Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Occasional difficulty starting....does this sound like the starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Occasional difficulty starting....does this sound like the starter?

Not even close to everytime, but maybe 1 start in 15 or 20 (if that) results in a grinding noise (the same as what would happen if you turned the key again when the car was already on), and the car won't start right away. Usually it happens once, and then the car starts right up, but occasionally it happens a couple times before she'll start up. Also, I can't prove or disprove this one way or the other, but when I think about it, it seems like this tends to happen a) when it's raining out, or b) first thing in the morning after a night of rain. Could it be a wire or something getting wet? I've had a couple starters go in other cars, and usually it gets difficult to start for a while, but doesn't grind or anything, and then goes completely relatively soon. My neighbor raised the possibility of a flywheel issue. I've never had a flywheel problem, so I'm not too familiar with them, but could that make sense? If that's the problem what kind of time/money would be involved in replacement?
Old 06-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like maybe the bendix gear isn't engaging fully. Check the wires going to the solinoid for any bare areas. might be the solinoid itself too.