Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Sign SEMA's petition against new EPA

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Sign SEMA's petition against new EPA

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...les-racecars-0

Although the petition has already reached the required number of signatures (100,000) to "require" a look by the Obama administration everyone who can, should sign the petition. And yes, I understand that these petitions were mostly just an empty promise by the Obama administration to get elected and that they usually go nowhere.

At the heart of the matter is this:
“Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines.”

For what I recall emissions equipment is only lawfully required if you wish to drive the vehicle on public roadways. You can remove emissions equipment if its a drag/autocross/road race "only" vehicle because that is private property. This new regulation by the good ol EPA seeks to make it unlawful to remove it for any reason.

Sign the petition, Call/fax/email your US representative and senator. Don't fall for whatever spiel the EPA gives to get this past, this is them trying to extend their power. You don't ask for a credit limit increase and then say "but don't worry, I won't ever use it."
Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Sign SEMA's petition against new EPA

It's my understanding that we have already passed the 'debate period' for this particular aspect of the rules package that was enacted.... So, technically, it's 'too late'. Will the EPA get away with this? Probably. Will folks ignore this particular rule? You bet.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ploegi
It's my understanding that we have already passed the 'debate period' for this particular aspect of the rules package that was enacted.... So, technically, it's 'too late'. Will the EPA get away with this? Probably. Will folks ignore this particular rule? You bet.
If that's your understanding than you need to retake a government class. Even if it was past whatever "debate period" we can repeal or replace laws here in America. I take it you're part of the roll over and take it crowd? For the rest of you that aren't here is where you start to contact your senator and representative to tell them that this is something that we DO NOT want: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

41 views so far, I hope that 41 more signatures and at least 41 more letters to a congressman!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23

What really needs to happen IMO, is that the people vote in a new president that will take away law making powers from the EPA. That power bypasses Congress and is unlawful. Just like the "healthcare act" is unlawful sales of federal mandate across state lines. All this BS is a wakeup call. Has been for the past 8 years, but people have such short term memories....
Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Supreme Court just ruled against the new Obama/EPA executive orders (which I believe include the one mentioned by the OP), but they didn't kill them. They just sent them back to the lower court with advisory. So, it's not over yet.

That being said, there's no way I'm going on a government website unless forced to. Especially not under this president. I'll probably end up under IRS audit every year for the rest of my life. For sure, your name ends up on "a list". Besides, why would you petition the guy who's doing it to you in the first place (pretty please with sugar on top, please change your mind)?

If this man cared about the Constitution or what a majority of Americans wanted he wouldn't need that stupid web petition. Unfortunately, he does not.

Find another way. This one is a dry hole.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Damon
The Supreme Court just ruled against the new Obama/EPA executive orders (which I believe include the one mentioned by the OP), but they didn't kill them. They just sent them back to the lower court with advisory. So, it's not over yet.

That being said, there's no way I'm going on a government website unless forced to. Especially not under this president. I'll probably end up under IRS audit every year for the rest of my life. For sure, your name ends up on "a list". Besides, why would you petition the guy who's doing it to you in the first place (pretty please with sugar on top, please change your mind)?

If this man cared about the Constitution or what a majority of Americans wanted he wouldn't need that stupid web petition. Unfortunately, he does not.

Find another way. This one is a dry hole.
You need to do much more than sign a petition to receive an IRS audit. You need to do something on the national level that really makes you stand out such as host a show about guns or hunting or about a point of view different then his, or be an executive/administrator/lawyer at a place he vehemently disagrees with.

As I said in my initial post I understand the whole petition concept was just an empty promise to get him elected. If the is a "dry hole" then write or call your representative but saying whoa is me this wont work will get you nowhere. Contact your lawmakers. In the time you've taken to read and respond to my post you could have written all three of your elected officials. It took me 5 minutes to look them up, write a letter and copy and paste it to all of them.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tibo
If that's your understanding than you need to retake a government class. Even if it was past whatever "debate period" we can repeal or replace laws here in America. I take it you're part of the roll over and take it crowd? For the rest of you that aren't here is where you start to contact your senator and representative to tell them that this is something that we DO NOT want: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

41 views so far, I hope that 41 more signatures and at least 41 more letters to a congressman!
My my, hostile, and insulting, in the same post....... Good way to win my support..... Or not.

Trouble is, this isn't a "law", it's the EPA writing a "clarification", and amending rules that are already in place. (and have been since about 1970) There are far bigger concerns than just myself that are going to be fighting this tooth and nail. You know, like EVERY major aftermarket parts manufacturer.....

I do believe, that in order to 'repeal' this particular aspect of the regulations, you would need to take down the entire clean air act, that gives the EPA jurisdiction here..... Now, I am most certainly not a lawyer.... so, I could be wrong.....

In any event, the big-money folks are going to be going after this. My support doesn't mean a fart in the wind. (aside from the fact I have already signed it, just 'because'.....)
Old 02-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ploegi
My my, hostile, and insulting, in the same post....... Good way to win my support..... Or not.

Trouble is, this isn't a "law", it's the EPA writing a "clarification", and amending rules that are already in place. (and have been since about 1970) There are far bigger concerns than just myself that are going to be fighting this tooth and nail. You know, like EVERY major aftermarket parts manufacturer.....

I do believe, that in order to 'repeal' this particular aspect of the regulations, you would need to take down the entire clean air act, that gives the EPA jurisdiction here..... Now, I am most certainly not a lawyer.... so, I could be wrong.....

In any event, the big-money folks are going to be going after this. My support doesn't mean a fart in the wind. (aside from the fact I have already signed it, just 'because'.....)
What's insulting is that people seem content on doing nothing because of whatever excuse. I can see now that this was a waste of my time.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I signed so hope it helps. Damn communist government.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

What's insulting is that people seem content on doing nothing because of whatever excuse. I can see now that this was a waste of my time.
Right. I should fight a battle I can make zero difference just because. Noted.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I think you just like to argue. Here is the reason to do it. It might help and it certainly won't hurt and you have already spent more time arguing about it than it would take to sign the thing.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mmadden55
I think you just like to argue. Here is the reason to do it. It might help and it certainly won't hurt and you have already spent more time arguing about it than it would take to sign the thing.

Good point. I already signed it though. (before I even saw this thread)
Old 02-14-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23

Not a waste of your time. Keep up the good fight! The legal fight, as long as the Constitution lasts in this country. Until then, lead.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 754 Likes on 580 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by UltRoadWarrior9
Not a waste of your time. Keep up the good fight! The legal fight, as long as the Constitution lasts in this country. Until then, lead.
You got that right. They work for us, not the other way around.

I didn't comment on this here, but I posted about it on 4 other forums, and passed it on to all of my friends in racing and the old car hobby.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc 5.7,67 SS Camaro,90 Formula
Engine: 355 AFR Superram LPE 219
Transmission: 700r4 3000 stall 4spd 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I hope this doesn't pass
Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 754 Likes on 580 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Well, as far as the EPA is concerned, this is a clarification of a rule as old as the clean air act itself.

EPA: Race cars have always required factory emissions equipment

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ns/?refer=news