Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Any personal experiences with "stop leak" products???

Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Any personal experiences with "stop leak" products???

I know the best way to fix a bad head gasket is to replace it but... I need to keep this car running for just a few more months before I tear into it. I'd like to know if any of you have had any luck with the quick fix "stop leak" type products. I have a 90 Firebird w/a 305 that has a bad head gasket. There's no water in the oil but there's a lot of steam out of the exhaust. There's dozens of these products on the market but I've never been in a position where I couldn't just stop driving the vehicle until I had a chance to change the gaskets so I've never had any experience with them. ANY info/advice would be appreciated. I just need a quick, dependable, short term fix so I can drive it a little longer. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro vert
Engine: ls1 soon
Transmission: t56 soon
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt 4.10 soon!
Re: Any personal experiences with "stop leak" products???

depending on which side it is, driver vs. passenger side. its not that hard.. maybe a 3 hr. job for someone that doesnt have any experience.. just that passenger side has more stuff blocking it.. but if u look at it u will be able to figure it out, as for the stop leak stuff i wouldnt use it if ur ganna be driving for a few months that stuff is really only for emergeny use as if stuck on the side of the road kinda situation.. i had a 92 civic hatch back.. pos mind u.. i beat the crap outta it and used that for work/ off road fun lol and used stop leak on the rad and it only lasted about a week and after contuined use it made it alot worse.. not that i really cared.. but still .. if u want i can pretty much walk u threw the head gasket replacement if u want just pm me all u will need is a gasket set for the intake and head gasket and some gasket rtv and basic socket set pretty much
Old 10-24-2010, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Formula WS6, 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 305 TBI, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4w/vette servos
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Open, 3.42 Open

Replacing head gaskets on an sbc is probably the easiest engine to do it on. Plus it's all cast iron so you shouldn't need to worry about getting the heads planed or anything like that. I wouldn't trust any of the stop leak products. I have a friend with a four banger fox mustang, his headgasket started leaking a little coolant so he decided to use some stop leak stuff to buy him some time. It worked but when we went to fix it the right way the head was stuck and we spent a good three hours getting it off with out breaking anything and another two hours scraping the **** off the head and block.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:37 AM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 4 bolt 350 out of a 78 chevy pickup
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: posi, 3.73

If you're going to use any stopleak go with a bars formula... They make one that you can see a lttle bit of black goo in the bottom of the bottle, that's basically a liquid rtv that shouldnt give you any issues as far as the head being stuck or anything.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:39 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI

In my experiance Stop Leak has caused me to have to replace 3 waterpumps. Two on my cars and one on my Mothers car. It is really meant for emergancy use only. All three times the pumps went out within 2 - 4 months after using it. So from now now on if I have to use it as a last resort to get home or to a shop I will. I will then drain it ASAP!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Car: 92 Jamaican Yellow Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Any stop leak is temporary at best. Change it ASAP. If you get oil in your cooling system, you will need the radiator to be boiled out at a shop, which is extra $$. I don't know what years, but my 305 has torque to yield head bolts. Get new bolts for less than 20 bucks. Torque to yield basically means they stretch. Also, use a spray called Kopper Koat. This basically is a spray with copper in it that helps dissipate hot spots across the head. Also, get the surface of the head ground flat. There is a reason you blew a head gasket.................(or it is seeping).
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I've always advised others to avoid the quick fix stop leak stuff but there's so many new brands on the market I was just hoping, maybe, one of them worked as advertised. I lucked out and bought a little truck for next to nothing. I'll drive it and let the FB sit til I have some spare time to change the head gaskets. IF I ever have any spare time. What's a running, driving, 305, '90 Firebird, with a blown head gasket worth these days?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwande
Any stop leak is temporary at best. Change it ASAP. If you get oil in your cooling system, you will need the radiator to be boiled out at a shop, which is extra $$. I don't know what years, but my 305 has torque to yield head bolts. Get new bolts for less than 20 bucks. Torque to yield basically means they stretch. Also, use a spray called Kopper Koat. This basically is a spray with copper in it that helps dissipate hot spots across the head. Also, get the surface of the head ground flat. There is a reason you blew a head gasket.................(or it is seeping).
Good point about that. i always use a similar product
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fgraves73
Thanks for all the info guys. I've always advised others to avoid the quick fix stop leak stuff but there's so many new brands on the market I was just hoping, maybe, one of them worked as advertised. I lucked out and bought a little truck for next to nothing. I'll drive it and let the FB sit til I have some spare time to change the head gaskets. IF I ever have any spare time. What's a running, driving, 305, '90 Firebird, with a blown head gasket worth these days?
I paid $500 for an RS that runs fine but I'm yanking the engine anyway during the restoration
Old 10-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: Built 312
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

They don't work worth a crap. They're bad for your heater core, too.

ALWAYS use new headbolts.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Ive had it for almost a year and havnt had any problems. Im sure my leak was very minor. If its not a very bad leak i say go for it. Just follow the instructions to a t. Forgot to add i have no heater core, so i had no worries about that.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by meth64
Ive had it for almost a year and havnt had any problems. Im sure my leak was very minor. If its not a very bad leak i say go for it. Just follow the instructions to a t. Forgot to add i have no heater core, so i had no worries about that.

What brand did you use?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

You likely have a cracked head. Be sure to get your heads pressure tested before reinstalling them.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Ya know im trying to remember.. It was the orange can, not a bottle.. i think it was block seal or simular.. sorry i cant totaly remember but it was the only orange can of sealer from auto zone.. was about 8 bucks.