TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

191990 camaro rs with 305 tbi stalls right after starting one time after it is warm.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
191990 camaro rs with 305 tbi stalls right after starting one time after it is warm.

1990 camaro rs with 305 tbi stalls right after starting one time after it is warm. I don't know why can anyone help me
Old 10-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 191990 camaro rs with 305 tbi stalls right after starting one time after it is wa

Iac might be dirty.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs v8
Engine: 305,5.0 liter
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 355
Re: 191990 camaro rs with 305 tbi stalls right after starting one time after it is wa

ok question is being iv replaced my ignition module due to the stalling when warmed up ,iv seen my bro replace the whole distributer after that didnt work on his cougar ,but iv never dealt with a tbi car before ,it was carb or tpi ,tbi iv heard is not that great do deal with
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 firebird convertible
Engine: 305 tbi v8

fuel pressure, start there. check for clogged filter. dont start changing parts unless you wanna have a bunch a new sensors for no real reason.
The following users liked this post:
Schurkey (05-18-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came across this old thread. Been searching for someone that has same problem as I do. This is it! Has anyone found the correct answer to this problem??? Thank you in advance!!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On my ‘92 305 TBI, when I start it in the morning to go to work it starts after a second or two, runs fine except for an occasional ‘stumble’ at idle in closed loop and only at idle. Once warmed up, if I turn it off to, say, get gas, and it’s only off for a few minutes, it will start at the first touch of the key.

HOWEVER, if it’s warmed up and sits for about an hour and then I go to start it, it will stall and die. If I goose it just a little it will run fine. I’ve not been able to figure out why it does this and whether or not it’s tied-in with the stumble.

The car drives great under all other conditions.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

My 91 does this as well. If I start it first in the morning, I can crank it and it will act like it wants to die unless I blip the pedal. If I stop and let it sit for a bit, if I don't almost put the pedal to the floor to start it, it will immediately die and it will just sit and crank. Its a pain in the ***
Old 05-18-2021, 01:54 AM

Car: 1989 Firebird formula
Engine: 305

My 89 formula does this as well. I've been trying to fix it forever and I've heard everything from IAC to MAP sensor to 02 sensors and Fuel filters. I've read threads where people have replaced these parts and some have gotten lucky others have not. My suspicion for my car is the MAP sensor but I haven't had the chance to replace it yet so I don't know for sure.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by cfs2chvy96sub
ok question is being iv replaced my ignition module due to the stalling when warmed up ,iv seen my bro replace the whole distributer after that didnt work on his cougar ,but iv never dealt with a tbi car before ,it was carb or tpi ,tbi iv heard is not that great do deal with
Originally Posted by waylor
Been searching for someone that has same problem as I do. This is it! Has anyone found the correct answer to this problem???
Originally Posted by robertfrank
My 91 does this as well.
Originally Posted by CadeAtkinson
My 89 formula does this as well.
There's a dozen reasons for these problems. Any of them could be the "correct" answer.

Verify fuel pressure.

Connect a scan tool, look for "codes", but more important, look at the data stream for issues with sensors or outputs. I'd pay special attention to the IAC response, coolant temp sensor, and TPS.

How long has it been since these vehicles had a proper tune-up? Spark plugs, test coil and plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition base timing, fuel filter, heated air intake, PCV system, vacuum leaks, cranking compression test, clean the throttle plates, verify the fuel tank venting/charcoal canister.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
There's a dozen reasons for these problems. Any of them could be the "correct" answer.

Verify fuel pressure.

Connect a scan tool, look for "codes", but more important, look at the data stream for issues with sensors or outputs. I'd pay special attention to the IAC response, coolant temp sensor, and TPS.

How long has it been since these vehicles had a proper tune-up? Spark plugs, test coil and plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition base timing, fuel filter, heated air intake, PCV system, vacuum leaks, cranking compression test, clean the throttle plates, verify the fuel tank venting/charcoal canister.
in my case, I have driven around with a scan tool connected to the ALDL and with it on the passenger seat - no codes.

I have replaced the following:

TBI removed and cleaned
TBI gaskets including base gasket
Both fuel injectors
Fuel filter
Fuel pressure diaphragm and spring
Intake manifold and gaskets
PCV valve & filter
EGR, gasket, solenoid and vacuum lines
CTS
IAC
TPS
MAP
Oxygen sensor
Catalytic converter
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Distributor cap
Distributor rotor
Distributor ICM
Ignition coil
Engine timed to 0 deg
ECM w/ AXKT EPROM
Air filter
Oil filter
Mobil 1 5w30 oil, 5 qts. every 3K miles
Fuel evaporative system (charcoal canister, valve by the gas tank)
All vacuum lines

All parts either new AC Delco or NOS, all work done by myself.

The car had sat for quite a while when I bought it, it had a new GM Goodwrench 305 engine installed, which was verified through receipts and the barcode on the oil pan.

Since it had sat, I consider these parts to be maintenance items.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweatlock
in my case, I have driven around with a scan tool connected to the ALDL and with it on the passenger seat - no codes.
What is the data stream saying about the sensors and outputs?

What is the fuel pressure?
Old 05-19-2021, 10:42 AM

I haven’t verified fuel pressure due to the challenges in doing so on a TBI car. I was told the car was sitting because the fuel pump went out and was then replaced. Yeah, I know...

I can’t remember what brand of scan tool I have - I can confirm this evening. I bought it off eBay; it’s ‘vintage’ and uses modules for different car brands and years. May use an RS232 if it’s even capable of downloading data and I’d need an older pc to do so, which I don’t currently have.

Just to clarify, not all of the parts were replaced as the result of this issue - the intake manifold & gaskets were replaced because the engine leaked from the lifter valley down the back of the engine. I don’t like leaks, so I took off the intake and replaced the intake gaskets along with applying the ‘Right Stuff’ front & back on the China wall, no more leaks.

Also, my specific issues are these: after the car is at operating temperature and then parked for approximately 1 hour it is difficult to start and I have to goose the accelerator. Under all other conditions (cold start, <1 hour, >1hour) it will start & run just fine. The other issue is a stumble at idle which is very intermittent - it only seems to occur at idle and it could be a week or more before it does it.

The car runs great under all other driving conditions: no hesitation, plenty of torque/power for a TBI, no flat spots, good throttle response. It’s very fun to drive. So these two issues are just weird. It did both a lot more when I first bought it and prior to replacing a lot of parts, but it hasn’t been eliminated. This is my daily driver car that I drive to work Monday through Friday/Saturday.

Some other things replaced, again, not necessarily for this issue:

Alternator
Distributor pickup
Thermostat 195 deg. F
Radiator, heater & all hoses
Fuel tank cap

There are two things that have to happen when I own a car: everything must work and there can be no leaks.

Last edited by Sweatlock; 05-19-2021 at 10:46 AM.