TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

L03, full exhaust and LT1 cam, will it pass smog?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L03, full exhaust and LT1 cam, will it pass smog?

As the title says, the car still needs to get smoged every 2 years and seems like after doing full exhaust, the LT1 cam is a good way to go for something mild. Not looking at making lots of hp just making the 305 a little bit more fun to drive. Will be changing gears to 3.42 most likely or maybe 3.73.

Wondering if anybody in CA runs a 305, stock heads, full exhaust, LT1 cam and how does the engine run at idle at 0* base timing (timing check is part of the smog inspection), Just looking for some past experiences with a barely modded 305.

Thanks guys.

Car is a 92 firebird 305 TBI, 700R4.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: L03, full exhaust and LT1 cam, will it pass smog?

When i lived in CA they scrutinized my setup a lot. I ran hooker shorties with carb EO #, hooker y pipe, a magnaflow cat to a hooker catback.
If you have the AIR tubes hooked up and a set of headers stamped with a CARB EO # you should be good.
They will however want you to hook up the heat stove tube and run the stock aircleaner, which is silly, but it is considered part of the emissions system by them.
This means you will have to fabricate some way of connecting the heat stove to your headers...
As far as the cam is concerned I see no need for you to mention that to the smog tech. He will just do a visual inspection and hook it up to the machine. as long as you've tuned the car it shouldnt be producing any more emissions.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by edward92
When i lived in CA they scrutinized my setup a lot. I ran hooker shorties with carb EO #, hooker y pipe, a magnaflow cat to a hooker catback.
If you have the AIR tubes hooked up and a set of headers stamped with a CARB EO # you should be good.
They will however want you to hook up the heat stove tube and run the stock aircleaner, which is silly, but it is considered part of the emissions system by them.
This means you will have to fabricate some way of connecting the heat stove to your headers...
As far as the cam is concerned I see no need for you to mention that to the smog tech. He will just do a visual inspection and hook it up to the machine. as long as you've tuned the car it shouldnt be producing any more emissions.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm going with headman and i just noticed they sell a hot air kit to install on their headers so i'm covered there.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by edward92
stamped with a CARB EO #
This is the stupid part, most 90s car parts weren't stamped with the EO! It wasn't a requirement to sell here so it shouldn't be a requirement for visual.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by thtanner
This is the stupid part, most 90s car parts weren't stamped with the EO! It wasn't a requirement to sell here so it shouldn't be a requirement for visual.
Oh so the headers have to be stamped? You gotta be kidding me.... UGHH

Headman doesnt stamp their headers, i dont think nobody does nowadays :/
Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Spartan_X79
Oh so the headers have to be stamped? You gotta be kidding me.... UGHH

Headman doesnt stamp their headers, i dont think nobody does nowadays :/
Well, some smog guys will use it as an excuse. Lots of people get by without it. I'll have no choice, as my headers are going on soon..
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pic related is the stamp your smog tech is going to be looking for once he sees your running headers. For your own mental health and sanity please don't try to run the cheaper headers that aren't CARB certified in CA. maybe I would try any other state..... any state except CA... otherwise your setting yourself up to waste time and $$.. you'll likely be pulling the headers back off to smog it or paying extra for a corrupt tech to OK you. Just a big headache, if your not sure about your headers I'd just run Hooker 2055 I highly recommend them.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Do the parts have to be stamped/tagged with the Exemption number, or is the paperwork supplied with the parts good enough?

Far as I know, all you need is the paper sticker that came with the parts, applied somewhere visible under the hood--the top of the rad support/retainer, for example.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Do the parts have to be stamped/tagged with the Exemption number, or is the paperwork supplied with the parts good enough?

Far as I know, all you need is the paper sticker that came with the parts, applied somewhere visible under the hood--the top of the rad support/retainer, for example.
It will depend on the smog technician. As far as I know, there is nothing in the law that the item itself has to be stamped. It's not a requirement for them to stamp the part after getting an EO to sell here. Heck, most don't include stickers.

Smog places have the state send in bait cars and stuff, pre-setup for failure. They're always sketch about that.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Wild Guess: "most don't include stickers" because they're not actually exempt.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Wild Guess: "most don't include stickers" because they're not actually exempt.
Not what I was saying at all.

I have a boat load of CARB EO parts. One is stamped. None came with stickers in the box. I can request stickers from the mfg, though.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by thtanner
Not what I was saying at all.

I have a boat load of CARB EO parts. One is stamped. None came with stickers in the box. I can request stickers from the mfg, though.
The only parts I've bought that were advertised as having "CARB" approval came with stickers. But I don't pay a lot of attention, since I don't need CARB certification.

If the manufacturers really make you beg for stickers, I'd be peeved.