Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car stalls when warm...any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Car stalls when warm...any ideas???

It all started the other day when I drove it home from work. It was night time and when I started it, the alternator belt started squeeling for about 30 seconds, almost like it had a massive electrical load on it. But then it finally caught on and idled OK.

Then I took off, and the car was sputtering and jerking in gear, almost like it was cutting out, and the check engine lite came on.

I managed to "limp" home like this, it stalled twice on the way. I put a voltmeter on the batt, and it read 13 volts - seemed OK to me. I got the codes from the computer and got both 13 and 55 - oxygen sensor, and oxygen sensor circuit.

I startred it up cold the next morning, after resetting the computer, and it ran fine till it started to warm up, and then the idle dropped to around 500 RPM's - then it stalled out, but it threw the same code again. Later that day, I found a loose connection on the sensor, so I fixed that and thought "problem solved" right??

Of course NOT.... now it runs fine cold, idle will suddenly drop off when it warms up (just like before), and it dies. Now I have no codes at all, except for 12 - which is normal. I checked the fuel pump also and it seems to pump fine, and the filter's not dirty.

I also switched from a aftermarket coil I had, back to the stock one, and no difference. I hear the MC solinoid working "clicking" as it should. I also removed an air/fuel ratio gage I had hooked up, cause I thought maybe it was causing this problem, but still the same....HELP!!!

I don't want to replace the oxygen sensor and find out the old one was fine, but could the sensor be bad and not throw a code??? I'm seriously fustrated with this. Any help as to what else to check would be great! thanks.

BTW...it's the car in the sig...
Old 07-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Supreme Member

Sorry about the long post above, but just trying to describe what's goin on.

I'm just sooo glad I don't depend on this car to get to work!!

I forgot to mention also that I had the alt checked at Autozone, and they said it was fine...16 volts loaded. I also took a meter to the batt while the lights, electric fan were on, and I got 12.5 volts while it "stumbled" around at 500 RPM's before it died a couple minutes later.....I gotta be missing something obvious....BUT WHAT!!!

And when it dies, it almost sounds like the ignition dies, or maybe it's starving for fuel....AHHHHHHHHH!!!
Old 07-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Wow!!! No ideas yet?? That's worriesome, considering how many gearheads are on this board...

Anyways, UPDATE.......I just replaced my O2 sensor for the h*ll of it, and it started and idled at around 600 or so. I adjusted the idle back up to 800 and at least it's not stalling and generally shutting off now. Seems pretty smooth, but I don't know....

I'm a little skeptical though....shoulda thrown a code still if the sensor was screwed up- right???

I guess I'll double check my carb "Dwell" for the MCS, and reinstall my duel gage pod....AGAIN. But I gotta check my A/F ratio gage again....it quit working the night all this happened also. I don't know if that was just a coincidence or what...

I'm gonna hate throwing everything back together just to find out it's still "bucking".....thanks for any help in advance!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Supreme Member

That's OK - I found it I think.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Rebuilt and modified 350
Transmission: rebuilt T-5
sorry i didnt read this sooner, i had the same problem. If i let it idle down below 1500, itd die. I took the alternator in to be tested, and it was the source of the problem.