Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car Died Today in The middle of the Road...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 02:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Died Today in The middle of the Road...

I was driving along And it just strait Up Died, I pushed it to The Side and Started Tinkering with it, and Discoverd That My Intake was FULL, and im not Exagerating, FULL of Gas. Up over the throttle blades Liquid gasoline just sitting in there. It was Also Leaking out Between the Throttle Body and Intake and Every where else. When I cranked the car, I could SEE Fuel splashing Out the Top of the carb... SPLASHING! lol.

What I think happend was that the Needle Got Stuck, and Fuel Started Flowing Unrestricted Through the Carb, I looked In While the Car was SittinG with pressure Int he Line, and Could See Fuel Dribbling out of the primary Jets. My question is, Why ? My fuel pressure gauge was showing about 9 psi When this Happend, as opposed to a Normal 6-5 PSI. Could It be that the high PSI Overcame the aged Needle and Forced it open ? I swapped the Carb out and it runs fine now, altho the Carb Came off a 454 and its jetted a little Rich For My LG4 ( laff ).
Also, If the Fuel Pump ( 150k On it ) Is jumping from 9 psi sometimes to 5-6 Psi Others, Is it going Bad ? This is Mechanical, BTW.

Any Ideas ? As Fun as it is To Swap Carbs With The Girl you went to Lunch with and about 4 Caltrans Workers Watching You On the Side of the Road... Id Like to Figure out why this Happend So It wont Happen again.

TIA

Oh yeah, One last thing. With this "new" Carb on, My car is ALOT louder, how? This dosent make a whole Lot of Sense To me But the car is really Noticeably louder at idle Through the Exahuast. ive yet to Fine tune the timing, So that **could** be it, But it Seems odd to me that a Carb Change could have anything To Do with the Exahust Tone or Volume. Its a Quadrajet Off a 74 3 Ton dually with 454 that We found in My Buddy's garage. Its not Like any qjet ive ever seen.

Sure Woke My car up tho, Hope it dosent destroy gas milage

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver

Livin' the Stereotype
Old 12-27-2000, 05:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds to me like your needle valve got stuck open, which could be from it being worn out. The other thing I've seen cause this is if you get a chunk of debris in there that prevents the needle from closing all the way. The fuel line fittings on my Holley actually rust if I let the car sit for a long time. Those chunks of rust dislodge sometimes when I drive it again, and it's screwed up my needle valves several times. As far as your car being louder now, my best guess would be that a Quadrajet off a 454 probably has bigger venturis. All that extra air flowing through the carb can make your motor sound noisier. Kinda like a huge toilet flushing ya know! Lol. Oh, by the way, it's normal for your fuel pressure to fluctuate a few psi while the engine is running due to the diaphragm in the pump. As long as you're in the neighborhood of 7-9 psi, you should be ok.

------------------
89RS w/350 TPI; 69RS/SS w/450 HP 350/Muncie 4-Speed "Too weird to live, too rare to die."

[This message has been edited by Pat Hall (edited December 27, 2000).]
Old 12-27-2000, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks Pat, Yeah thats What I had Figured Too.

AS Far as the Qjet having Larger Venturis, I guess that Makes Sense, More Air In is going to equal More air OUt, Right ?

The Question is, Is this To Much Carb For My 305? Since it is Most LIkely an 850 CFM qjet, Im Gonna Go with Yes

------------------

Livin' the Stereotype
Old 12-27-2000, 01:01 PM
jrr

Originally posted by Pat Hall:
Sounds to me like your needle valve got stuck open, which could be from it being worn out. The other thing I've seen cause this is if you get a chunk of debris in there that prevents the needle from closing all the way....
I'll second that! Got your Q-Jet off of a 3-ton truck? I'd definitely rebuild it because those carbs have not been EPA-compromised at all! Just clean it up and rebuild it and it should be good to go as it is.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Well, as Soon as I get a chance Im going to Rebuild the Carb that was originally On the Car, Except **** keeps breaking

I just used this one Because i had it and it works

after tuning it today and driving it around, it is TOO much carb, lol. Gonna drop the Hangers In it from the Other one To see if that helps

------------------

Livin' the Stereotype
Old 12-27-2000, 10:01 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Bort,

Whatever you do to solve your carb problem, you MUST drain all the oil from the crankcase and allow it to air out before attempting to start the engine. I would be tempted to not even crank it, but remove the distributor and prime it with a drill and adapter. If you don't have that option, at least drain and ventilate the case before starting. New oil AND filter are a must.

BTW - you weren't really clear on what kind of car this is. If it's a Ford, disregard the previous instructions. Just start it up - it'll be just fine...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 12-28-2000, 06:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good thinking Vader. I totally forgot to mention that. I remember draining about five gallons of a gas and oil mixture from one of my motors once! Just watch out when you undo the drain plug! Mine came out like Niagara Falls! And yeah, changing your metering rods ought to help lean out that big old carb some.

------------------
89RS w/350 TPI; 69RS/SS w/450 HP 350/Muncie 4-Speed "Too weird to live, too rare to die."
Old 12-28-2000, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Ack ****, Ive been drivbing 2 days Now W/o Doing that

Its My Camaro, Not My Ford

And yeah I leaned out the Rods On the Carb, and the Car runs Really Well Now, a Little hard On Cold start but pulls really well at high RPm, I can barely Keep the friggin wheels On the ground Now.

Off to Change My Oil...

------------------

Livin' the Stereotype
Old 12-28-2000, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Having since Changed My Oil, I went ahead and Changed over to Mobil 1 Synthetic, The Oil came out Dirty, but No gas as Far as I could tell.

Thnx For the Hint on that one, I would have ketp on trucking with that Oil For another thou

------------------

Livin' the Stereotype