Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car stalling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: t56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Car stalling problems

Recently I've had an issue where my car will drop to very low rpms and stall while I'm driving, specifically when I push in the clutch and am slowing down. I don't know if this is related but sometimes when I try to start my car after it's been sitting overnight the first turn of the ignition is chugs and then dies after about 2 seconds of running and then on the second turn it starts up perfectly.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: Car stalling problems

I would suspect that the starting issue would be fuel supply related. That the pump is slow in reaching full pressure. You don't specify whether your engine is the TBI or the TPI. The TPI may be starting have injector issues that are causing trouble at warm idle and also on cold start. These are two operating modes where even a small fueling issue can cause problems. Check your fuel pressure with a gauge to verify that it comes up and stays up on engine start and while driving.

Another possibility is vacuum leaks. Check your engine over for any cracked hoses. If any hoses are hard, replace them. You can use brake cleaner to spray around vacuum lines with the engine idling and listen for changes in the idle that would indicate a leak.

How's your engine's state of tune? Think about looking at your plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Check your air filter. Check your throttle body for coking around the blades. Clean the TB using carb cleaner and a rag. Fuel filter and PCV valve.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: t56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Sorry for not clarifying, it's a TPI. I should also note that I've had the check engine light on for the past couple of weeks and it's indicating a code 22 (low voltage to tps) could that have anything to do with it?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Definitely yes. "TPS voltage low" means that the ECM is seeing very low signal voltage from the TPS. This will definitely cause stalling and other issues as well. You should be able to find the trouble tree for this code through a search on this site. Just enter "code 22" into the search window. I'm sure that as common as this code is, someone has posted the trouble tree for it. You will basically be checking signal voltage with a DVOM and/or scan tool. Then verify 5v on the reference circuit to the sensor and signal circuit integrity to the ECM.