Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

how many lsx auto cross

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM
On Probation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: LsX
Transmission: MN12 6speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42
how many lsx auto cross

i was wondering if there are any ls1 thirdgens who do some(auto cr oss) not liek i would take my car up in the canyons. but im interested to know

a bout a week ago i was emailed by a hotchhkis marketing guy to do a track test and shoot day at willowsprings. he was "going" to set me up with free track testing , sway bars and strut tower brace.. yet he never hit me back up . this woulde been a great opportunity!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 AM

Re: how many lsx auto cross

If he does ever contact you back about testing at Willow springs, Hit me up. I would not mind tagging along and helping you setup your chassis for the day. I would jump at the chance to be around a manufacturer during testing. I could meet and help you set up your car optimum one day in advance prior to that test day.

Dean
Old 03-10-2010, 02:06 AM
On Probation

It probably won't happen it was a last minute thing.
As for suspension konis I'm looking for ctsv brake set up. I'm awaiting on ebmiller. I just hope he's almost done with this. I talked to one of the suspension guys on this forum. I'm looking at konis up front. Whole front suspension rebuild. The car weighs at 3280 fully optioned ls powered. The chassis has quiet amount of mileage . I'm wondering what would help out the car ks set up more for drag race set up but these past two years with the ls1 and mn12 tranny ratio I was always tempted to hit up the road course.

Last edited by TPI TERR; 03-10-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:07 AM
On Probation

I also posted a thread on the brake forum.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 with Edelbrock ProFlow EFI
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 Eaton posi

When in doubt I would always choose to set the car up for turning. At least this way it still does decent for drag racing whereas if it's setup for drag racing it will suck at turning.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 82z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by TPI TERR
a bout a week ago i was emailed by a hotchhkis marketing guy to do a track test and shoot day at willowsprings. he was "going" to set me up with free track testing , sway bars and strut tower brace.. yet he never hit me back up . this woulde been a great opportunity!
It was probably this event. Definitely should have jumped at this opportunity. Looks as though they found a red third gen to fill the space.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66034

http://www.hotchkis.net/press_release.html?ID=34

Yes Dean you probably would have enjoyed the company. The Pozzi's were out there trying to finish up on the OLC First gen car.

More sexy pictures of it here.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66173
Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
On Probation

Originally Posted by blyth18md
It was probably this event. Definitely should have jumped at this opportunity. Looks as though they found a red third gen to fill the space.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66034

http://www.hotchkis.net/press_release.html?ID=34

Yes Dean you probably would have enjoyed the company. The Pozzi's were out there trying to finish up on the OLC First gen car.

More sexy pictures of it here.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66173
That was it alright looked like a turn out. I'm really concerened about brakes right now. Any one on this tech?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by Vetruck
If he does ever contact you back about testing at Willow springs, Hit me up. I would not mind tagging along and helping you setup your chassis for the day. I would jump at the chance to be around a manufacturer during testing. I could meet and help you set up your car optimum one day in advance prior to that test day.

Dean
if your in so cal. id ask that i need someone to align my car once im done with the front suspension work.. because i dont know anyone around here in sgv that can do a good job on alignment.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey TPI TERR, do you have any more side profile pictures of your IROC? I'm interested in its stance - what sort of setup do you have now?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

That was it alright looked like a turn out. I'm really concerened about brakes right now. Any one on this tech?
Depending on what you want to spend Dean can walk you through a monster wilwood setup.

If youre looking for something of the shelf, check http://www.flynbye.com. If handling is a primary concern you might want to avoid the cheaper c5 conversions as they are quite heavy.

The c5 brake conversion is what I run and though its a good brake package, it is heavy. If i had to to do over i would probably go with the 12" 4 piston wilwood setup. Something like this http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i6.html

Quite a few SCCA cars are running brakes from http://thebrakeman.com/home. I have no idea on cost and im not sure how streetable his packages are but it may be worth a call. If they can stand up to the rigors on track he'll probably be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
On Probation

Depending on what you want to spend Dean can walk you through a monster wilwood setup.

If youre looking for something of the shelf, check http://www.flynbye.com. If handling is a primary concern you might want to avoid the cheaper c5 conversions as they are quite heavy.

The c5 brake conversion is what I run and though its a good brake package, it is heavy. If i had to to do over i would probably go with the 12" 4 piston wilwood setup. Something like this http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i6.html

Quite a few SCCA cars are running brakes from http://thebrakeman.com/home. I have no idea on cost and im not sure how streetable his packages are but it may be worth a call. If they can stand up to the rigors on track he'll probably be able to steer you in the right direction.

im either looking into the brembos which i contacted ebmiller about for the past month. or the c6 z06 kit. i would be interested if anyone can make a kit for me sometime this month. i saw brakemans packages but im interested in a kit for daily usage. those new ctsv brembos look nice. 6piston update.

Originally Posted by 92-Formula
Hey TPI TERR, do you have any more side profile pictures of your IROC? I'm interested in its stance - what sort of setup do you have now?

it consist of gr2s up front. (getting rid of these some time this year)
stock sways bars and wonderbar
eibach sportline kit
koni yellows out back (gr2s sagged a bit)
hotchkis panhad rod
umi lcas and relos (i will be selling my old hotckis lcas)

heres my set up with 17s and my ets
Name:  DSC00530-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  44.8 KB
on 18x9.5s
Name:  104_2224.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  112.3 KB
Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 PM

I was out at Irvine Spectrum to other day with my truck (Vetruck). We probably walked right past eachother.

Wow, Your car look unique with those Et wheels, I like the extra sidewall and stance it gives the car. Has that meaty IMSA race car look.

On the brake subject, I would not recommend Wilwoods only because of the poor brake pad choice unless you do like I did and have Porterfield brakes make me a set of pads with my backing plates in a good but quiet street performace material.

If you are willing to do that then I would recommend Wilwood Superlite 4Ppot calipers like Ed lists but with some good heavy duty rotors for someone like DBA of Australia. My setup was great AND lightweight, but was very pricy. I did the setup large but not too large so it retained adequate heat for street driving and also keep the parts exoticly light for loss rotation and unsprung weight. My fronts alone were over $2500 with me doing the custom figuring and work.

If you get on a track someday, you wil;l find out real quick how fast your stock configuration brakes will go out on you in one lap of Willow.

On that note... What a joke that video of that so called OLC was. It struggles to hang with a stock Mustang in the corners. My Camaro would have up and walked around the outside of that Mustang on any given corner you see in that video.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks great. I've been going to local auto-x events for a while now and have been driving he hell out of my car, feel like its time to start investing some money into it - I've already got some konis/J&M strut mounts on the way - but at this point in time im still debating about lowering the car. I'm sure that drop spindles are the way to go, so the front geometry stays legit, but i have to wonder, how do those sportlines hold up at a track day?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 PM

if your in so cal. id ask that i need someone to align my car once im done with the front suspension work.. because i dont know anyone around here in sgv that can do a good job on alignment.

Accurate alignment in Orange.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by madmax
Accurate alignment in Orange.
Yes, I am sorry I missed this question. I am good friends with Jon over a Accurate alignment. I will second this. I have Jon set all my street cars for me. If you are not certain what you want, just have him look at your car and he will recommend to you what he thinks. Jon deals with alot of very custom stuff and several race car guys as well.

ps- Rock & Roll paint is right next door also. You never know what they will have over there. R & R are the guys who did Vinny's helicopter Lime Bus convertion paint job on "The Customizer" as well as many many other famous projects like the dual direction BMW mini limo (A limo with two front ends. It will drive in either direction.) VInny used to own Color-me-custom paints as well as owning Ultra Limozines. One rich maifa bastard.

Most of the guys I run in the circle with her around City of Orange all knoiw eacother and are all linked in some way to some TV show or another of this person or that. We kind of have Hot Rod central around here and Huntington Beach area where Classic Industries, and Numerous TV show guys like the Overhaulin circle of shops as well as Foose, and alot of Boyds original guys from years back. Charlie his painter has a spead out of state though were he sprays in a custom barn he refirbished (He got the hell out of the California **** area.)

My point. Ask around any shop down here and they will all pretty much point you to where and who does what. Doug Thorley and his Mom started right over here also years ago just to drop another famous name people will know here. Many many of them all from these little streets.

Dean
Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Heres an event you might want to check out. I'm not sure whether or not registration is full, but it may be worth looking into. Also I'm from the wrong coast so i'm not exactly sure how far you are from the venue. I thought I'd put it out there as an opportunity to meet up with some neat cars, enthusiasts and possibly some vendors.

The event is April 2-4 at El Toro. Mind you it is on the expensive side, but i'm fairly certain is is free to spectate and volunteer.

Some high dollar cars getting the crap beat out of them. Register the work truck Dean and put the hurtin' on the 100k$ cars.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65230

PS- I didn't watch the OLC camaro video, but if in the video the car was barely hanging with the mustang it was likely due to the nature of the event. From what I could tell a good portion of the event was directed towards marketing photos and such.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Pretty close to both Dean and I, within a few miles. I dont know where tpi terr lives but close enough.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

I think I will cruise over and check it out.
the link to the registration just has some sponsor names and the links to photos, rules and scoring say not ready.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Heres an event you might want to check out. I'm not sure whether or not registration is full, but it may be worth looking into. Also I'm from the wrong coast so i'm not exactly sure how far you are from the venue. I thought I'd put it out there as an opportunity to meet up with some neat cars, enthusiasts and possibly some vendors.

The event is April 2-4 at El Toro. Mind you it is on the expensive side, but i'm fairly certain is is free to spectate and volunteer.

Some high dollar cars getting the crap beat out of them. Register the work truck Dean and put the hurtin' on the 100k$ cars.
You need to remember this truck is a work truck that will carry 4000lbs in the bed and weighs about 4800 lbs. Although it is amazing for a truck, it is still a truck and my Camaro would turn circles on it.

I am still game for doing this in it though, but I have two problems with it right now and financial difficulties with this bad economy and my ridiculous divorce going into 2 1/2 years now.

I have yet to finish the trucks major weakness to to low funds, I need to get larger brakes on the front of this thing because I waste the front rotors all the time on it. The ones I put onto it temporarily about 2 years ago just to get me by til I get the Vette brakes on their have been turned now 3 times and are already screwed again with pad buildup from the loads I take and way I drive it. Ithey can not handle hard street never the less a road race lap or two and a stopping challange.

My tires are still so-so, but at $1400 a set of 4 I can not afford to be replacing them right now after burning them up on a event like this.

I am usually so game for something like this. I get a hardon for driving events like this so it kills me to have to make excuses- but I just can't be prepared for this financially at the level I would need to make a very respectable showing.

I will run out there and if this registration is not full (I can't find any info on this on the few pages I quickly veiwed) I will certainly run down and analyse the potential extent of damage my tires will see. If it does not look bad I will run. I will just turn the rotors the day before and throuw some Stillen pads back on there- in a pich I just threw Hawks plus pads on there and they are crap a few months back.

Dean
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 AM

..oh, and I need to get down to the race shop and weld back on a thinker lower mount tab for my RF secondary shock setup. I have both on the left but only one damper on the right as of 3 weeks ago. This truck takes a beating withj all the wieght I carry in it with such a stiffer suspension. Weight kills parts.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

If you hop on the board over there, PM Bill howell. He should be able to sort out the details for you. I think he has a sweet spot for oddball vehicles, how else to you explain anyone building up a satellite. LOL.

I agree that the postings on the board don't seem the most coherent. But the cars scheduled to show up are pretty badass (at least on paper)
Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: numerous
Engine: ls1, others
Transmission: t56, others
Axle/Gears: 3.23 7.6"

i run auto-x with my TA. I only go to the local event and still run FS because only other thirdgens that run are 1le cars and are way faster anyway. Ran decent tires last event but started to rain making it for very slick course.
Name:  Image100-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  138.4 KB
Old 03-18-2010, 12:31 AM

I was downloading video runs of last weekends VW Drag Days event on the 1/8 mile at Toyota Speedway. I help out my neighbor "Flash" Gordon Williams with his Karmann Ghia. I was driving chase with my worktruck 'Vetruck' last Sunday and realized I kind of have a veiwing of this trucks performance level even in the lacking state its in. It scoots pretty good for a 4800 lb truck especially when you consider it is down about 70hp with the single plane manifold MPFI setup off it.
While its no slouch, It is a far cry from that 561 RWHP OLC Camaro. You need to realize, you could actually sit that Camaro onto the bak of my truck and I can carry the weight if it down the freeway safely- lets see him try that with my truck on the back of his. i have never run this truck in a 1/8 or 1/4.

It just is not a vehicle of caliber to compete in something like this against caliber drivers as well. Noice drivers in exotics? thats a different question, but not good drivers in exotics, I would be schooled.

ps- Gordons son set the 2 stage wrong limiting his run rpms to 7000 instead of 9500. The staging limiter was suppose to be the 7000...oops good one Jeff. This Ghia usually does 7.1 range at about 96 in the 1/8. Pretty bad when the chase vehicle keeps up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/V6rsr#p/a/u/0/KKa8D_97UW8
Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 AM
On Probation

Originally Posted by madmax
Pretty close to both Dean and I, within a few miles. I dont know where tpi terr lives but close enough.
yeah i live around the san gabriel valley close to irwindale speedway.
im getting my brake set up shipped out next week im excited
ill be looking into front suspension now and new tires up front.
possibly some light weight 18s
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

What brake setup did you decide on? What wheels are you thinking about? What widths? There are a few guys running 18x10.5s front and back over on frrax now. Apparently grand am cup scuffs are cheap...
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
On Probation

What brake setup did you decide on? What wheels are you thinking about? What widths? There are a few guys running 18x10.5s front and back over on frrax now. Apparently grand am cup scuffs are cheap...

ill be using the 14 inch 4 piston ctsv brembo kit.
im using 18x9.5 all round but im looking for some lighter rims.i want to pick up a cheap set. but not too many inexpensive 18s out there. i had my eyes on magnesium but the 14 inch rotor kit will not clear the 17s up front.

i also have in mind replacing my 4th gen diff with a moser 12 bolt since i have interest in both track and auto x.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Grand Prix TPI
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 200 4R

Not too shabby Dean,
Reminds me of when I had the 428 in my F250 back in the early 80s. Lots of POd mustangs then.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 PM

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65230

PS- I didn't watch the OLC camaro video, but if in the video the car was barely hanging with the mustang it was likely due to the nature of the event. From what I could tell a good portion of the event was directed towards marketing photos and such.
What a scam and what a joke this event is.
Ultimate street car my ***.

This guy running this thing scamed everyones money and the event only allowed him a very limited restricted 1 day event area and not the large 3 day event this was supposedly billed as.

MY V6 Camaro would have clean everyone ***!!!!!!! Never the less me breaking out my Vette. What a waste of time.
Typical of a few large named suspension outfits showing up with big rigs full oa a few cars and limiting restrictions of who will attend (It kind of took an act of god to even get intot he event to watch, you had to know people their or be part of their "group". TCI and the few others toatlly did this as a private publicity stunt and I am sure they will try and market it with a few still shots as these cars bewing the "Ultimate Street Cars" for sales and marketing BS.

What a joke.

Last edited by Vetruck; 04-04-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
On Probation

ive been waiting on konis and they should arrive next week.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
On Probation

MY V6 Camaro would have clean everyone ***!!!!!!! Never the less me breaking out my Vette. What a waste of time.
hey man i havent kept up with your threads. did you keep the camaro or ended up selling it. i was wondering if you where at l.a. invasion..
Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM

hey man i havent kept up with your threads. did you keep the camaro or ended up selling it. i was wondering if you where at l.a. invasion..
Bitch ex wife got it for a declared value of 4k buy some judge that took it upon himself to appraise the car

I saw you at the Irvine meet earlier this year, I was in my truck.

I will be at the club meeting tomorrow night.

Last edited by Vetruck; 06-21-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:40 AM

Criminals in black robes.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 AM
On Probation

Lets just say I have an ******* divorce judge that took it upon himself to unjustly appraise that car himself and gave it to the bitch ex-wife for a declared value of $4000.00 when I had over $25k into it plus labor on top of tht if you figure what a shop would have charged me to build it. I am starting to see why judges end up dead in their driveways.

I saw you at the Irvine meet earlier this year, I was in my truck.

I will be at the club meeting tomorrow night.
yeah i saw your truck . thats one sweet looking pewter truck!
i ordered some umi strut mounts and konis just arrived. ill be taking the car to get aligned soon.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM

yeah i saw your truck . thats one sweet looking pewter truck!
i ordered some umi strut mounts and konis just arrived. ill be taking the car to get aligned soon.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I still have never gotten around to finishing it due to this divorce crap (2 1/2years and still going- ****ing laywers)and my unexpected relocation and loss of work shop I had. It can be fun for a daily driver work truck.

You will notice a MAJOR difference in the car's turning responsiveness with those new strut mounts and the Koni's
Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 PM

I uploaded a video of me back in 1991 that is TV footage of me running my '68 Vette in SCCA Solo1&2. I was sponsored by Dick Guldstrand. I still own this car today (check signiture pictures for recent shots as well as Guldstrands website- its pictured in his gallery album.)

Hence the name "vetruck" and the corvette themed truck. I autox raced for years and I self proclaimed (with viedo proof- I need to get that from one of my brothers and upload it) that I startd that "drift driving back in the late 80's in this car after events. I would go out in what we called fun runs with passengers and I would "stunt car drive" the entire course showboating for the crowds that would gather on the fence to watch me.

If only I marketed it......

http://www.youtube.com/v/JNHl0cFaP0w...4abd6&border=1
Old 06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
On Probation

I uploaded a video of me back in 1991 that is TV footage of me running my '68 Vette in SCCA Solo1&2. I was sponsored by Dick Guldstrand. I still own this car today (check signiture pictures for recent shots as well as Guldstrands website- its pictured in his gallery album.)

Hence the name "vetruck" and the corvette themed truck. I autox raced for years and I self proclaimed (with viedo proof- I need to get that from one of my brothers and upload it) that I startd that "drift driving back in the late 80's in this car after events. I would go out in what we called fun runs with passengers and I would "stunt car drive" the entire course showboating for the crowds that would gather on the fence to watch me.

If only I marketed it......

http://www.youtube.com/v/JNHl0cFaP0w...4abd6&border=1

looks like fun. i was looking at you photo gallery on the camaro. pretty sick build up.
any pics of you brake kit on the truck ? i didnt get to see it up close.
one quick question. i have a lot of play on my steering column.
i haven't replaced the rubber bushings yet
Old 06-12-2010, 03:14 PM

looks like fun. i was looking at you photo gallery on the camaro. pretty sick build up.
any pics of you brake kit on the truck ? i didnt get to see it up close.
one quick question. i have a lot of play on my steering column.
i haven't replaced the rubber bushings yet
I have a cardomain page I did on the Camaro a few years ago, it shows alot more detail. That car did not need power, it carried its speed well and was built intentionally JUST TO BE a grocery getter for my now ex wife.

The truck brakes currently are pretty much stock configuration on the front with aftermarketrotrs and brake pads, the rear setup is on a Currie Ford 9" housing and are "78 Lincoln MarkVII vented rotors and 84-86 Mustang SVO calipers with Stillen Metal Matricx pads front and rear.
My plans are for '06 C6 Zo6 front Calaipers and two peice GT Rotors with Carbotech single pads instead of the triples, and the rears I like and will keep as is. I have everything speced out, I just need to have everything machined. I've had alot of BS going on in my life for the last two years, it may still be awhile til I get this done unfortunately.

On the steering slop, Jerrywho went to a a new series box on his build from Lee. I would highly recommend checking out his thread on that install. I would NOT use that aluminum disk replacement for the rag joint, they cause bind in alot of cases, few do not have column alignment issues, but mst do due to build tolerances. I would recommend going to a flaming river shaft like I did. Stay away from the crappy AGR boxes, mine sucked- that was a mistake.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/518752
Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 PM
On Probation

i was gonna go with the C6 Zo6 pads but i got a good deal on the ctsv's i also didn't like the 3 piece brake pad design but then noticed the single pads new design had been out for a while.

im doing this suspension little by little. im a bit more excited building my suspension rather than doing performance mods on the ls1. but either way i have never replaced my tie rod ends, and the whole front suspension , center links etc. lol

i just re did stock replacement quick ratio steering box. but seems like the bushings on the shaft are worn. ive seen the aluminum disk replacement for the rag joint and then ive seen the rubber ones. i don't see the purpose of eliminating rubber for aluminum. lol

Flaming River shaft. good idea then? ive only seen the kit with the steering box and u joint it self.

one quick question.
whats a good an affordable Bump Steer Kit?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
On Probation

just found alink on this forum that the flamin river shaft isnt a direct replacement rather of a build it your own kit?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 PM

just found alink on this forum that the flamin river shaft isnt a direct replacement rather of a build it your own kit?
Yes you have to piece it together. I followed that same link and did mine. You can see it on my car domain site.

Bumpsteer kit- I used the Baer kit. You can check it right now if you have toie plates or makeshift ones. What you do is check toe then have a couple of people sit on the front end compressing the suspension and see if the toe changes. If it does then you need the kit. Generally needed only if you have massive caster.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 AM
On Probation

Yes you have to piece it together. I followed that same link and did mine. You can see it on my car domain site.

Bumpsteer kit- I used the Baer kit. You can check it right now if you have toie plates or makeshift ones. What you do is check toe then have a couple of people sit on the front end compressing the suspension and see if the toe changes. If it does then you need the kit. Generally needed only if you have massive caster.
sounds good tmrw is my day off and im going to get started on my struts and camber/strut mounts tomorow.
i hope these konis work magic lol
also when i got the frond konis i was supplied with some white plastic inserts. i have no idea the purpose on these.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 AM
On Probation

got my konis on. front and rear.
rear slotted rear rotors from r1 concept to add a little touch
oem tie rod ends, centerlink since i never touched them i wanted to go with moog but i was in a hurry to do everything today.
camber kit
i really need fron tires. went with nitto 265 35 r 18

i dont know what to set up my konis at. the rears were 2nd to last setting.

this is my build thread overall
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...x-87-iroc.html
Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

That red thirdgen is a guy on this board. The one that's done the E36 headlight swap. Can't remember the screen name at the moment.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 AM
On Probation

so i had some problems on my firewall wgere my master cyulinder was mounted. im getting a plate welded on so i went get the firewall flex. i was having clutch issues. while looking for someone to take care of that i took down my wonderbar my sway bar and the steering gear. i found some cracks on the chassis. hope all goes well

also whats a good wonder bar out there.
stb ?
and subframe connectors?

i dont want to add much weight but i want reinforce the front end to prevent any of this happening again.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
On Probation

bringing this thread from the dead

i was going to do a cam only ls1 build this summer but im pretty impressed for its performance. ie. givng the local +390rwhp tpi guys a hell of a run.
but i chose to do some suspension work because it really needs it.

i got a hell of a deal on some brand new headers which will allow me to run my exhaust through the middle over the dual hump transmission k member . meaning i will be less restrictive with the usage of sfc.

im looking at sfcs
there is umi boxed bmr boxed and alston which is tubular.

im also looking for a stb.
umi has okay design
bmr i really dislike the logo in the middle
hotchkis ahas a nice piece.

majority of my suspension is umi although im not to impressed with my front a arms.

what do boxed sfc weigh? in comparison to alston. only issue that i am hearing is that alstons sfc migh scrap too much on a lowered vehicle.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

most available SFC's are pretty darn heavy.

the alstons will only typically rub if you drive over a hump in the road, or crest a small hit and get the middle of the car hung up. They really dont sit lower than the k-member. I can get a measurement if you want, but im pretty sure teh k-member is still lower than they sit.

Honestly, i like most of the design of Spohns SFC's. I would do some things differently, which is why i will be making my own, but i like their idea and execution the best.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

my bmr's dont scrape but my exhaust and air dam sure do -__- my bmr's dont have any logos on them..
heres some pics of what they look like and what they did for thecar haha
Name:  IMG_0634.jpg
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0631.jpg
Size:  62.7 KB