Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

need recomindations on a 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: Th350
need recomindations on a 350

I might be buying a 350 motor and turbo 350 from neighbor for 150$. the motor is supposed to be a 4 bolt main and bored .30 over. I was going to build a whole new motors but for money reasons am going to try a different route. My question is what can you guys reccomend to me for top end rebuild. what i need is some good head/cam combonations. for me to think about. Also what hp/tq you think it will bring to the crank.

on a side note do you think this is a good buy.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 PM

Car: 84 Z-28, 01.5 Cummins 3500, 98 Ford
Engine: mild 355, built Turbo Diesel
Transmission: th-350
Axle/Gears: soon to be broken, 3.55's in diesel
Re: need recomindations on a 350

If the engine runs and the trans shifts it's a good deal.... you can rebuild a th-350 for almost nothing if it's in to bad of shape.
btw I'd rather have a 350 that hadn't been bored, so i could have it done myself and not worry about getting it too thin but it not that big of a deal... and if it is a 4 bolt main that's great, i wouldn't run a 2 main.

If neither are any good you could part what you can then scrap both and be out like 30 bucks lol. but it's hard to completely ruin a th-350..... in my experience.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

It would sure help to know what you're starting with, but it sounds like a good deal. Up to 450 horses, you don't need anything better than a 2-bolt-main. But to choose a good cam and heads setup, it would help to know if the pistons are dished, flattop or domed. Also, how much are you thinking of spending? Getting over 400 horses is entirely possible if your budget allows a pair of AFR heads. 450 if your pistons are not dished. What intake manifold are you going to use? You already have headers and exhaust, right? What gears are in your rear axle? We need more info from you.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun
It would sure help to know what you're starting with, but it sounds like a good deal. Up to 450 horses, you don't need anything better than a 2-bolt-main. But to choose a good cam and heads setup, it would help to know if the pistons are dished, flattop or domed. Also, how much are you thinking of spending? Getting over 400 horses is entirely possible if your budget allows a pair of AFR heads. 450 if your pistons are not dished. What intake manifold are you going to use? You already have headers and exhaust, right? What gears are in your rear axle? We need more info from you.

I have an 84 ta. Do you have any pics of yours on here.

For right now i have the stock rear and do plan to up grade to a ford 9 not sure for what gears yet but i do want posi. As for intake i do not have any prefrence right now except for maybe an air gap.

I was thinking about just buying that motor and just putting it in my car for now since i havent got to drive it for over a year now and getting a little antsy. But i know i should just wait till i upgrade it.

Heres what i got done on the car so far.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...t-project.html
Old 03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

Wouldn't it be better to be driving a stock 350 than not driving at all? Then again, a slow sports car can be maddening.
The RPM AirGap is excellent, no doubt, but the Weiand AirStrike, is within 5 ft-lbs from 2000 rpm thru 6000 rpm, on a 400 horse 350, and is around an inch shorter, so I prefer the AirStrike now.
Side note, I do have pics in my garage.
If you're running stock exhaust and 2.73:1 axle, you need to run a milder cam than if you have decent gears and exhaust with headers. Better to install 3.73:1 gears with a stock 350 than a fully built 350 with 2.73:1 gears, unless you're heading out on the Bonneville salt flats, where the 2.73:1 gear is better.
Get gears, headers and exhaust done then worry about cam and heads. The best heads are worth nearly nothing with stock 2.25" single exhaust.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std

Well i think befor we start throwing out recomendations what are you expecting from the car? Is it a daily driven grocery getter that will never see the strip or is this a race car that will never see the street or where inbetwwen? The difference is low end torque vs high end hp. Low end torque will give your a great pressed into the seat feeling off a stop light which for a daily driver is what you want because thats where you primarily need the power. On the flip side high end hp will allow you to run faster times in the 1/4 miles and a higher top speed (not reall a big issue as even the 240 hp 350 TPI camaros could hit about 140-150). The catch is less MPGs less torque, less throttle responce, and streetability may suffer depending how far you go.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder
Well i think befor we start throwing out recomendations what are you expecting from the car? Is it a daily driven grocery getter that will never see the strip or is this a race car that will never see the street or where inbetwwen? The difference is low end torque vs high end hp. Low end torque will give your a great pressed into the seat feeling off a stop light which for a daily driver is what you want because thats where you primarily need the power. On the flip side high end hp will allow you to run faster times in the 1/4 miles and a higher top speed (not reall a big issue as even the 240 hp 350 TPI camaros could hit about 140-150). The catch is less MPGs less torque, less throttle responce, and streetability may suffer depending how far you go.
well i'm using it for more of a street car. but not a daily driver. i may go to the drag once in awhile for fun. i have to get new exhaust any way cause i chopped up the old getting it out. I will get rear gears later on down the line. What i'm looking for is to rebuild the top end and be way better than stock.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Car: 87 formula/69 beetle
Engine: 355/2.1
Transmission: T.C.I streetfighter th350/5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 lsd/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...Q5fAccessories

i got these heads because they were cheap and i wasnt intending on keeping them around for long... ended up keeping them they are much much better than i expected.. skip chose a good set of heads to be selling.

anyway because the runners are so big you will wanna go with a big cam im running those heads with a comp xe268h and 1.6 steel rollers. also speed pro flat tops with 2 valve releifs. ive got an old outdated holley contender on it right now and it breaths pretty well but for what your wanting id say go with a holley dominator or even an edelbrock torquer (the edelbrock will get bad mileage its a single plan i think ask someone else here for that info)
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std

Well for that kinda build i would say you want to build performance in the 1k-5.5k range or maby the 2k-6k but certantly not more than 2.5-6.5k. I would suggest a good set of heads shooting for a high 9 or 10:1 compression. Ide say eather a set of factory vortecs with alittle work would probably do you juat fine or you could go aftermarketand gey something in the 180 runner volume. You could go up to a 200 but for a for a street car thats raced just for fun i think youde be happier with a set of good 180s. For an intake i would stick to the edelbrock performer or the edelbrock performer RPM. You could get the ones with the air gap design they perform great but the catch is if its fairly cold outside (less than sa 40 F) they tend to run kinda poorly due to the lack of a exhaust crossover warming the intake and the cold intake temperatures. For a cam ide suggest if you want more low end stick with something with about 212-218 duration with a lift of .45-.5. For a carb ide go with like a 600 edelbrock performer very reliably street friendly carb. This set up is probably good for a low mid 300 number but would have great torque, economy, throttle responce, and reliability. I know most people would say 300-350 hp is lame but for a street 350 but people always rave about 450 hp 350s and fail to mention or dont realize the negative side effects. Not that they arnt driveable but they are less streetable to say the least and the only place they perform better is in the high RPMs that you hardly ever see on the street. Plus you sacrafice low end torqu for high end hp and although the losses tont seem like much there amplified by the gearing makeing even the smallest loss a very significant one. So in my oppinion its just not worth the sacrafice. This set up would make a great daily driver and still give a bit more punch than what your used to now.