Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cracked Head! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Head! Help!

I had a "smoking start-up" issue going on ('89 RS 305 TBI), amd decided through trawling the boards is was most likely valve stem seals. I decided I'd go over the top and booked it into a shop to replace the entire top end gasket set. He pulled the first head and showed me the hardend seals and the oil dripping through onto the top of the vavle seats. Bingo, the right call.

Wrong (maybe!) He pulls the second head and gives me one of those famous sucking through teeth type of calls. I have a cracked head, that has penetrated the water jacket. Result, a great steam clean of that particular chamber and piston top. So maybe the smoke was a mixture of water and oil.

However, cut to the chase. These heads are rarer than rocking horse do-do in the UK, even for one from salvage. Is it possible to channel out the crack, weld in a line, and then skim the head back down? I really don't want to call the bank manager for a mortgage to ship a new/reworked head from over your side of the water!

It's an iron lightweight, LO3, engine code E.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked Head! Help!-cracked-head.jpg  
Old 05-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: Carbed 5.7
Transmission: TKO-600
just get some vortec heads and it will be ten times better. but if no go to thirdgenresourse.com they have used heads for 100bucks a set.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:59 PM

"just getting a set of vortec" heads is kind of difficult in the UK, as just getting a single stock head from any 305 is. I don't have a huge pot of money to pay for performance upgrades, and pay over $200 of shipping and import tax. That's why I asked if anyone had experience of repairing this type of fault.

p.s. Thirdgenresource stink. Their service is appalling.

Thanks anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked Head! Help!-camerounderhood.jpg  
Old 05-09-2002, 04:05 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Another UK Camaro owner!

Hi UK89Camaro.
I live in Chesterfield in the UK (Derbyshire). Phone B & H Autokraft in Doncaster and ask for Trevor. He should be able to help. 01302 368774. Say Andy Fanshawe recommended him!!

Hope this helps.
Andy.

PS Coincidentally, my engine (350) is in there for a rebuild and one of my heads was cracked. He had another one there to replace it. If you get chance to call there, have a look at the dragster he is building.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:12 PM

Andy,
Many thanks, I'll give them a call. I'm up that way next week anyway. (I live in Burton On Trent, about 10 miles south of Derby).

Regards,
Paul
Old 05-09-2002, 04:13 PM

I have had superb service from Thidgenparts.com. Jim is an absolute gentleman! I know the price penalties when importing from the States to the UK but it is sometimes the only way to go. I have a 1986 and a 1991 Camaro and have to bite the bullet a lot!! Thirdgenparts are about to send a BIG parcel to me and I dread to think what extra it will cost me!!
It will be worth it though!

Try the above number.

Andy.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:17 PM

Hi Paul!
You have surprised me how close you are to me!
I thought I was the only one near here with a third gen!
If you ever fancy a chat or a meet, call me! It would be nice to compare cars!! 01246 454782.

Andy.

I drive through your place loads of times!!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:44 PM

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Ouch! Not a good place for a crack. I would be wary of welding it, but if you ground a deep 'V' and relieved the ends of the crack with a small drill, you might get away with it using the proper filler material. Unfortunately, we're spoiled. It is more cost effective for those on this side of the pond to recycle the part and replace it. But try getting any Austin or Bentley parts around here...

If you get in a real bind, there's a guy in your area who may have a spare set of heads currently being "run-in" on a 350. They should be ready to come off right about now....

Seriously, if there is a problem with parts, World Products ships everywhere, and the extra compression on your L03 might be a welcome thing. About £500 should get you a pair (or about $30M in Euros).
Old 05-09-2002, 04:56 PM

Dear Master,
Many thanks for your comments. I'll see how the motor runs with one head off a 350. Could I fit a blanking plate on the other (dark) side and run it as a straight four? What would this improve the MPG to?

Look..Ok, I know a welded repair is not the right thing, I was just asking. I'll ask my sister in Florida to stick a set in her hand baggage when she visits in the summer.

Cheers,
Paul