.... IS MY BITZ!!!
She gives me pleasure when she shines....
and now..... she has NO shine.

Point blank!!!
SUNBITZ.... WILL NOT DIE.... UNTIL DEEMED A TOTAL LOSS BY THE OWNER!!!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 firebird s/e 83 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L 305ci 4b carb.....CFI
Transmission: TH200C....700R4
Man,you love your car

You have any pics you can post of your baby And the car your selling too
Old 10-20-2005, 01:24 AM

Yup, I do love my car.
It's been going on since July and she's not done yet and won't be for at least another six weeks.

I've had my moments where I've considered tossing in the towel, but everyone I talk to says to hang on to her even though she's deemed a total loss by the insurance company.

My goal was to keep her original until the accident which deemed her as a salvage and worth NO money. But I do love this car and body style and I would never sell her anyway. And I'd only buy another Vert if I tossed her to the bone yard. I know this car and all her attitudes, so why spend the same amount of money for a car I know nothing about.

So the time has come to go custom and make it my toy/hobby full blown style. I bought another used car for $700 which will get me to work and back and therefore Sunbitz can kick back and be my weekend/fun driver. If I won the lotto.... she would be full blown and have a nice 9" rear with some big ole' fat meat hooks on the rear to keep her under control.
I saw a vert on ebay a few years ago that had the same thing done to it and it was flat awesome! I have some pics of that car on my puter or a disk... I'll have to try and find them.

As for pics of my car....
I do have some before shots but they are poo poo in my opinion. I also took some shots after the accident of which I'll try to post on here. It's been a long time since I've added pics to this board and forgot how to do it.
I will figure it out though.

As for me having a car for sale?? I don't have one, I was looking for someone who had a car for sale.
Of which I found one.

Once again... thanks to all of you for the support on these boards. Just seeing this post has over 500 reads on it has given me comfort in knowing my word is getting out.

I guess the best way to describe myself is the loser geek in the movie "Christine"... except "sunbitz" is not posessed and won't fix herself. Damn the luck!

So point blank... when she's done... I'll have over 6k in her and she'll be worth maybe $500. But come to think of it... I've spent much more on women and all of them are gone.
So... cars are just like women.... you'll run your bank account dry just to find out you once again got balled, but hey.... it was a fun ride while it lasted.

nuff said.