Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

89 camaro shuts off while driving?please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 camaro shuts off while driving?please help!

Okay, so I'm going to try to make this least confusing as possible. The main idea is basically when I drive, sometimes, my 89 camaro RS 305 TBI sometimes shuts off while I'm driving down the road. Il be driving steadily about 40-45mph at about 1700 rpm or so, and the the rpm gauge drops to 0 and the car dies as I'm driving. The I press harder on the accelerator and it comes back. Sometimes it will continue to mess up and other times it will keep doing it. Same thing at stop lights/signs, il pull up, stop, and the rpms will drop and the car will try to stay running by jumping up the rpm then it dies.and I have to start it up and try again. It's annoying, and kind of scary when driving it 30 minutes one way to work; so I need to get it fixed. Any ideas as to what it could be? I was thinking maybe something with the fuel delivery system, fuel pump or filter. Also, so far, this issue has only occurred when the car has been driven about 20 minutes or so, so when it's warmed up pretty well. I'm not sure if it's overheating and somehow that's causing the problem, i dont know. So any help would be great! Thanks you guys!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro RS--
Engine: MPFI
Transmission: 700r4
Re: 89 camaro shuts off while driving?please help!

Bump it for you
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM

the same exact thing for me as well.. the RPMs will bog and i can try to keep it alive by pumping the gas but it still dies. i cant get it to crank back up until its cooled off a bit and when i try to crank it the fuel pump makes a nasty sound.( like a dieing cat sound ). so if anyone has any info about it please post
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 PM

Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: 305

Mine started doing this right before the fuel pump went out.... Lets just hope its not the fuel pump.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 PM

when i bought my 88 irocz it had sat for a while so the fuel pump and sending unit was rusted bad. and did the research and having to drop the rear axle to get to the tank i wasnt gonna do. so its under warranty if it needs to be replaced. my dad doesnt think its the fuel pump being the problem because it drives fine until it shuts off.

PS it also starts humming after 20-30 mins and eventually gets louder and louder til i can hear it over my radio and pipes...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 PM

I changed mine myself and I didnt have to drop the axle. You just have to remove two of the braces and the exhaust if its in the way. The tank straps and unhook the sending unit from the car. Simple but time consuming.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 PM

i dont know i have haynes repair book and it said id have to drop the axle and i really wanted to finally start driving it so just had a mechanic do it. it drives like a champ but the fuel pump keeps getting louder and eventually shuts me down. so idk what to do with it.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM

Ya I used the same book. But it really isn't necessary to drop it. I'm not good with the names but there are two bars that run to both sides of the car, just take those off its probably 10 bolts I think? Definitely cheaper than a mechanic
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Does it happen when low on gas or does it with a full tank too?
When you get gas, does it release alot of pressure?

Try a lil drive without the gas cap & see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM

ive tried all the tricks i can think of. if i throw the ventilator check valve on and drive a lot of pressure builds up if i take it off no pressure builds up. full tank or low tank of gas. it always starts humming. ya i broke down on a full tank of gas. and it does hum even with no pressure in the tank.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Is that a new vent?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM

no its a stock piece it comes out of a metal line from a tank and allows a certain amount of pressure to stay in the tank and when pressure builds up it lets out the excess.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 AM

i have been told that it might be the fuel prssure regulator so says an old mechanic that used to work on them when they still had maufacturer warranty
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by dirtbiker95
Okay, so I'm going to try to make this least confusing as possible. The main idea is basically when I drive, sometimes, my 89 camaro RS 305 TBI sometimes shuts off while I'm driving down the road. Il be driving steadily about 40-45mph at about 1700 rpm or so, and the the rpm gauge drops to 0 and the car dies as I'm driving. The I press harder on the accelerator and it comes back. Sometimes it will continue to mess up and other times it will keep doing it. Same thing at stop lights/signs, il pull up, stop, and the rpms will drop and the car will try to stay running by jumping up the rpm then it dies.and I have to start it up and try again. It's annoying, and kind of scary when driving it 30 minutes one way to work; so I need to get it fixed. Any ideas as to what it could be? I was thinking maybe something with the fuel delivery system, fuel pump or filter. Also, so far, this issue has only occurred when the car has been driven about 20 minutes or so, so when it's warmed up pretty well. I'm not sure if it's overheating and somehow that's causing the problem, i dont know. So any help would be great! Thanks you guys!
Originally Posted by Caniac
i dont know i have haynes repair book and it said id have to drop the axle and i really wanted to finally start driving it so just had a mechanic do it. it drives like a champ but the fuel pump keeps getting louder and eventually shuts me down. so idk what to do with it.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check fuel pressure and volume. Harder to do on TBI but can be done. Remove fuel filter and blow thru if restricted you can tell. Engine does restart every time after stall? If not also check for spark. Do not check fuel and spark at the same time.(fire issue)
Joe
Old 07-11-2017, 08:10 AM

Re85 camaro shuts off while driving? Starts back up. Then engine lights go's on.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:54 PM

Seeing this now years later , having same issue with 88 iroc z and wondered what was the final solution to the problem? Thank you Anyone else seeing this feel free to reply
Old 10-29-2019, 04:39 PM

Get a new ignition module. It's located under the cap and rotor on the distributor. When the module over heats it stops working. Give that a try, I'm sure it will be the issue.