Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car Stalling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Stalling Problem

hello everyone, new here and to camaros, just bought my first one about a year ago...91' camaro RS.

Few months ago it started randomly stalling while i was out driving with a friend, it would crank right up though after it stalled (this happened while i was on a major 8 lane road, not very fun). So i took it to the shop figuring it was most likely electrical and had the ignition module replaced.

drove fine for a few weeks then 2 days in a row after id been driving for at least 15mins it would stall on me at a stop light or being stopped for a few mins. Right before it stalls though the check engine light will come on, then when i crank it back up the pcm will reset the light. Ive brought it to 2 shops now and neither can tell me for sure what the problem is, just recently had a new O2 sensor replaced and the fuel lines cleaned, it hasnt stalled on me since then but yesterday when i was stopped at a long stop light the check engine light came on and i could hear the rpms fluctuate like it was about to stall, but it didnt.

This car is my daily driver not a garage project so i cant really afford to just play around with things, im fairly mechanically inclined ( still learning as far as auto related), but im limited by where i live, i cant do any major repairs outside on the street. And my local mechanic keeps tryna feed me BS about this problem "well its a old car, it could be anything".

Any help would be appreciated

I read the other thread "car keeps dying" but im not sure if its the same problem, so i made this thread
Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: The Wicked six'ah
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.08's
Re: Car Stalling Problem

yup same car same problem. 91 rs 3.1 auto. Runs very good, but tonite 8pm on my way home from work (was 90* here today) i noticed the idle was really rough at a red light, so i touched the throttle, and it went away immediately. mile down the road cruising 50mph it completely stopped running and came right back before it died 100%. another mile or two, does the same thing but keeps it self running VERY VERY rough give it alittle throttle and it died....... so i pull over cycle the pump a few times listening for irregular noises. sounds fine, car starts right up. another mile later same fn ting. and all the fn way home. fuel pump is BRAND new. Tank is full to the brim. Im leaning towards Injector(s) or Regulator. but i dunno i hate working on my own stuff.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: Automatic

I have a similar problem with my 88' firebird. It stalled out on me on my way home from work today just after I pulled off of a major highway. I had slowed down to about 20 mph and was about to hit the gas again and it died completely. I pulled off and turned everything off, pumped it a couple times and tried it and it started back up. It ran fine the rest of the way home.

Also, I was backing it out of the garage the other day and it stalled out in the driveway. Again though, turn it off, pump it and it starts back up.

It is not a huge problem when going at slow speeds like this, but if it were to happen when on the highway it could be bad.

Does anybody know what the problem is??
Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: The Wicked six'ah
Axle/Gears: stock 3.08's

Its not that hard to Check, But my Good running to all of a sudden very rough running to a stall issue ended up stranding me one day. Fuel Injector was Shorting out. Pulling the top plenum off is NOT a hard task. I would definetly Check the Resistance in all 6 injectors Should be 12-14 Ohms. No more, No less. I Changed just one, a week later another one went out. So i did all 6 of mine and WOW what a freaking difference sitting a stop light even with the A/C on. no more annoying rough idle/shake. If it Does Strand you..... Pull One Injector plug off, try to start it. if it doesnt change, plug it back in and and go to the next inj. If your having the same issue as i did
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird convertible
Engine: 3.1 soon to be 3.4/3100
Axle/Gears: original gears, for now

Something to check if you are at home, Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and cycle the pump. You don;t need to start it, just cycle it. Watch the gauge to see if the pressure drops off when you turn the key off. If the pressure drops for than 5 to 10 lbs from the optimum pf 40-45 LBS then pinch off the rubber return line and try again. If it still drops off you have a bad injector. If not its the relay. If it doesn't drop off, then both are OK. Just went through this with my 1991 Firebird 3.1.