Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Front Suspension: Torn down, time to REBUILD! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Suspension: Torn down, time to REBUILD! Help!

Hi Guys,
First timer working on my '86 IROC. Everything is pretty much stripped from the firewall to the front of the car. I stripped down the K-Member, painted it, bought new steering parts, bushings, etc...

Now where he hell do I start putting the front suspension back together? What order do parts get together in?

Name:  2010-09-24102831.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  53.1 KB
Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Front Suspension: Torn down, time to REBUILD! Help!

What order did you take it apart in? Reverse maybe?

I don't think there's any reason an order would have to be followed - you can pretty much take anything off and replace without disturbing the rest.

If it were me, I'd put the subframe back in car, and go from there - A-arms, knuckle assembly, struts, springs, steering (centerlink, tie rods, idler arm), then jack A-arms up with spring in perch and attach struts to towers.

Im hoping that tearing it down that far you are replacing everything like springs struts, ball joints, etc. while you are there. If using stock springs you'll need a spring compressor (free rental at autozone) and a 3-4 inch chunk if pipe to use with the compressor to get the stock height springs back in (unless you put A-arms with springs on top back in with a jack before you bolt up the A-arms).
Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 PM

"What order did you take it apart in? Reverse maybe?"

There in lies the problem camaronewbie. I took it out of the car, fast, long, ago and without taking much apart. I guess I didn't ask my question correctly. What is the best way of putting it all back together now that it's apart. (Which you answered, "Put the K back in the car and work from there.") That's the kind advice I was looking for.

YES, BMR A arms, KYB shocks, poly bushing kit, new steering componets, lowering springs (which I'm having problems making a choice on.) It's tough to decide when on a budget. $100 Ksport, Tenzo, or dropzone or throwdown another $120-150 for Eibach?

Any other tips and best order to replace parts in, ismost appreciated.

I'll post pics as I put the front end back together.

"ENGINE IN BY DECEMBER" I keep preaching to myself!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

sounds like you've got some nice goodies going in. from what people have said (and i'm gonna find out soon enough myself), you should be able to install the lowering springs without a compressor.

I'd go at it first with the kmember, then install the springs & arms. the chassis parts (tie rods, etc) can go in after you've got the spindles back up. If you've got the old parts still, it will help to get close enough measurements with the tie rod adjustments to drive semi-straight to get your alignment done.

good luck with getting the engine in; i've got mine in place but she's not making any noise yet either....
Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Lowering springs should not require a compressor as mentioned, so no worries there. You can install the K member, then it's stationary, making it easier to install the A-arms - you have to do some cussing and jacking and prying to get them back in if they have brand new bushings in them - they'll have to be manhandled into compliance. Once in, then the lowering springs will be easy - install the knuckle first, and the strut, then go for the springs. Having the strut in place makes for a 'handle' of sorts for a helper to grab and pull up on a bit to swing the A-arm up enough to get a jack under it (after the spring is set in place. Remember to correctly index the springs - the end of the last coil on the bottom must fall between the two drain holes in the A-arm. And make sure they get in their pocket up inside too. You can use electrical tape to hold the rubber isolator on the top of the spring before reinstall, so that it doesn't slide off or fall to one side.

Oh - and I didn't mean to sound short last post - wasn't thinking about you having this all apart for a long time. Me - I know I will forget, so I never take anything apart without taking step-by-step pics for myself if it's going to be down longer than a day - sometimes I even draw stupid little stick-man pics too
Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Thanks great tips! Picked up the rest of the steering parts and set of rotors. Cleaned up the brake calipers and got first coat of paint on. Black. I'll give the rest of the parts some paint and I'll be ready to start.

All that is holding me back is spring choice. I'm looking at Summit's now but saving a $100 and getting some off ebay is tempting. I did a few searches for Tenzo, Ksport or dropzone spring reviews but didn't come up with anything to help my decision.

Any opinions on those ebay springs?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Have no idea about any ebay springs - I have Eibach Prokit (1in drop) and I love them - can't imagine trying to drive in the real world with lower.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Eibach springs are very good!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ASE doc
Eibach springs are very good!

I decided to go with the pro kit. After researching it looks like the pro kits 1" drop will fit my vision of what I want the car to look like and behave.

Thanks for the responses. Ordered the springs and will start putting the k back in Saturday morning. I'll post pics !
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 HSR $8D
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

When I did this several years ago I also POR 15'd my entire front suspension.

Bolt K Member back in...torque the bolts. Service manual will have proper numbers. I'd also anti-seize them while you're at it.

Then I put the a arms on...leave the bolts loose. If you're using Poly, grease every surface of them that contact metal to remove squeaks. I used factory springs and had a helluva time getting them back in...but like people have said, lowering springs are MUCH easier.

After you get the A-arm and spring in...leave the jack under it. Loosely assemble the lower ball joint to the spindle and then put the struts up into the fender and then loosely finger thread all of the nuts on.

ON the lower ball joint, if you're painting the suspension....be sure that you remove ALL the paint from where the ball joint goes. If you don't, the suspension will start popping in a couple hundred miles and you'll be redoing it anyway. I found that out the hard way.