Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

new car, a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 pontiac trans am gta
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory
new car, a few problems

hey everyone im cory and i just picked up an 88 gta 305 tpi. the guy i bought it off of didnt know what he had really, thought it was just a firebird. its been sitting for 2 years ever since he got a new car, well i started driving it after doing a little maintenance on it and theres a few issues id like to straighten out and i was wondering if you guys could help since this is my first third gen.

problem #1 makes a loud clank when i from neutral to drive or any other gear and sometimes when im sitting still and give it gas to accelerate

problem #2 when i first hit the brakes the lights will kinda dim for a split second and then there fine

problem #3 has a slight miss at idle, ive already replaced plugs, plug wires, rotor button, distributor cap, new battery and thermostat. cant figure out what it could be? checked all the vacuum lines...

problem #4 i think the headlight motor is bad on the drivers side, it comes up sometimes then other times it sounds like its rounding off the gear

problem #5 when i use the passenger signal it stays lit after i turn it off but the right front doesnt work and the connections and bulb are good.

well thats about it, lol i know its a big list of issues but id like for everything to work since this will be my dd. thanks in advance guys!!!!

forgot to mention the car has 231,xxx on it, and sometimes its hard to start then sometimes it'll fire right up.

Last edited by overboost07; 03-09-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Re: new car, a few problems

anyone?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 bird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 4 speed automatic

problem 1 sounds like a tranny mount or u-joint
Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Check all the signal, marker, tail, & turn bulbs. Check the bulb sockets.

{There may be some gunk in the sockets from the factory, either a grey or white color. It's to help keep moisture out.}

Look for broken wires on the plug-in type bulbs (like a 194 type bulb), & look for broken glass-to-light socket brass. The lights may look OK to see them, but check the bottoms of them. Check the fillements-make sure they are good.

When the blinkers are "on", can you hear a clicking sound from around the lower dashboard area?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
Check all the signal, marker, tail, & turn bulbs. Check the bulb sockets.

{There may be some gunk in the sockets from the factory, either a grey or white color. It's to help keep moisture out.}

Look for broken wires on the plug-in type bulbs (like a 194 type bulb), & look for broken glass-to-light socket brass. The lights may look OK to see them, but check the bottoms of them. Check the fillements-make sure they are good.

When the blinkers are "on", can you hear a clicking sound from around the lower dashboard area?

yea i can barely hear it
Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi 3:27

about your headlights. rebuild kits are pretty cheap. i had a similar problem with mine. there are three plastic cams inside that crack after time and disintegrate. once you replace those if your connections are good your lights should work like new as far as popping up and down
Old 03-10-2010, 12:06 AM

well yours must be different than mine, i took the motor of and apart and its got one plastic gear thats sheared off the teeth....wonder where i could get just a new gear?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:49 PM

good news found out why it was missing and hard to start, finally tracked it down to a vacuum line cracked on the backside of the intake. took the headlight motor apart and found the teeth on the big gear inside were sheered off. checked all the bulbs on the signal circuit and one was backwards so that fixed that. then finally found a loose ground near the battery so that fixed the dimming lights. now i just gotta figure out what the clanking is in the rear...