Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Coilovers or standard springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
Coilovers or standard springs?

I was just fitting up my vette wheels/tires today and noticed how bad my fender gap is in the front since I've removed about 100lbs off the front of the car (35 went to the back), and probably another 50lbs is going to be coming off the front again in the next 2 months or so, so it'll get even worse. I hadn't noticed it in a while because my winter tires are taller, but the 245/45r17's are stock height and its really bad. So I need to lower the car.

I wanted the Eibach pro kit but I don't think a 1.3" drop in the front will be enough for me anymore, so I was considering the DropZone springs instead to drop 1.75". However, I don't really want to drop the back 1.75". Then I saw some DropZone coilovers for about $225 shipped on eBay. I was really planning on the Spohn ones when someone mentioned a price of $250, but that $400 price tag is going to keep me away from those. I know Spohn's are better, I've read all sorts of info and seen all the pics of his coilovers, and I definitely like the 3-plate system but I don't have $400 to spend on my front springs.

Then I'd probably use stock replacement Moog IROC/WS6 springs in the back (or some shorter GC ones with higehr #/in) and use the front to adjust the stance to where I want it instead of dropping the whole car 1.75".

I understand that these coilovers (like other brands) put more stress on the front strut towers. Has anyone actually had any problems running coilovers for a while? My strut towers have no rust at all, and I'll be using a STB (for whatever that may be worth, not anything in the upward direction I know). Would it be fairly easy to make a plate for the top of the coilover to kind of sit in to spread the force out a bit (but not quite to the extent of Spohn's kit)?

Will probably be replacing shocks/struts this year too. I have KYBs on it now, but have been considering going to a Bilstein HD/Sport (depending on how much I lower) or a Koni setup..possibly QA1's in the back.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coilovers work, they take alot of fine tunning which costs money and involves time. the ride isn't the best on the street though which is their downfall, i'd just upgrade your springs and change to a better set of struts/shocks. you need to pair the right spring rate to valving though. i can't say enough good things about the eibach pro-kit and bilstein hd's however that setup by no means should be used to fill fender gap.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
In my opinion, the main advantage of coilovers is the weight savings. Coilovers do weigh less, and its unsprung weight, so its noticable. The main downside I see is all the other parts you need to do the conversion, and for some people, the issue of stressing the strut towers. I myself wouldnt trust it with the way I drive and how I use my car, so I dont go with coilovers. Just my own feelings though, other guys here on the boards run coilovers with no problems. Just remember this, you can get very similar tuning options with the OEM spring/dampener setup. You can get a ride height adjustable kit for the OEM setup. You can also get adjustable dampeners. And more often than not, its gonna be cheaper to stick with the OEM setup.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Supreme Member

i don't think the weight saving in the spring itself is really worth noting however the combined front end conversion is noticeable. reguardless i'd stick to oem, just as many adjustments and alot less money spent.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah I found a deal on some DropZone standard springs, so I think I will just go that way. Advertised drop 1.75" front and 1.5" back. Bilstein Sports would work well with these I'd assume. I've been considering getting the QA1s for the rear though at about $140 a piece. I'll have to do a little research on Biltstein vs. Koni, etc.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

match your setup right... if they are similar to the eibach pro kit go with the hd's. if they are closer to the sportline lower drop use the bilstein sports. you pay a bit for bilstein but they have a great warranty and really work when matched properly with the right rates. unfortunately i can really only say this works with eibach kits though so your results may vary.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

1.75" front and 1.5" rear would be more similar to the sportlines, so I'd assume the Bilstein Sports. If I go with QA1s in the back, I should still be okay to use the Bilsteins up front right?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

yes. i have qa1's in the front and bilstein in back. if they are that low then yes sports would be good as those springs will seat after a bit. the hd is a great valving though for the street but you need to match the setups properly either way. i have not used those springs so i can't vouch for the compatability.

good luck.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Well, I'll swap the springs first, and then see what it looks like ride-height-wise and go from there for shocks/struts. I want to get my C4HD brakes on and get my new wheels on, but I'm not going to drive that car with taht much fender gap. I'm one to usually not complain about that either. I mean, my car has really fading paint and I don't care about that, but a huge fender gap...

Thanks a lot for the help kandied. Oh and do you have that intake pipe still? I may finally be able to pick that up since I'm picking up an SD computer in a few days.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

i can't say yet... ask me in a few days if and when your ready.