Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

which struts/shocks bilstien hd or koni yellows

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 PM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: which struts/shocks bilstien hd or koni yellows

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming
First of all, who is revalving their shocks? I'd say 99% of the people on TGO will never re-valve their shocks. Both companies have lifetime warranties. If they need re-valving, they'll simply be replaced.

I have the Koni yellow front/rear setup. The fronts are variable adjustment. The rears are the detents. But I've never adjusted the rears from the "0" click setting. The rear is monotube. So let's take the rear out of the equation and just talk about the front.

Are my fronts 100% equal in terms of left vs right? Of course not. We're talking variable adjustments using the eyeball method. But the car is not 50/50 weight for L/R. That's why my driver side springs were much more saggy than the passenger side springs were. I'm 230 lbs. The passenger seat is empty.

If the Koni ***** are so inaccurate that they're way off. Then it would be noticeable. And easy enough to adjust. I've only run mine at full soft, 1/2 turn, and one full turn. The range between min and max is 2.25 turns. So even at one full turn, I've only used aprox 44% of the rebound setting.

I typically run them at 1/2 turn for normal daily street use.

With the Bilstein, I get....."nothing".......The Koni yellow is an entirely different beast going from full soft to one full turn from soft. The guys that run them turned all the way up must like ultra firm rides. I live in Houston. Our concrete roads and potholes would never work with maxed out **** settings.

I fail to see how Bilstein can cover the huge range that Koni offer in terms of driver comfort at low rebound to high performance at higher rebound.
Exactly on all points.

Z28Ricer fails to realize that the title of this post is:
which struts/shocks bilstien hd or koni yellows
The following users liked this post:
NWGuy (11-15-2023)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS

Again, subjective, you've already said you've never bothered messing with the rears, yet the fronts adjustment is something so important, when in reality again just like the rears they really shouldnt be messed with.

Yes unfortunately most people are too afraid to do their own valving, thats their loss, and on the adjustable factor, it can be had from bilstein as well, and again in the end, a far better damper.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

The thread's usefulness has apparently come to an end.

JamesC