TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

IAC reset/ minimum idle speed reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula Firebird (deceased)
Engine: l03 V8
Transmission: T-5 manual
IAC reset/ minimum idle speed reset

Hey again,
So i got my new 350 throttle body on my 305 and swapped over my tps, fpr, iac, fuel metering cover etc etc and it idles around 1100 or so and it never really leaves that area.
In my chiltons it says that when you replace the throttle body you should reset the IAC/minimum idle air speed something or other by
"grounding the ALDL terminal" turning the car on engine off for 45 seconds, disconnecting the IAC, remove the ALDL ground, remove distributor set timing connector, run until it reaches normal operating temp, then change it as necessary to reach 450 rpms.

My question is what does all that mean lol.
What is "grounding the ALDL" and what is a distributor set timing connector.. also once you have all that done how do you change the idle? just screwing in/unscrewing the idle stop screw that stops your throttle linkage from going back further? (the one with the star/torx bit)

Thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM

Re: IAC reset/ minimum idle speed reset

I've searched all the tech boards and everything I can think of looking for doesn't show anything up, so if anybody has a link to the article that I keep seeing referenced that tells you how to do that it'd be great cuz I can't find it...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Trans am
Engine: built 360 TBI
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt/3.23

I thought the IAC resets itself every time the engine is started, only thing I did was turn the idle screw untill IAC steps were between 5-15, at oparating themperature with fan off, lights off and a/c off.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Car: IH Scout
Engine: 345 V8 TBI
Transmission: 727

I posted this just down the page in the K5 TBI conversion thread.
But here it is again.
The timing bypass plug is normally within 6" of the coil/distr. But you should have a manual for your vehicle either way.
If not just go to the repair section at autozone.com

I know the first thing guys want to do when hooking up their fuel injection set up is to start it up and hear it run....

Well there are a couple things that need to be done after the installation.

1. Timing- There are 2 ways to do this.
a. disconnect the bypass wire and set timing to 0° at idle when warm. procedure- warm up motor then turn off. unplug bypass. Start motor. Set timing to 0°. Turn off motor. Reconnect bypass. Unplug ECM to clear fault code.
b. leave bypass connected and set timing to the value listed for your idle rpm and MAP setting at idle, based on your specific BCC-broadcast code. Procedure-start motor and warm up. Set timing to the value listed in the spark table.

2. IAC reset/min idle speed- This sets the throttle plate on the throttle body to a specific rpm. I recommend about 500 rpm for most engines. Procedures- Go to sheet 7 of the pinout diagrams. At the top is the ALDL connector. You need to put a jumper between pins A and B of the connector. These are pins A9(wht/blk) and A12 (blk/wht) on the ECM. This puts the ECM into aldl mode. Turn the key on (not start) and the IAC should drive completely closed. You will normally hear a buzzing from the IAC. If you have the winaldl up and running on your laptop, you should see the IAC went from 145 to 0. Now unplug the IAC connector. turn the key off. Remove jumper. Start motor. If the idle is too low you may have to keep it running. On the front drivers side of the throttle body is the adjustment screw. It may be behind a silver plug. If so just use a nail or punch to poke it and remove it. Then use a #20 torx bit to adjust the idle speed to at least 100 rpm less then your warm idle speed. if 600 then set to 500 rpm. You are looking for the lowest consistant idle your motor will do. When set, turn off motor and reconnect the IAC. I try to keep the IAC count to at least 40 with the motor warm and idling.
This is a good time to verify the operation of the IAC. When the jumper is in and the key is on the IAC is driven closed. So while it is idling to set min rpm put a finger over the IAC port just above the IAC. There should be no air being sucked in and you should be able to see the pintle on the IAC.
When the IAC is connected and operating there should be a small amount of air being sucked in the port at idle and should increase as you apply some throttle.

3. TPS-throttle position sensor. With the idle set, you need to now set the TPS. This need to be set to about .54V. I normally shoot for about .6V.
The TPS is on the passengers side and will have 2 screws holding it on. The factory TPS will not have much room in the holes for adjustments so I use a drill bit or file to elongate the holes as needed. To adjust, just loosen the screws and trist the TPS. You can monitor the voltage on Pin B of the connector with the key on or at pin C13 of the ECM. You can also see it on the sensors tab of winaldl!! Anything away from .54V will also show as a percent of throttle. Such as .2 percent or 1.7 percent...depending on how far from .54v you are. I try to keep the idle setting to within 1 percent.
This is also a good time to check your TPS. Once it is set, just watch the voltage as you open the throttle. you should see a steady rise in voltage up to about 4.5-5V at WOT-wide open throttle. If it jumps up and down or skips some then you may want to replace it.

4. Fuel pressure- The system calculates the fuel needed based on the initial settings for injector size at a specific pressure. If the pressure changes then the fuel calculations will be off. I recommend checking the feed and return line pressures at the very beginning. This can save a lot of time later. The pressure is less then 15PSI so a simple cheap gauge is all that is needed. I picked up a HF fuel inj tester for $7 on sale. Comes with a T and a short rubber hose to install it.
The feed side pressure should be about 13psi and should not change with rpm or load. The return should be near 0psi.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Some more IAC setting procedure https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...24-post98.html
Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by thomas1976
Okay so I'm looking for a timing bypass plug? My repair book says distributor set timing connector and doesn't tell me where it is or what it looks like
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Car: IH Scout
Engine: 345 V8 TBI
Transmission: 727

The timing bypass plug is normally within 6" of the coil/distr.
There aren't many inline connectors in the system.
Most everything is a straight wire with connectors at each end.
So look along the intake manifold, it will be a single wire connector or a 2 wire connector on some models with a separate tach.
This isn't that hard. They didn't hide them...normally.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by First_Formula
Okay so I'm looking for a timing bypass plug? My repair book says distributor set timing connector and doesn't tell me where it is or what it looks like
Timing and IAC are two "seperate" things. Off course to much advance at idle will increase rpm similar like opening the trottle.

For the timing https://www.thirdgen.org/settingtiming

I never set IAC without monitoring with the vinaldl or the EBL flash, where the IAC counts are displayed.
Though at operating temperature, if you disconnect the IAC and set the idle screw for around 450-500 rpm then turn off the engine, the IAC steps should be close anough after you plug it back in and start the engine.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM

i just got done rebuilding a 305 tbi and put some new heads on it not much else just rebuilt it . anyway i had no idea about resetting the tps or the iac. im having issues when i put it in reverse or drive that idle drops so low i stall sometimes. is my problem that i didnt adjust these tps and iac sensors? if i get new sensors will i have to adjust them to?

Last edited by philipshamoun; 03-09-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 PM

anyone?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to datalog the event. winALDL program and a ALDL cable. could be a few things. does it surge at all? Cycle the IAC as stated above and be sure it is working. May not be and stuck closed .
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM

I can build a motor but electrical stuff I'm no good with. My friend will be helping me with iac. Do I have to have computer and stuuf to do it?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 AM

It doesn't surge its more like a irradic idle it won't settle. It will be smooth then rough then smooth then kinda like rrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm bun bum bum rmmmmmm bumm bum .lol sounds funny but best I can describe.lol
Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
TGO Supporter

winALDL is a usefull tool. Yes a puter is required.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Ok I have a lap top where do I get the cable from? And I thought you could reset iac and set tps with a volt meter?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
TGO Supporter

cable can be made see winALDL or purchased see ALDLcable.com or better yet CraigMoates. AS Thomas said "I never set IAC without monitoring with the vinaldl or the EBL flash, "... it is a great monitoring too. .... Not necessary to set "min air".
Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Well I'll get cable but I plan on setting it tonight and need it to runs asap so I gotta do what I can with what I got . So for setting the min air explain what the diff is? Please have patience this is new to me .
Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM
TGO Supporter

winALDL is like a scanner. It shows you what all the sensors are doing. IAC steps, RPM, MAP etc. like an EKG for autos.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

I'm battling a gremlin too. Ill run be running fine. Pull up to a stop sign and either ill die out. Or my idle will bounce up to 1100/1200 bounce back down then back up a few times then car dies. I checked iac with scan tool as well as tps they test good. No check engine light. And runs good. I'm stumped as of now.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM

So I download the winaldl from where? Then I buy a cord or make one from the guys you mentioned? Correct?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Fuel filter and or fuel pump
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ronny
Fuel filter and or fuel pump
Was that for me? 13psi offuel pressure
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
TGO Supporter

yes. may be intermittant. stall saver will increase RPM. sounds like fuel supply falling off.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

When it does it no psi drop, volume there. Injector spray pattern goes inconsistent. Injectors test okay. Drives nice down the road.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Car: 1989 Formula Firebird
Engine: Swapped 350 TPI speed density
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 (soon to be 3.42)

Originally Posted by First_Formula
My 1991 Camaro RS plug is located by the passenger side hood hinge. It's a single in-line plug that is sticking out of the wiring harness.