Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ALDL

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2000, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALDL

OK, I've located the ALDL in my car, and in my dad's s10. But we have an 87 Chevy Nova that's a big POS. I'm trying to find the ALDL so that I can try to find out what's wrong with it. Does anyone know where it is in a Nova though? I've looked all over under the dash on both sides and in the fusebox there's a thing that somewhat looks like one but not really. Anybody know?

------------------
89 Camaro RS 2.8 V6 auto
Exterior: White Interior: Black
T-tops, power-windows, locks, hatch. Blue interior lights.
Pioneer head unit and 4 way 6x9s.
Old 07-23-2000, 02:22 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
AcSeb,

Remember, the Nova is a GM/Toyota joint venture product. The badge on the grille belies the car - It's really not a Chevy. Therefore, you'll need to service the car like a Toyota.

Later,
Vader

------------------
"Some Body...Someone"
Old 07-23-2000, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...so I'm guessing that means that there isn't an ALDL right? How would I find out what's wrong with it then?
Old 07-23-2000, 03:15 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a chance it has a aldl since it was a joint venture, but i'd guess it doesn't. you'd still need to check the basics, spark, compression, and an air/fuel mixture. if you have these 3 it should work, to a degree. since you dodn't give any symptoms it's hard to take a guess at anything.
Old 07-23-2000, 03:34 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
AcSeb,

There must always be a connector somewhere for service techs to download data, but the format of the connector and procedure for retrieving fault codes may be completely different for every manufacturer. Sometimes these are inside the passenger compartment or under the hood.

You may not even have to access the connector to retrieve codes, like some Mopars and other imports. For example, the Sprint uses a switch located under the dash to enable the diagnostic mode, the Geo Trackers use a jumper in the fuse block, and some cars use a sequence of ignition switch cycles to enter diagnostics.

The '88 Nova has a round diagnostic connector under the hood near the wiper motor. If you have the round diagnostic connector on your '87, you can jump the two terminals under the cap to enter diagnostic mode. If you have a square diagnostic service connector near the brake master cylinder, you can insert a jumper between the 'E1' and 'T' terminals. In either case, once the jumper is in place, turn on the ignition switch but do not start the engine. The SES lamp will strobe the faults codes in sequence just like your "real" cars. Normal operation is indicated by a single flash (Code 1).

If you get this method to work, let me know what codes you find and I can try to decode them. I'm a little wary of posting Toyota fault code on the ThirdGen site in order to avoid confusion. There are only about 15 DTCs for Toyotas, so decoding should be easy.

Later,
Vader

------------------
"Some Body...Someone"