Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

help an aussie, Interior fan, A/C, TBI Quadrajet and speedo hassles on '84 L69

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help an aussie, Interior fan, A/C, TBI Quadrajet and speedo hassles on '84 L69

Just bought my first camaro, and being australian i'm not familiar with the TBI and AC configuration. I'm sure the conversion from LHD to RHD drive is responsible for all my woes.

1. there is hardly any air coming out of the vents when the fan is on max, i checked the vac lines behind the controls as per that great artilce in FAQ and they where disconnected but still no joy,there is a vacum as i can hear it equalise when i turn the engine off - any ideas?

2. the quadrajet has had both the primary and secondary airvalves wired wide open and glued?? I'm asuming this is responsible for the bog at half throttle when the secondaries are opening letting in too much air, why the hell would this have been done? again a good write in faq will help me set it back. there are 4 wires that have been cut and looped near the choke - are these for the choke pull off? what is the tapping niose coming from the carb when i turn the ignition on that lasts for a minute? The engine flashes 13 and 32 - are these related to the carb being pegged?
is L69 engine supposed to have a manual fuel pump or is this a bodgy.

3. the a/c doesn't work, natuarly since its been 40 deg celcius all summer in oz. i can handle the vac, leak test, regas,swapping the filter drier, and checking the two pressure switches but where is the evaporator (or is it the condenser - whatever) in the dash. how can i get to it, are there any common leaks in these systems i should look for first? No point fixing this untill the vents drama is sorted.

4. the speedo is way out and doesn't work below 20mph and trip doesn't turn at all. the 700R has just been overhauled by a fairly reputable company before i bought it and they assure me the driven geras are ok, i'll check gears anyway but can hear the cable vibrating behing the speedo at low speed. can i remove the instrument cluster without pulling the whole dash off? are there any common faults i should investigate.

cheers
Old 01-02-2002, 06:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
a/c

I'm no expert on a/c but if the system is not charged, I don't believe the fan will kick into a maximum "blow" mode when placed on the high setting. I think that is controlled by the a/c pressure switch (no pressure/no high speed fan).
Probably time to check the speedo cables in the car. They bind up over the years if not lubricated.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
1. Check all the wiring behind the A/C control head, and around the blower motor. It sounds like some of the wires are unplugged somewhere. I have no idea where they would have put the blower in a RH drive conversion so I can't be much help there. High speed has nothing to do with any pressure switch o one of these cars, it's controlled by the switch in the dash and a relay that started out life near the blower motor.

2. They did that because they are idiots. You are correct, a slammed open secondary air valve will make the car bog something awful. The valve over the primaries is the choke, so you don't have a working one of those either. Unwire the sec AV and set its spring tension to about 5/8 of a turn on the screw. Can't say about the 4 wires, tell us what color they are and maybe we can identify them. Only one works the choke. The ticking noise is the mixture control solenoid; it is normal; that's a good thing, it's doing what it's supposed to. The L69 is supposed to have a mechanical ( I don't know about "manual".... that's good for a humorous mental picture! lol) fuel pump on the side of the block, so that also is normal.

3. Most common A/C leaks on these cars are the rubber lines. The evaporator itself rarely fails, nor does the condenser (except for rock damage and the like). If the system has no pressure in it now, I would recommend repacing both pieces of rubber line, all the O-rings, the orifice tube (a white plastic thing that lives in the smaller line going into the evaporator), and the accumulator; then charging it up. Turn the compressor and make sure it's not seized up or otherwise fornicated, if it doesn't seem right, get one off a junk car or something. Lots of GM cars have the exact same compressor, it doesn't have to come off of a Camaro or Firebird.

4. Remove the screws holding the bezel on (about 10 of them); then 2 nuts (10mm IIRC) in the 2 bottom corners of the cluster, down in cavities among the light bulbs; slide some speedo cable into the car from under the hood; and reach around behind the cluster and push in the cab;e's little clip, and pull the cable off the cluster. It takes less than 5 minutes to get the cluster out of one of these cars. You probably need to grease the cable; the center of it just pulls out once you have removed the cluster, use white lithium grease on it. The trip meters are famous for failing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may be able to find a good used one but it's not too likely.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:50 PM

thanks mate, speedo works a treat but still having dramas with the vent airflow.

The interior / exterior air source vac motor is working fine on its setting, as is the max blow setting, lots of good noise coming from the blower but stuff all air from the dash vents.

I've tried a good vac source on the on the other motors but either they aren't moving or are blocked. I'm pulling offthe dash this weekend to see why the heater core has been bypassed and will perform open heart surgery.

thanks for the help,
Old 01-03-2002, 10:28 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Salt,

Welcome Aboard!

Those who have already replied have covered the basics rather well. Since it appears that you have several carburetor problems, I thought this may help a bit for your E4ME Rochester:

If that isn't clear, I have a higher resolution image I can email.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:15 PM

Good one! some of the linkage has also been removed and now i now what it looks like. This will sound like a stupid question to you guys, but....

When i pull back the throttle, and am looking down the throat there is only fuel flow from the primary jets all the way to wide open.

here it comes.....

is there supposed to be fuel delivered in the secondaries?

We had quads in our local v8's back in the 70/80's naturally with no computer control, and i'm used to seeing 5 dollars in fuel dissapear whenever i did this through 2 jets in the primary and secondary chambers. Why is it 4bbl setup if there is no fuel going in?

cheers
Old 01-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The Q-Jet doesn't have a secondary accelerator pump, so you will not see it shoot fuel when the throttles are opened. It has a different system for delivering the enrichment shot of gas at initial throttle opening, that only works if the engine is under a load.

The secondary main nozzles will definitely deliver fuel if there's enough air flow through the venturis. Again, that's pretty hard to duplicate with the car out of gear.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by salty
The interior / exterior air source vac motor is working fine on its setting, as is the max blow setting, lots of good noise coming from the blower but stuff all air from the dash vents.
i have heard other people on the board talk about inselation blocking the heater core. i had a cavalier where the ac assembely inside the dash was was plugged. what happened is that the air conditioner cooled it down and water condensed. the drain was plugged so dirt coming in via the fan motor caked on and formed a film of crap (king of like muck). the result was that the fan made a lot of noise but would't blow. the ac didn't work worth a damn either. the air had to through the ac unit first before it could blow out the vents. so check out for restricted airflow by both the heating and ac cores. i had to remove the fan to inspect/reach down and clean the ac core, but again, that was a cavalier.